In between DCC games with ideas for the next one.

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, michaelcurtis, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

In between DCC games with ideas for the next one.

Post by Gameogre »

So I'm working on next time we move over to DCC. I'm thinking of doing the following.

No Thieves. Use the option from Crawl 1 and everyone can try thief skills.

No Clerics- Some of the clerics spells move to Wizard ones.

Hit Dice Pools from crawl 1- Everyone has extra pools of hit points they can use to heal up after a fight(to a certain limit).

I think this gives a much more swords and sorcery feel to the game and at the same time releases the cleric player to choose something more fun(he has complained loudly that he is tired of being a cleric and no one else wants that role.

What do you guys think? Anyone else done this?
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: In between DCC games with ideas for the next one.

Post by beermotor »

Clerics can be super fun, and crazy powerful. That said, I have been eyeing that no thieves rule for a while now. Looks like fun.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Nice idea you have there. I'll be interested to see what develops in the campaign.

1) Some have argued from early in playtest that the cleric doesn't have much history in Appendix N (It does have a long history in RPGs, however) and thus the elimination of the class in some ways makes the game more like the books.

2) Early OD&D ('74 boxed set, prior to Supplement I Greyhawk) had no thieves, so there are many campaigns played without them. Your "everyone can try thief skills" solution is essentially what those folks do and it works just fine for them in OD&D, so I see no reason why it shouldn't work in DCC.

Essentially, your suggestion boils down to a "fighters and wizards" model, which should work pretty well.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
ecz
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ecz »

Gameogre wrote:So I'm working on next time we move over to DCC. I'm thinking of doing the following.

No Thieves. Use the option from Crawl 1 and everyone can try thief skills.

No Clerics- Some of the clerics spells move to Wizard ones.

Hit Dice Pools from crawl 1- Everyone has extra pools of hit points they can use to heal up after a fight(to a certain limit).

I think this gives a much more swords and sorcery feel to the game and at the same time releases the cleric player to choose something more fun(he has complained loudly that he is tired of being a cleric and no one else wants that role.

What do you guys think? Anyone else done this?
I'm also working to a DCC game revised with several changes in the core structure. Probably when my version will have a first decent form I'll post something to ask for comments and suggestions.
If I'm spending my time before my players have seen the rules to change/adjust something is only because the manual leaves (intentionally) a lot of room to the judge to make his own corrections according the tastes of his audience.

I need to be clear: the system is GREAT and I love it. It only needs a little of work to make it suitable for my players...
VASLeague Tournament Director
VASLeague@gmail.com
www.vasleague.org

Return to “DCC RPG General”