More Adventures...? A query.

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

reverenddak

More Adventures...? A query.

Post by reverenddak »

tl;dr

Would you be interested in regularly released adventure compilation?
Would you be interested in one-page dungeons in every issue of Crawl? With the possibility of a compilation down the line?
Both?

End tl;dr

I realize there are two camps, those that DIY and make their own adventures/settings/campaigns and those (like myself) that rely on 3rd Parties to create them for you. So this is mostly for those, like me, that are always looking for more adventures to use, steal from, and hack into their campaigns.

Crawl! #4 was one of my more popular issues, and I think it's because it was an adventure module. I specifically designed it to be modular, so you can steal the forest, the town, the dragon or the dungeon, and I think it was successful on that part, but it was also a complete adventure on it's own. So that's why I picked it as a whole issue of Crawl. I dont' think I can't do that every time, but if something comes my way that fits that model, I would surely do that.

And still, one of the number one requests I get is More Adventures. Almost every 3rd Party DCC product out there, so far, has been either an adventure or campaign setting. So there is obviously still demand. On a Transylvanian Adventures thread was brought up a "Dungeon Magazine" like product. I was wondering if there is a demand for such a thing? I proposed that I'd help publish something like it, if I could get a good producer to manage the project. If I could, I can see it happening. But it reminded me of an idea I already had, or planned on doing with Crawl, and that's adding a short adventure to every issue. Due to the format of my zine, it would be more like a 1 or 2 page adventure at most. Then that reminded me of the One-Page Dungeon. If I were to get one-page dungeon submissions, I could crank them out a lot quicker because art & maps are already included as part of a 1-page-dungeon submission. The only difference is, it'd have to be DCC RPG compatible, and my format would be landscape instead of portrait (and some other details designers would have to be aware of.) And heck, if it was in this format I might be able to be the producer/project manager myself.

What do you think?
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Colin

Re: More Adventures...? A query.

Post by Colin »

Between the official modules (15 adventures and rising), the Appendix N modules (4 and rising), the Purple Duck adventures (5 and rising), the Purple Sorcerer adventures (3 and rising), and assorted other 3PP adventures (3 and rising), DCC already has 30 adventures with more on the way. I wonder if some of the folks requesting more adventures possibly don't know there are quite so many adventures out there for DCC already? I'd personally rather see issues of elements suitable for dropping into adventures, including unusual magical items, strange beasts, interesting NPCs and locales, etc. as well as lists of adventure seeds for inspiration.

Colin
Galadrin
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Galadrin »

Extra adventures can never hurt, particularly if they are creative enough to inspire a whole campaign, but I kinda see what Colin is saying about adventure overload. What I am really looking forward to is the DCC Annual, so anything like that (extra options, alternate takes on things) would be interesting.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I'm going to chime in here, after having chimed in on the blog, too...

If there were adventures in the "1 Page Dungeon" format, they would be more like adventure seeds or brief "Encounters" (to coin a phrase) that you could drop into campaign play as needed. Long enough to be suggestive of larger implications and consequences, but with enough info that you could run them straight up as written.

Maybe not in every issue, but maybe at least half or so.

/2¢
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

I like two page adventures better. One page for map and maybe some description, the other page for the keys. Much more place to play with.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

As Crawl! subscriber, I like the adventures also, but I like the other articles just as much. Two pagers would be welcome ( one for map and another for descriptions) but with such a short adventure it would be tougher to have "unique monsters" as there is not much space.

OR you could serialize larger adventures, though it would be harder to run them needing multiple issues of Crawl!.
sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by sheriffharry »

2-4 pages adventures seeds/encounters would be cool, from time to time.
And a fully fleshed out adventure, maybe once a year ?, would make me happy.

also,
Looking at old Dragon magazines, some kind of "Sage Advice" or "Leomund's Tiny Hut" column would also be nice.
(Of course that would imply someone close to DCCRPG from Goodman to collaborate...)
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Thanks guys, all this info helps a lot. It basically tells me there is a demand for more adventures, though "1-page" adventures aren't as desired as I thought, there is some interest. It's honestly the only format that I can fit into a regular issue of Crawl! My plan is to release an issue at least once a year that is a complete adventure, like #4. In fact Raven Crowking is working on my next one. But I think I can squeeze in smaller adventures, especially 1-page-ish adventures more frequently, if I were to get them. So think about it, and contact me and submit them, I want them. And if I get enough I might be able to release them in a compilation, or save them if they fit a certain theme.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

reverenddak wrote:Thanks guys, all this info helps a lot. It basically tells me there is a demand for more adventures, though "1-page" adventures aren't as desired as I thought, there is some interest.
Well, we all want the content that we can use the most. Whatever content you pick, I know it's going to be of interest to me! Part of the one-page dungeon format relies on shorthand terms (orc, +1 sword) that DCC intentionally avoids. Still, as others have said, you cannot have too many adventures.
In fact Raven Crowking is working on my next one.
I will be sending you the rough maps this week. Text is about 1/3 of the way done. Like all of my work, it is a light-hearted romp in which the PCs are showered by candy and gumdrops, and nothing bad or remotely disturbing ever happens.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

Appendix N is full of short stories, side-treks, and detours. Modules you can easily plop into your campaign and run over the course of 1-2 Four hour session(s) is what would fit the bill for me.

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”