Spellburn Ability Loss

Are you new to DCC? Are you loaded down with questions to ask before you begin play? Explore this section for answers and insights -- and ask your own questions -- about getting started with the Dungeon Crawl Classics Roleplaying Game...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Ryan Kent
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Spellburn Ability Loss

Post by Ryan Kent »

How do you guys treat the degradation of abilities due to spellburn? Does loss of Stamina cause HP to go down? Does loss of STR cause damage to go down? Does loss of AGL cause AC and chance to hit with missile weapons to go down? I would assume so, but wanted to see how other people were doing it.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Spellburn Ability Loss

Post by finarvyn »

All of the above, just as you stated them. Hit points, attack bonus, everything gets reduced as the stat drops. On some of my homebrew character sheets and GM screens I often put the attribute table there just to remind my players that current bonus is based on current stat. Sometimes it's a bother to have them keep track, but DCC is a simple enough system that it's not too much of an annoyance most of the time.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

finarvyn wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:24 pm All of the above, just as you stated them. Hit points, attack bonus, everything gets reduced as the stat drops. On some of my homebrew character sheets and GM screens I often put the attribute table there just to remind my players that current bonus is based on current stat. Sometimes it's a bother to have them keep track, but DCC is a simple enough system that it's not too much of an annoyance most of the time.
This.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

If those things are not done, then the Ability scores largely just become "Spellburn Batteries" which slowly recharge and then there's not a lot of drawback to Spellburning in the first place... It's meant to hurt and be a gamble... "Am I reducing my strength too much? But if I don't, will this creature destroy us all anyway...??!"
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “DCC College - New Judges Start Here”