Converting Adventures

Are you new to DCC? Are you loaded down with questions to ask before you begin play? Explore this section for answers and insights -- and ask your own questions -- about getting started with the Dungeon Crawl Classics Roleplaying Game...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Ryan Kent
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Converting Adventures

Post by Ryan Kent »

Does anyone have any advice for quick and dirty conversion of 5th Edition adventures into something suitable for play using DCC?
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Converting Adventures

Post by finarvyn »

I don't have to get into too much detail, but there are a couple guys who have posted some great ideas on conversions to and from DCC.

I think the key is that a lot of the material can be used as-is since DCC is based on the 3E SRD, as is C&C and many of the clones. 5E has a lot of the same stuff as well -- AC ranges, attribute ranges, and so on -- so that they are all "the same" in fundamental mechanics. The key is to recognize when things upset the game's balance, such as putting a Pathfinder stat bonus of +20 into a DCC campaign with a much lower bonus cap.

Basically, I use most 5E stuff without much of an edit at all other than the guideline that a DCC level seems to roughly equate to 2 D&D levels of most editions. Since I run my games with an old school philosophy that encounters are not "supposed" to be balanced, there isn't a lot that I actually convert.

Not sure if that helps. I can add in more if you need!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Ryan Kent
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ryan Kent »

I was wondering about how to convert damage, DC, HP, etc. What i have been doing is just finding a reasonable facsimile in the DCC book or module and re-skinning. However, if I missed something I wanted to know some formulae for conversion.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Here are some general ideas about conversion: https://ravencrowking.blogspot.com/2013 ... o-dcc.html

Here are some examples: https://ravencrowking.blogspot.com/2016 ... ntain.html

Here is a deep dive into the stat block: https://ravencrowking.blogspot.com/2018 ... crawl.html
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Post by BanjoJohn »

I don't have any codified rules, but I really haven't had trouble just dividing HD/Levels by two for anything that is printed in 5E, and then just using it mostly-as-is in DCC. Stat bonuses are certainly different, but you can just keep the stats the same and alter the bonus. You gotta get rid of proficiency bonus and add in attack bonus. I dunno. I guess DCC being very close to 3.5e D&D just makes it super familiar to me, and changing 5E to 3.5E isn't that hard. I tend not to worry too much about damage/hp or whatever else, since DCC is very swingy to begin with.
Ryan Kent
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ryan Kent »

Thanks. I will give it a try winging it as needed. I prefer finding a comparable stat block and re skinning if one is available.
qstor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by qstor »

damiendada wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:56 am Hi, thanks for your help with the conversion.
Some one posted a Google drive link on 5e conversions on the DCC Rocks! Fb group today.
"I waste it with my Hackmaster +12" Dave KODT

Twitter: @qstor2

Return to “DCC College - New Judges Start Here”