New Spells

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

nerdwerds
Wild-Eyed Zealot

New Spells

Post by nerdwerds »

I started designing new spells for a custom patron that I created, but I'm curious what other people think of the spell.

Level 1: Iron Fist
Range: Self, Duration: Varies, Casting time: 1 round, Save: None
General = Gaz and the Drake understand that their followers are not, strictly speaking, fighters and so they impart this spell early to give devoted wizards an opportunity to utilize the arcane arts to exercise some martial skill. The caster must spellburn at least 1 point when casting this spell.
Manifestation = Roll 1d4: (1) the caster's hands take on the look and all of the properties of wood; (2) the caster's hands glow with a golden light, making him an easily discernible target in the dark; (3) the caster's hands become like stone, hard and impervious to most damage but still able to manipulate objects and cast other spells; (4) the caster's hands take on the look and feel of iron but may still be manipulated like normal digits.
1 = Lost, failure, and patron taint.
2-11 = Lost and failure.
12-13 = The wizard's hands become magical weapons! For a number of rounds equal to (1d3 + caster level) unarmed attacks still inflict 1d3 + Strength damage, but the damage may be lethal instead of subdual.
14-17 = The wizard's hands become magical weapons! For a number of rounds equal to (1d4 + caster level) unarmed attacks are at +1 to hit and inflict 1d4 + Strength damage, and the damage may be lethal instead of subdual.
18-19 = The wizard's hands become magical weapons! For a number of rounds equal to (1d4 + caster level) unarmed attacks are at +2 to hit and inflict 1d6+1 + Strength damage, and the damage may be lethal instead of subdual.
20-23 = The wizard's hands become magical weapons! For a number of rounds equal to (1d6 + caster level) unarmed attacks are at +3 to hit and inflict 2d4+1 + Strength damage, and the damage may be lethal instead of subdual.
24-27 = The wizard's hands become magical weapons! For a number of turns equal to caster level unarmed attacks are at +4 to hit and inflict 3d4+2 + Strength damage, and the damage may be lethal instead of subdual.
28-29 = The wizard's hands become magical weapons! For a number of turns equal to caster level unarmed attacks are at +5 to hit and inflict 3d6+3 + Strength damage, and the damage may be lethal instead of subdual.
30-31 = The wizard's hands become magical weapons! For a number of hours equal to caster level unarmed attacks are at +7 to hit and inflict 3d8+5 + Strength damage, and the damage may be lethal instead of subdual.
32+ = The wizard's body glows with a golden hue and a low hum originates from the air around him! Until the next sunrise unarmed attacks the caster makes are at +9 to hit and inflict 3d8+5 + Strength damage, and the damage may be lethal instead of subdual. Whenever a creature is struck by the caster it must make a DC 20 Fortitude save or flee in terror and pain.

Thoughts and criticism welcome!

I'm curious to see other people try to tackle the magic system as well, so please share your own spell creations here.
Last edited by nerdwerds on Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
"The Shamrock Shake is a frosty, minty symbol of all that we hold dear. It is shameful that we as a people cannot enjoy this proud, symbolic beverage any more than one week a year. Unless the British government loosens its iron grip on this most Irish of shakes, the streets will once again run red with English blood." - Gerry Adams, leader of Sinn Fein, the IRA's political wing.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: New Spells

Post by beermotor »

I really like this. Can you share the other patron spells for this patron?

IMC, elves are asian, descendents of humans. So I'm designing patrons that reflect Taoist and Confucian philosophers, which means, elves end up looking a lot like old-school AD&D monks, to me. And that's actually how I've ended up structuring the invoke patron for my elf player... essentially it's a magical effect that gives some bonus to AC, saves, reflects attacks (a la martial arts), grants some philosophical insight, etc. Haven't done any patron spells, but this "iron fist" would be perfect, although I'll probably rename it "Jeet Kune Do" or something, and fiddle with some of the results.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Also, I think the duration sucks... caster level only? I'd at least make it d4+CL rounds, maybe d6. Otherwise, it's not very useful, because you have to spend an action casting it, then you get one action doing it, maybe two, and then you have to cast it again. Of course, there's a lot more opportunities for corruption with more rolls to cast... :-)
nerdwerds
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by nerdwerds »

beermotor wrote:Also, I think the duration sucks... caster level only? I'd at least make it d4+CL rounds, maybe d6. Otherwise, it's not very useful, because you have to spend an action casting it, then you get one action doing it, maybe two, and then you have to cast it again. Of course, there's a lot more opportunities for corruption with more rolls to cast... :-)
It does increase with higher rolls, but perhaps you're right. A 1st or 2nd level Wizard is going to have a bitch of a time using it effectively.

