mighty deed disadvantage

Are you new to DCC? Are you loaded down with questions to ask before you begin play? Explore this section for answers and insights -- and ask your own questions -- about getting started with the Dungeon Crawl Classics Roleplaying Game...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Gongfarmer
FLGS: Mayfield

mighty deed disadvantage

Post by newbie »

Is there any disadvantage to declaring a mighty deed with every attack? As I understand the rules, a warrior or dwarf may declare a mighty deed with every attack and if the deed roll is 3 or higher and the attack lands, the mighty deed takes effect. If the deed roll is less than 3 then no big deal, the attack if lands may still do weapon damage plus any STR or DEX bonuses. So what is the disadvantage for a warrior or dwarf to always declare a mighty deed with every attack? There is no penalty or disadvantage since the weapon may still do normal damage.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: mighty deed disadvantage

Post by Raven_Crowking »

newbie wrote:Is there any disadvantage to declaring a mighty deed with every attack? As I understand the rules, a warrior or dwarf may declare a mighty deed with every attack and if the deed roll is 3 or higher and the attack lands, the mighty deed takes effect. If the deed roll is less than 3 then no big deal, the attack if lands may still do weapon damage plus any STR or DEX bonuses. So what is the disadvantage for a warrior or dwarf to always declare a mighty deed with every attack? There is no penalty or disadvantage since the weapon may still do normal damage.
Nope. No disadvantage. Do those deeds every round!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Marzio Muscedere
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Location: A land of sorcery and nameless horror deep in Southern Canada

Post by Marzio Muscedere »

newbie wrote:Is there any disadvantage to declaring a mighty deed with every attack? As I understand the rules, a warrior or dwarf may declare a mighty deed with every attack and if the deed roll is 3 or higher and the attack lands, the mighty deed takes effect. If the deed roll is less than 3 then no big deal, the attack if lands may still do weapon damage plus any STR or DEX bonuses. So what is the disadvantage for a warrior or dwarf to always declare a mighty deed with every attack? There is no penalty or disadvantage since the weapon may still do normal damage.
You are correct, there is no disadvantage to declaring a Deed. That being said, I did create a disadvantage when writing https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/14 ... d-Fury-DCC called a Mighty Fumble. Simply put, when you roll a 1 on the Deed die and a 1 on your attack roll something spectacularly terrible happens.
Mat Mobile
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: L'abyss

Post by Mat Mobile »

Marzio Muscedere wrote:You are correct, there is no disadvantage to declaring a Deed. That being said, I did create a disadvantage when writing https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/14 ... d-Fury-DCC called a Mighty Fumble. Simply put, when you roll a 1 on the Deed die and a 1 on your attack roll something spectacularly terrible happens.
I like that! Even if it's as simple as rolling twice on the Fumble table I'm sure it makes things fun... for the Judge at least! :twisted:
tdsharkey
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: The Strange Realms

Post by tdsharkey »

I also feel like there should be a risk / reward to declaring a mighty deed. Mighty fumble isn't bad (and I got that Steel and Fury supplement..) and I would use it - but feel like if the deed die doesn't come up to a 3 or higher the attack should just fail. Yes, at first level that will happen two out of three times - but the odds quickly go up. And perhaps whether the mighty deed also includes a conventional attack should depend on the mighty deed being narrated. Shoving him off the balcony to fall to certain(?) death may not include a weapon attack. I'm not really proposing mechanics here, just kind of thinking out loud about things that bother me a little.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Deeds are tremendous fun. After playing this long with them freely available, it'd feel like removing fun from the game to nerf them.

It's what Warriors and Dwarves do.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

I tell players with warrior/dwarf characters that if they aren't declaring a mighty deed every round, they are missing out on what makes a warrior powerful.

Every. Round.
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

Jim Skach wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:11 am I tell players with warrior/dwarf characters that if they aren't declaring a mighty deed every round, they are missing out on what makes a warrior powerful.

Every. Round.
This!
Tabulazero II
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Xenomorph

Post by Tabulazero II »

Actually, when you call for a Mighty Deed and roll your Mighty Dice... do you get to add the result to you attack score to hit ?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Tabulazero II wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:05 am Actually, when you call for a Mighty Deed and roll your Mighty Dice... do you get to add the result to you attack score to hit ?
Yes. And damage, both whether or not the Deed succeeds.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

One of the genius moves of deed die is that it doubles as the BAB from the old d20 system AND the determination threshold of the mighty deed.

Pure. Genius.
Tabulazero II
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Xenomorph

Post by Tabulazero II »

If there are no penalty for Mighty Deeds, how do you handle a player that systematically spam a Disarm move at every attack ?
thogard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by thogard »

1) There are a great many threats that are not enemies swinging a weapon.
2) You could rule that the Disarm attacks the weapon and does not damage the wielder.
3) Why is this a problem? Maybe the repetition is boring for you, but that's what the player likes, and it shouldn't always be the optimal choice (see 1).
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Tabulazero II wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:54 am If there are no penalty for Mighty Deeds, how do you handle a player that systematically spam a Disarm move at every attack ?
Thogard speaks wisdom.

My own theoretical solution is this: sometimes spamming an action like that would mean that an intelligent foe can start to see it coming, so I'd raise the threshold number, so after a couple attempts, they now need a 4 to make it work, next time a 5, and so forth.

However, I've never had to do that. If the foes are strange and unpredictable or at least aren't merely swinging the same weapon in the same way round after round, the players have more to react to, and I've never had anyone spam a Deed in the way you're asking about.

This is firmly in the category of "it could happen" by the rules but it may never actually happen.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Skippy
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Skippy »

Monsters don't have huge HP in DCC anyway. If you want to be boring about it, the most efficient thing is probably to declare a precise strike every time to more likely down your opponent in one hit. I would love for my players to get really into disarming instead. Or into blinding, to get the Thief more backstabs.

Return to “DCC College - New Judges Start Here”