Scions of Punjar Play Summary w/terrain pix

For discussion of DCC modules published for D&D 4E.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

oldschooldm
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: That's it!

Post by oldschooldm »

GnomeBoy wrote:
oldschooldm wrote:"What do you think, sirs?"
Very good try, boobie, but Frank and I have a little something cooked up over here for you that I think you're really going to-- Frank. ...Frank... Frank! Excuse me a minute...

/Dr. Forrester mode
LOL! That was awesome.
GnomeBoy wrote: Um, It looks like a helluva game, as run. But I'm not sure what to say exactly. Sure, I'd love to sit at your table and play with all those wonderful toys -- but will you be happy with pure and extreme admiration?
Thanks! That sounds wonderful to me.

Perhaps by listing all the source kits I discouraged discussion (taking away the "Where did you get those xxx?" questions) so please forgive begging the feedback.

I'm always trying to figure out what is the best place to post these logs - given no other guidance, I figured that the publisher's site would probably be a good choice. But stunned(?) silence was a bit of a surprise. :-)

Anyone else have some thoughts or questions? I'm always interested in ideas for other things to do/use for stuff like this.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

oldschooldm wrote:...But stunned(?) silence was a bit of a surprise...
Well, I think part of what you're up against here is that most visitors are here for the DCC RPG, and since you're posting about a 4th Edition module, the interest is lower for multiple reasons, which could mean very few visitors are even clicking in this section of the boards.

The other thing that crosses my mind is maybe the pictures are too big, and page loading time is an issue, especially as more and more posts are added. Sure, some folks have ginormous screens and can see it all clearly, but some of us (me! me!) have to scroll back and forth to see all of the image.

/2¢
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
oldschooldm
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by oldschooldm »

Feedback! Awesome! (Seriously - thanks!)
GnomeBoy wrote:Well, I think part of what you're up against here is that most visitors are here for the DCC RPG, and since you're posting about a 4th Edition module, the interest is lower for multiple reasons, which could mean very few visitors are even clicking in this section of the boards.
Yeah. That make sense. If true, it's too bad that material is considered to be so system-specific by people. I raid other systems (esp. d20 stuff) all the time...

Other than DCs and monster stats (that are mostly stock monsters that exist in other systems as well), there isn't really much in the Scions of Punjar that is "4e" dependent. The plot, locations, NPCs, etc. all work "as is" with many D&D-similar systems. This forum is the place I'd expect a port of this module to DCC to appear anyway. :-)
GnomeBoy wrote:The other thing that crosses my mind is maybe the pictures are too big, and page loading time is an issue, especially as more and more posts are added. Sure, some folks have ginormous screens and can see it all clearly, but some of us (me! me!) have to scroll back and forth to see all of the image.
This is great feedback - publishing as a long thread may be the wrong approach (I'm not sure I can do a lot about the picture sizes, as there is a lot of extra processing it would take to make that happen.)

Any ideas how to deal with these issues without making an hour+/post setup time even longer? Or - is there a better place to post? I've been thinking of setting up a blog at OldSchoolDM.com and posting my adventure logs there instead, where I'd have a bit more control of various things (like managing all the links to the kit providers...)?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Scions of Punjar Play Summary w/terrain pix

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The comment about DCC RPG is spot on. I, myself, come to the forum largely for DCC.

The comment about raiding other systems is also spot on. I, myself, will raid wildly disparate systems. I have run, for example, a Gamma World module as a 0-lvl funnel (and am now doing so online at Unseen Servant).

In my case, lack of comment is simply lack of anything worthwhile to say. You have obviously put a lot of effort into your presentation. "Wow!" is about the only thing I have to say.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
oldschooldm
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by oldschooldm »

Raven_Crowking wrote:In my case, lack of comment is simply lack of anything worthwhile to say. You have obviously put a lot of effort into your presentation. "Wow!" is about the only thing I have to say.
From my players and I: Thank you!
ctaylor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by ctaylor »

That was freakin' awesome.

Okay, using my adult voice now. That summary and those pictures brought out the kid in me. Seriously well done. That's quite possibly the best use of papercraft terrain, buildings and miniatures I've ever seen. Very epic.

I do like the changes you made to the story, too. Especially putting way more epic into the ending.

Congrats! I'm sure my jealousy will wear off in a few months or so.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

oldschooldm wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:In my case, lack of comment is simply lack of anything worthwhile to say. You have obviously put a lot of effort into your presentation. "Wow!" is about the only thing I have to say.
From my players and I: Thank you!
Why is it that so many people thank me when I don't say anything? Is there a message here?

:lol:

:oops:
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
oldschooldm
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by oldschooldm »

ctaylor wrote:That was freakin' awesome.

Okay, using my adult voice now. That summary and those pictures brought out the kid in me. Seriously well done. That's quite possibly the best use of papercraft terrain, buildings and miniatures I've ever seen. Very epic.

I do like the changes you made to the story, too. Especially putting way more epic into the ending.

Congrats! I'm sure my jealousy will wear off in a few months or so.
Thanks ctaylor.

You don't have to be jealous, you know - all you need is a printer, some paper, glue, and a sharp cutting-implement and you can make some scenery too! I started with three simple free kits:
ImageImageImage

And I built my first encounter from the Reavers of Harkenwold (the D&D DMs kit adventure):

But then again - I got hooked...
oldschooldm
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Building an HQ...

Post by oldschooldm »

As a follow on, today my group built an HQ out of one of the Dev'shir's old warehouses... See more pix at http://www.worldworksgames.com/forum/vi ... =5&t=12121

The players actually built it out to my 9x9x3 empty building skeleton...
Last edited by oldschooldm on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldschooldm
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by oldschooldm »

The Forsite Irregulars have a new home on Obsidian Portal - you can follow their continuing adventures there!

Here's some snaps from their latest adventure - The Orcs of Stonefang Pass...

Return to “DCC Modules - 4E”