GenCon, did you have fun?

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Seben-PistonRager
Wild-Eyed Zealot

GenCon, did you have fun?

Post by Seben-PistonRager »

So, did you?

Tell your tales and share pics! I haven't been able to go for a while.
I've got a bionic ear!

But, there is no mechanic to support it!
Drego Morthain
Gongfarmer

Re: GenCon, did you have fun?

Post by Drego Morthain »

This was my first GenCon. I had an absolute blast, and spent way too much money... and sadly I could have spent more.

Played some 3.5 and some 4E games. I was really surprised (though I guess I should not have been) about the very anti 4E sentiments I overheard, and coversations I was part of. I myself am not anti 4E, I actually like both 3.5 and 4E. I also noted while in the wizards game room that it was full all the time with people playing 4E, DDM, and Star Wars Saga Edition. The 4E RPGA events were all sold out, so despite the 4E sucks crowd I was surrounded with this weekend it seems like there is a very solid fan base of 4E folks as well.

I picked up a couple of Goodman Games 4E modules at the booth, and was really impressed with both of them. I did a little write up in another post, but in brief, if you are planning on running a 4E game and are at a loss for where to start off, I know either of the two mods I picked up (Forges of the Mt King, and Dragora's Dungeon) would be an excellent kick off. I am sure the other 1rst level 4E offerings they have are as good as well.

I think the best part of the weekend was that I got to play with several GM's and several different groups of players, and despite my many years of experience in RPG games (far too many than I care to admit too), I still managed to learn some things.

GenCon was a very awesome experience for me. I should have done this years ago!

Cheers!
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

This is gencon number 5 for me and I enjoyed it the least of all. The three exceptions were Goodman Games, True Dungeon, and the foam weapon and shield workshops. I really enjoyed meeting and talking to Harley Stroh. He was kind enough to sign a couple of adventures I bought and listen to me talk about playing #51.5 with my kids. After hearing how much fun we had he threw in a signed copy of that one for free. I also liked seeing my suggestion for a T-shirt design contest come full circle to a finished product. I bought mine as soon as the doors opened up on Thursday. True Dungeon was especially fun this year. I took my kids through on their first and second runs. We managed to save Greyhawk from certain doom and get a lot of cool treasure tokens as well. The foam workshops were a huge hit with my kids. Every time I left them alone for a minute I would hear them laughing and beating the crud out of each other. I still can't believe they didn't break anything in our hotel room. My low was having my son close to tears because he was told that a Heroscape event that we bought a ticket for months ago was over sold and that he was to late to play even though he had showed up 25 minutes early to the event. I went down to straighten out the situation and was told I could get a refund and we were out of luck. The jerk couldn't even find our ticket! Well I pitched a fit and finally someone with a brain showed up and straightened the mess out. I hope they chew that guys behind good. He could have explained the mix up a lot better and could have set things right without making my son cry or making me so mad. Also free swag seemed to be at an all time low. The gencon gift bag was very light as compared to years past and the mood seemed a little off with Gary passing away earlier this year as well. With my unwillingness to switch from 3.5 and my declining enjoyment of gencon I have decided to take a year off and go some were else in 09. I'm not sure why but when I got rid of the red eye my daughters face turned blue around the eyes. Anyhow this is us at the True Dungeon with my new favorite shirt on.
Attachments
gencon08 011.JPG
gencon08 011.JPG (72.87 KiB) Viewed 19557 times
Last edited by DCCfan on Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Tell your tales and share pics!
I can help you with that second one right off the bat...

The Goodman Games booth:

Amazing to encounter Harley standing still:

I apologize to Goodman Games that the soda was actually rather flat. Not half as impressive as its name:

Jeremy Simmons (aka Topographic Rex) and Joseph Goodman at the ENnies:

The Silver ENnie itself:

Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
Seben-PistonRager
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Seben-PistonRager »

Um... Jeff? I see nothing!
I've got a bionic ear!

But, there is no mechanic to support it!
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

Seben-PistonRager wrote:Um... Jeff? I see nothing!
Same here, the photos didn't work. :?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

They didn't work for me yesterday, but I could click to "open" them in a new tab and see them that way.... :?

Today, they're fine....
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Crap. I tried to link from my own Kodax/Ofoto gallery...
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

...and then today they aren't fine.... browser differential?

...and where can I get Whiterock soda? That's got to be the perfect thing to serve, should I ever get a Whiterock campaign off the ground....
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

Let me say this:

Castle Whiterock will always have a soft place in my heart. It was awesome to write, and humbling to be part of.

But that has NOTHING to do with my opinion of White Rock beverages.

And White Rock rules. I've had the cola and the cherry-whatever that Jeff brought to the ENnies, and both were supa-smooth and mucho flavorful (although in honesty my drink at the ENnies was enhanced with Maker's Mark...I thought it was the cola when I added it, but it was still kinda good).

It's really, really hard to find White Rock beverages. The only place I know to find it reliably is at a certain King Cullen grocery store on Long Island, about 100 miles away from where I live but close to some buddies of mine...when I finally finished writing CW (and re-entered society), they brought me 4 two-liters.

If you can find it, get it, and enjoy!
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....

Return to “Goodman Games General”