Tips for starting at 1st level?

Are you new to DCC? Are you loaded down with questions to ask before you begin play? Explore this section for answers and insights -- and ask your own questions -- about getting started with the Dungeon Crawl Classics Roleplaying Game...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

GBLASTER
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Sword & Board

Tips for starting at 1st level?

Post by GBLASTER »

I want to ease my D&D group into DCC.

I've already started homebrewing in bits of the DCC magic system to my 5e game (spell checks, manifestations, corruptions), and its been really fun.

The idea of the 0-level funnel doesn't appeal to my players, So I'm looking at starting them at level 1.

Any tips on character creation for level 1's? Things to avoid?
I'd rather have the group roll their own characters than just randomly generating them.
Father Goose
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: N/A

Re: Tips for starting at 1st level?

Post by Father Goose »

Lankhmar does not use zero level characters or the Funnel. You could introduce them via the Lankhmar Box Set and go from there.
GBLASTER
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Sword & Board

Post by GBLASTER »

Father Goose wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:41 am Lankhmar does not use zero level characters or the Funnel. You could introduce them via the Lankhmar Box Set and go from there.
Does that Lankhmar box set include rules for setting up lvl 1's? or does it merely reference the core rules?
Father Goose
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: N/A

Post by Father Goose »

GBLASTER wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:41 pm
Father Goose wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:41 am Lankhmar does not use zero level characters or the Funnel. You could introduce them via the Lankhmar Box Set and go from there.
Does that Lankhmar box set include rules for setting up lvl 1's? or does it merely reference the core rules?
I would have to look again at the specifics, but generally everything ties back to the core book.
I do know that it discusses how to create your level 1 character to be on par with a PC that reached level 1 via a Funnel.

Return to “DCC College - New Judges Start Here”