Goodman Games is pleased to announce a partnership with James M. Ward to bring back the very first sci-fi RPG ever published! Originally launched with a successful Kickstarter, the Metamorphosis Alpha project includes a deluxe oversized hardcover, and a host of additional sourcebooks and adventures. All products are based on the original 1976 edition of the game!
The tiny speck of the first colonization starship moved sluggishly through the cold depths of space. There was much mankind didn’t know about the stars, and one of those mysterious effects slashed into the starship Warden 300 years ago. Now the ship drifted through the darkness, lost and in trouble. While many intelligences move about its decks, none of them work to help the starship find its way.
Generations later, you are a native on the starship Warden. As a true human, mutant, or robot, you fight to survive, unaware that the radiation-saturated world around you is in fact a starship, one of mankind’s greatest achievements. Can you uncover the secrets of the starship Warden and steer it back on course, or will you simply try to live another day?
- Character sheets: Download these official character sheets as updated for the Goodman Games re-publication of the 1976 edition of Metamorphosis Alpha! Now available by character type: human, mutant, and robot.
- Fillable character sheets: fillable PDF versions of the official character sheets by character type: Humans, Mutants, and Robots.
- Jim Ward’s official Metamorphosis Alpha web site
- The official Metamorphosis Alpha forums
- The Goodman Games forums for Metamorphosis Alpha
- The Metamorphosis Alpha community on G+
- The Metamorphosis Alpha on the OD&D boards
GaryCon seminar video: Goodman Games announced this project at GaryCon 2014 in Lake Geneva, WI, where we held a seminar on What’s New With Goodman Games. Watch the seminar now to see the official announcement of Metamorphosis Alpha! (at the 37:50 mark)
Metamorphosis Alpha Game Books
- Drink, Spin, Run: This entertaining podcast talks about our new Metamorphosis Alpha release!
- GeekDad: “I’m so happy to see MA reprinted, and I’m hoping Goodman Games is looking at other early RPGs and considering giving them the same treatment. For now, I’m going to be on the lookout for an opportunity to referee a game of MA… or two. Hopefully more. This game will always have a permanent place in my heart — this is where RPGs began for me. A huge thank you to Jim Ward and Gary Gygax and TSR for creating it… and an equal amount of praise and gratitude to Goodman Games for recognizing this great piece of gaming history, giving it the attention it deserves, and hopefully kickstarting a new wave of Metamorphosis Alpha gaming (and gamers).”
- Semper Initiativus Unum: “Metamorphosis Alpha is going through the best period of support in its lifetime, thanks to Goodman Games and WardCo. It’s very different from the D&D experience, but it is really worth giving a try in play. MA is really good for gamers who’ve played a lot of D&D and want the excitement of fresh discovery, really specializing in that aspect of play, and because of how it’s structured it doesn’t require a commitment of months or years to a campaign.”