Question about CG to Rakshasas

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Golem2176
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Question about CG to Rakshasas

Post by Golem2176 »

I know that Rakshasa are susceptible to attacks from holy weapons. Such a weapon that scores a a hit against a rakshasa and it is pushing up daises! In the guide is ther going to be a way around this, a way to buy it off? On another note, the MM says that they are always Lawful Evil, is there going to be a variant rule on this as well?
azpcrepair.com

"I'll swallow your soul," Deadite qoute
"Only if I don't kill you with my +4 Keen Chain Saw first!" - Me
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Sorry about the slow reply -- somehow I missed this post!

I'm going to answer your question in a roundabout way. The Complete Guide to Rakshasas dives back into the Hindu mythology from which rakshasas are derived, then constructs a complete d20 framework for playing them, with everything from origins to history to society to enemies to characters, expressed as both background and rules. It's not just "here's how to fight with them"; it's "here's where they come from, here is the context that makes them so interesting, and here is how to build a comprehensive adventure or campaign around them." To that end, it expands the boundaries of rakshasas substantially, but not by simply changing rules. So, it does not change their susceptibilities or alignment -- rakshasas are still rakshasas -- but it does devote quite a bit of space to their schemes. This is important because a skilled rakshasa should never be facing a holy weapon; that's what armies of duped minions are for!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
RSKennan
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by RSKennan »

That sounds awesome.
Proud Graduate of Parallel University.
walrusjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Ah, the wily rakshasa...

Post by walrusjester »

Keep in mind that rakshasas' vulnerabilities depend on which version of the rules you're using. The 3.0 beast is immediately slain by blessed crossbow bolts but is immune to pretty much all magic, while the 3.5 critter has a more balanced set of Damage Reduction and Spell Resistance. If you want a rak that isn't immediately slain, use the one from the 3.5 d20 rules.

As for "always Lawful Evil," well, a GM can always do what they think is best. And if you want a PC rakshasa with a more flexible alignment, you can ask nicely. Very very nicely. I wouldn't let you, especially given the racial history, but someone else might. Or you can use one of the many delightful options available in this fine book, destined to be a classic.

I'm the author. Does it show?
zephyrmev
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by zephyrmev »

So what is your background?It sounds like you know alot of Hindu religon.zephyrmev.
walrusjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by walrusjester »

I don't know if anyone who wasn't raised in a Hindu culture can know a great deal about it -- Hinduism is a vast and fascinating subject. Unlike most other major religions, which have a rigid set of beliefs and therefore have trouble coexisting, Hinduism has generally absorbed and interpreted the other beliefs it comes across. I've studied the subject a bit, but I'm not an expert.

Fortunately, I was writing the CG to Rakshasas, not the CG to Hinduism. I tried to pick up enough Hindu flavor to make it feel consistent, but I also took some wild liberties. Hopefully the Hindu d20 audience won't mind.

Return to “Goodman Games General”