Patrons and Familiars Before Play

Are you new to DCC? Are you loaded down with questions to ask before you begin play? Explore this section for answers and insights -- and ask your own questions -- about getting started with the Dungeon Crawl Classics Roleplaying Game...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

ElectricPaladin
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Games of Berkeley

Patrons and Familiars Before Play

Post by ElectricPaladin »

Another silly question... if you were running a game that started at 1st level or had a downtime between 0th and 1st level, would you let characters start with familiars and/or patrons?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Patrons and Familiars Before Play

Post by Raven_Crowking »

ElectricPaladin wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:06 am Another silly question... if you were running a game that started at 1st level or had a downtime between 0th and 1st level, would you let characters start with familiars and/or patrons?
Yes, but I would have the player decide which to do first, and how much spellburn they wanted to spend. Then I would secretly roll 1d30 to determine the number of days which pass from that point to their first adventure. And I would make it clear that was going to happen. That way, there is a risk inherent to spellburn....and to determining which spell to cast in which order. No matter what the characters are doing when the clock runs out - including being midway through casting a spell - the circumstance that starts the adventure begins.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “DCC College - New Judges Start Here”