Turn Unholy

Are you new to DCC? Are you loaded down with questions to ask before you begin play? Explore this section for answers and insights -- and ask your own questions -- about getting started with the Dungeon Crawl Classics Roleplaying Game...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Ryan Kent
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Turn Unholy

Post by Ryan Kent »

I want to make sure that RAI (if that even exists in DCC) is that Chaotic clerics can't turn undead.
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Re: Turn Unholy

Post by BanjoJohn »

that's correct
Ryan Kent
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ryan Kent »

One good thing about that (IMO) is that it discourages chaotic clerics. That is a good thing (IMO) because a chaotic cleric will usually damage the team dynamic necessary for an effective PC group.
herecomethejudge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by herecomethejudge »

Not undead, no, but each alignment of cleric has its list of what is "unholy" (to it). To a chaotic cleric, "Angels, paladins, lawful dragons, Lords of Law, Lawful Primes, and Law-aligned humanoids (e.g., goblins)" are unholy, so presumably a chaotic cleric could make these categories recoil from the vileness of the chaotic deity's power through a Turn Unholy action.
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Book

Post by CapnZapp »

Ryan Kent wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:36 pm One good thing about that (IMO) is that it discourages chaotic clerics. That is a good thing (IMO) because a chaotic cleric will usually damage the team dynamic necessary for an effective PC group.
How so?

In what way or ways do your chaotic clerics "have" to act, that then damage team dynamic?

I mean, I was led to understand that "chaotic" doesn't necessarily mean "evil" in DCC. Perhaps you are making assumptions that are fine for your table, but does not necessarily mean your statement should be taken as truth in general? (Therefore I am genuinely asking what - if any - such assumptions you have)
Ryan Kent
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ryan Kent »

Sorry, I was away from the forums for a while and did not see this question. Here is the quote from the book I based my assumption on:

Chaotic characters believe fundamentally in entropy and
seek constantly to undermine or rule those around them.
They are willing to disrupt the natural order of things – including
established governments, guilds, and relationships
– if they see a material benefit in doing so. They are open to
agreements with supernatural powers, even if such agreements
risk the primacy of man by allowing strange beings
into the material plane. Fundamentally, chaotic characters
choose the path of greatest personal power and success
over any greater principle. At higher levels, chaotic characters
find themselves aligned with demons and devils, sinister
monsters, extraplanar creatures, and the supernatural
Chaos Lords. In mundane life, chaotic behavior covers a
wide spectrum of chicanery, subterfuge, aggression, and
power politics, and chaotic characters are always looking
for an advantage over their peers.
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Book

Post by CapnZapp »

If you feel player characters with a Chaotic alignment doesn't work well in your campaign, you are entirely free to discourage them.

But that does not make it a general truth. In fact, it's the reverse. DCC quite intentionally ditches the Good-Evil axis of the alignment scale in order for all three positions on the Law - Chaos axis to remain viable, and even perfectly playable.

Again, you should feel free to discourage player choices you aren't comfortable with - after all, you're the Judge, you need to feel in control of your game.

But do not make the mistake of generalizing this notion. Plenty of other Judges actively welcome PCs of all three alignments - after all, it is the default assumption of the game that all three are perfectly playable :)

Therefore, you will likely find that nobody is willing to argue with you whether "Chaotic" is playable or not. Of course it is. But. If you feel it isn't, then it isn't. In your campaign, and your campaign only. There's just nothing left to discuss after this. If you feel the rulebook text dictates the alignment as less playable, you go ahead with that interpretation, I sure won't stop you. All I do is wish you good luck with your game.

Regards

Return to “DCC College - New Judges Start Here”