Giants in combat

Are you new to DCC? Are you loaded down with questions to ask before you begin play? Explore this section for answers and insights -- and ask your own questions -- about getting started with the Dungeon Crawl Classics Roleplaying Game...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Panzersonor
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Miniature Market

Giants in combat

Post by Panzersonor »

A bit puzzled....in combat, a hill giant is rolling 1D24 with +15 melee. How is it really going to miss unless it fumbles? i.e He is fighting a warrior PC with a 16 armor class. If the giant rolls a 5 then adds +15=20, seems to me you don’t stand much of a chance. What am I missing?

Thanks for the guidance!

John
thogard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Giants in combat

Post by thogard »

Giants are are scary! A warrior shouldn't want to get up close with one (unless enlarged?). Ranged attacks, magic, mighty deeds, good tactics. Smart players might try effects that hamper the giant's attack.

The one time I threw a giant at a 4th level party, she fumbled her first attack and was quickly overwhelmed.
Panzersonor
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Panzersonor »

thogard wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:51 am Giants are are scary! A warrior shouldn't want to get up close with one (unless enlarged?). Ranged attacks, magic, mighty deeds, good tactics. Smart players might try effects that hamper the giant's attack.

The one time I threw a giant at a 4th level party, she fumbled her first attack and was quickly overwhelmed.
Haha-great info and makes sense. Thanks for the info!!
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Post by BanjoJohn »

Yeah... I think giant's in D&D are too cuddly, same for dragons, so yeah, dragons/giants in DCC are probably about more what it would be like. It totally makes sense that a village/town could be ruled over by a giant demanding tribute because they can just squash people. Gotta use some tactics and smarts when taking them on.
Panzersonor
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Panzersonor »

BanjoJohn wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:19 am Yeah... I think giant's in D&D are too cuddly, same for dragons, so yeah, dragons/giants in DCC are probably about more what it would be like. It totally makes sense that a village/town could be ruled over by a giant demanding tribute because they can just squash people. Gotta use some tactics and smarts when taking them on.
Sure does make sense! I just wanted to make sure I was understanding the rules/mechanics correctly. +15 melee is no joke!!
ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

So I wrote a giants adventure (Stronghold of the Wood Giant Shaman). It's designed for 5th level PCs. One thing that play testing showed me is that playing at that level things get very swingy. The PC's are incredibly powerful, but then again, a couple of good rolls from a giant and things quickly get ugly. It can be fun.

Return to “DCC College - New Judges Start Here”