DCC Pantheon

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Jason,

There isn't at this time a god of wealth, exactly, but there's plenty who could fill the void. Consider:
  • Poderon, as you already have thought of, since he is a god of commerce. But he's more about business and mutual benefit than about the greedy side of things. Not really a god for misers. But if you're cleric PC is good or goodly-leaning neutral, he'd fit the bill nicely.
    Myna, goddess of good/ill fortune, and her fickle nature. Plenty of wealth-minded folks would revere her. But she's capricious, so you can't count on hoarding your wealth forever.
    Zhühn always fills the void when a god of something is needed. He'd fabricate a new deity, name, symbol, and all, and inconspicuously grant the spells, and gradually steer the PCs toward his own ends. Personally, the only thing he could probably never grant is access to the Good domain.
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by jason.richardson »

Jeff LaSala wrote:Jason,

There isn't at this time a god of wealth, exactly, but there's plenty who could fill the void. Consider:
  • Poderon, as you already have thought of, since he is a god of commerce. But he's more about business and mutual benefit than about the greedy side of things. Not really a god for misers. But if you're cleric PC is good or goodly-leaning neutral, he'd fit the bill nicely.
    Myna, goddess of good/ill fortune, and her fickle nature. Plenty of wealth-minded folks would revere her. But she's capricious, so you can't count on hoarding your wealth forever.
    Zhühn always fills the void when a god of something is needed. He'd fabricate a new deity, name, symbol, and all, and inconspicuously grant the spells, and gradually steer the PCs toward his own ends. Personally, the only thing he could probably never grant is access to the Good domain.
Jeff, thanks! The Zhühn idea is fantastic. I can really do a lot with that.

Since I use AD&D First Edition domains aren't a problem.

I just hope my player isn't reading this forum...

-jason
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

I recently added the SPELL COMPENDIUM to my list of D&D books - which I earnestly want to keep at a minimum! But all those additional cleric domains were, for the most part, really cool.
When I checked the Gods of Áereth, I also noted that you included one Domain not listed in the core books or the Complete Guide to Drow: REPOSE. This one seems to come from the Player's Guide to Faerun (Forgotten Realms). It is possible to look into it, though - even if you don't have that book. Just click here: D&D Glossary: REPOSE domain.

Unfortunately this is not the case with the domains from CGtD. Could you list them here? Or are they identical to the domains of the same name in the Spell Compendium?

If you don't mind I would like to post some alternate cleric domains for some of the Gods of Áereth in the next days.
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

The Repose domain is actually included in the SRD:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/domain ... poseDomain
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

Jeff LaSala wrote:The Repose domain is actually included in the SRD:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/domain ... poseDomain
Oops, sorry. Didn't know that! On the other hand that's probably why it pops up in the D&D glossary on the WotC-Homepage... :oops:

And I overlooked that there are some more domains included in the World of Áereth GM's Guide that are not listed in the core rules Player's Handbook: Creation, Dream, Liberation and Glory. Are they all SRD/OGL material?
Last edited by Argamae on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Done so far:
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

Since my gaming group is currently travelling through the Theocracy of the Lance, I reviewed the foremost gods of that realm and changed their cleric domains* a little towards what I feel better represents them.

ARISTEMIS - The Insightful One (Strategy/Diplomacy)
Her original domains were Good, Knowledge and War. I would change War to Planning (since it is more the strategic aspect of war which interests her) or Community (which is really fitting with respect to her diplomatic aspect). As she is a demi goddess I would think that 3 cleric domains are sufficient.

GORHAN - The Helmed Vengeance (Valor/War/Chivalry)
This god's original domains were Good, Healing, Strength and War. Since nothing in the god's rather martial description really mentions "healing qualities", I would change Healing to Retribution (really fitting for a god of vengeance). Or just add the Retribution domain, if you want to keep Healing. The domain of Nobility might be another consideration.

JUSTICIA - The Helmless Vigil (Justice/Mercy/Defense)
Her domains are Good, Healing, Law and Protection. Since in her description it is stated that she can be a force of "purifying fire" I would think that the domain of Purification should be added - for clerics who favor that aspect of her.

THORMYR - The Loyal (Honor/Duty/Protection)
His original domains are Healing, Law, Protection and Strength. More than fitting would be the domain of Courage. I would definitely add this one to the choice of cleric domains (and maybe drop Healing).

Well, just my 2 cents' worth. :)

(*The additional domains are from the SPELL COMPENDIUM.)
Done so far:
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Argamae, where are these domains (such as Courage, Purification, Planning) coming from?

When I was working on organizing these gods (and making new ones), I drew from either their original DCC sources or simply worked with the SRD. We didn't want to go creating too many new domains (although there are a couple) because the aim of the boxed set was to jibe with existing D&D 3.5 material. Áereth aims to be both generic and unique.

But it sounds like these customizations will work well for you.
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

They are from the official WotC supplement SPELL COMPENDIUM. But since this again is just a compendium/collection I can't tell where those domains originally came from.
Yes, I hope they work well. Some are really appropiate, as I pointed out.
Done so far:
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Ah yes, I have that book. A good one. But all the new domains in there are not open gaming license.

I was amused to see it (or another WotC book) also came up with a Dream domain. I like Áereth's better. :wink:
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

Sheesh... the whole concept of The Dream is really cool. You could have adventures in really fantastic "worlds" without ever leaving Áereth... :)

By the way: I just noticed that some of the new domains are covered in the Áereth GM's Manual... darn, I must have totally overlooked them! Embarrasing! Shame on me... :oops:

And yes, I agree: the Áereth Dream domain is more appropiate, although two new spells from the Compendium (Dream Casting and Dream Sight) are very nice. Might include them in the Áereth domain. ;)
Done so far:
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Yep...I really love the Dream stuff. What's in #35 is really just a small piece of a potentially larger pie. In the very least, you can expect some representation of the Dream in a future DCC product.

There are also at least two new spells in the GM's Gd specifically for the Dream domain.
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

What's in #35 is really just a small piece of a potentially larger pie. In the very least, you can expect some representation of the Dream in a future DCC product.
Yeah, everything about The Dream you could read in the GM's Guide just screamed for MORE, MORE, MORE! It'd be very, very cool to have a "dream" adventure DCC and further details on the Realm of Óae! :D
Done so far:
Eryx
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: DCC Pantheon

Post by Eryx »

papaholdy wrote:And or What Gods do you all use in you Goodman World campaigns? ;-)
I use the standard D&D gods with a few extra homebrewed ones and a couple skanked from other settings (FR and Scarred Lands mainly).
---

Staunch anti-4E. Nuff said.

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”