Am I missing something?

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

bryguy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Am I missing something?

Post by bryguy »

Magic Armor?
Not as in just simple plusses, but I still cant find anything about enchanted armor.
Ive been scouring the book, seriously have over 50 colored flags sticking out of the LE with chapters and sub sections written all over them. I like the idea of magic armor being "different", so I'm going to make a few things up.. I know that may be the idea, and with 30 years of gaming and DMing I dont need a chapter devoted to it, but I'm still thinking I'm missing that little two paragraph section somewhere..
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Am I missing something?

Post by tovokas »

I think you're on to the right path: it's so much cooler to create magic armor that is unique, fascinating, and fits your campaign. Perhaps the armor just helps against criticals, or reduces fumble die rolls. Or it can absorb any one hit a day with no damage but triggers a minor corruption that lasts for 1d4 days, or wounds one of your friends by the damage reduced... I just love this whole mindset that DCC encourages.

When I get to publishing non-funnel adventures there will definitely be unique magic items in each adventure, and I know others are doing so as well. :)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
bryguy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by bryguy »

Nice!
I was thinking along ones that gave bonuses to fire, cold, acid, float down from heights, swim without sinking in plate... Etc.. (all in very elaborate thought out versions of course..)
As I said before.. I hate simple plusses. Ive always loved the idea of backstory on items even 30 yrs ago on magic items.
I had this old suit in the game in the 80s called the Armor of Kwar Berrex.. Bad stuff, but good at the same time :)
nerdwerds
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by nerdwerds »

tovokas wrote:I think you're on to the right path: it's so much cooler to create magic armor that is unique, fascinating, and fits your campaign.
I agree.
I've only put one suit of armor into my world, it "blinks" the wearer out of existence for a round when an opponent gets a critical hit against them.
"The Shamrock Shake is a frosty, minty symbol of all that we hold dear. It is shameful that we as a people cannot enjoy this proud, symbolic beverage any more than one week a year. Unless the British government loosens its iron grip on this most Irish of shakes, the streets will once again run red with English blood." - Gerry Adams, leader of Sinn Fein, the IRA's political wing.

Return to “Magic and Spells”