Fear & Loathing in DCC

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Flexi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Fear & Loathing in DCC

Post by Flexi »

I am interested as to how other people handle the corruption that affects wizards in their DCC game. In your campaign worlds, are the mutations suffered by the users, viewed as signs of evil by the general populace and the victims seen as abominations to be destroyed?
Or are corruption effects seen as something that happens on a regular basis, and maybe just makes people uneasy?
How do your wizards handle the effects? Do they do their best to conceal them, or do they flaunt their new look?
ZenDog
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: Fear & Loathing in DCC

Post by ZenDog »

I definitely plan to have them viewed as signs of chaos and a reason for ignorant peasants to be hostile in my games.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

I still don't have a wizard in my tabletop group, but the elves haven't rolled a 1 on a spell check yet that I can recall, or if they did, it was on a very minor spell and they ended up with nothing interesting in terms of corruption.

Kind of a bummer actually.
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

Hah, my wizard has been corrupted once and now walks with a limp due to one leg being shorter than the other. Townsfolk react to it how they react to anything "different" :)
Clangador
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Clangador »

Skars wrote:Hah, my wizard has been corrupted once and now walks with a limp due to one leg being shorter than the other. Townsfolk react to it how they react to anything "different" :)
He should have a special pair of shoes made.
~Clangador

I'm not a wizard but I play one in DCC...

Join the DCC RPG Rocks Facebook group.
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

Clangador wrote:
Skars wrote:Hah, my wizard has been corrupted once and now walks with a limp due to one leg being shorter than the other. Townsfolk react to it how they react to anything "different" :)
He should have a special pair of shoes made.
Or go shoeless in one foot :)
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

beermotor wrote:I still don't have a wizard in my tabletop group, but the elves haven't rolled a 1 on a spell check yet that I can recall, or if they did, it was on a very minor spell and they ended up with nothing interesting in terms of corruption.

Kind of a bummer actually.
I'm in the same boat. The only corruption my home team has suffered was in a sword-and-planet setting where everything was already mutated! Anyway. We seem to be stuck in either a playtesting scenario or introducing the game to new folks and running through the funnel constantly...

The way I _plan_ to handle it is not just have poor reactions from peasants, etc, but as the party grows in power, they'll be seen as threats by the powers-that-be. The twisted wizard will be used as the pariah!
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
oncelor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by oncelor »

One of the players in my group has been running a wizard since last June, has recently reached 4th level, and has yet to roll any corruption. He's not shy about casting spells -- he's always slinging Color Spray and Magic Missile. I've been tempted to homerule more frequent corruption results. Has any other judge had a notable lack of corruption in his campaign?
oncelor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by oncelor »

One of the players in my group has been running a wizard since last June, has recently reached 4th level, and has yet to roll any corruption. He's not shy about casting spells -- he's always slinging Color Spray and Magic Missile. I've been tempted to homerule more frequent corruption results. Has any other judge had a notable lack of corruption in his campaign?
He finally rolled *two* corruption results last session! Now he has purple hair and blue hands.

Return to “DCC RPG General”