Also, I fixed the link.
"The Shamrock Shake is a frosty, minty symbol of all that we hold dear. It is shameful that we as a people cannot enjoy this proud, symbolic beverage any more than one week a year. Unless the British government loosens its iron grip on this most Irish of shakes, the streets will once again run red with English blood." - Gerry Adams, leader of Sinn Fein, the IRA's political wing.
ScrivenerB
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ScrivenerB »

I like it. I had been considering adding something along these lines (in terms of its general effects) but haven't gotten around to writing anything up. I definitely like the idea of a 'cast it and it gives you something to do for several rounds' sort of spell. While the damage seems okay the to-hit gets quite large. I'm not sure whether that will be a problem or not. Oh, probably not. It will never be trivial to get those levels of effects.

One thing: in the book it seems to me that "manifestation" is usually (always?) entirely cosmetic. But here's it matters quite a bit. You can do whatever you want, but unless it's a huge deal to you perhaps consider moving those down into the various levels of effects. (see Spider Climb)
nerdwerds
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by nerdwerds »

ScrivenerB wrote:I like it. I had been considering adding something along these lines (in terms of its general effects) but haven't gotten around to writing anything up. I definitely like the idea of a 'cast it and it gives you something to do for several rounds' sort of spell. While the damage seems okay the to-hit gets quite large. I'm not sure whether that will be a problem or not. Oh, probably not. It will never be trivial to get those levels of effects.
I was using Chill Touch and Flaming Hands, other 1st level spells, as a sort of guide for figuring out the to hit/damage ratios. The final level is kind of powerful, but then all of the spells have a pretty powerful 32+ effect.
ScrivenerB wrote:One thing: in the book it seems to me that "manifestation" is usually (always?) entirely cosmetic. But here's it matters quite a bit. You can do whatever you want, but unless it's a huge deal to you perhaps consider moving those down into the various levels of effects. (see Spider Climb)
You're right. I hadn't noticed that before, but then I've really only read the 1st and 2nd level spells, and the Patron spells. I'll change that right now.
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

This is awesome.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

It would be funny if one of the display options would be that the caster's hands get sparkly.
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

cthulhudarren wrote:It would be funny if one of the display options would be that the caster's hands get sparkly.
You're thinking of the "Turn Into Vampire Spell", I think.

Twilight is Appendix N, right?
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
nerdwerds
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by nerdwerds »

Vanguard wrote:This is awesome.
Thanks!

Okay, here's what I have for the next one. This is another patron spell, so keep in mind it wouldn't count against a wizard's limit of known spells.

Level 2: Poisonous Gaze
Range: 150', Duration: Instantaneous, Casting time: 1 action, Save: Will vs. spell check
General = This spell gives the wizard a gaze attack that can be used to lock eyes with a living creature and poison their blood. The spell will have no effect on golems, elementals, oozes, or other such creatures that do not have eyes or blood per se.
Manifestation = Roll 1d8: (1) the caster's eyes glow green and a smoky green-tinted mist pours out from their eyelids; (2) a beam of soft white light pulses between the caster's eyes and the target of the spell; (3) a crackling sound emanates from behind the caster; (4) the sclera in the wizard's eyes turn black for the next hour; (5) the wizard emits a foul smell, similar to bleach or vinegar; (6) the wizard's eyes become ringed with pustules and sores, these heal after a good night's rest; (7) the wizard's eyes and mouth become ringed with a glittery substance that disappears at the next sunrise; (8) the caster's face becomes dry and wrinkled for the next turn.
2-11 = Lost and failure.
12-13 = Failure, but spell is not lost.
14-15 = The caster locks eyes with a target within range, which must make a Will save or suffer 1d8 + caster level HP damage.
16-19 = The caster locks eyes with a target within range, which must make a Will save or temporarily lose 1d3 Stamina; recovered at one point per day.
20-21 = The caster locks eyes with a target within range, which must make a Will save or temporarily lose 1d4 Stamina (or Dexterity, caster's choice); recovered at one point per day.
22-25 = The caster locks eyes with a target within range, which must make a Will save or temporarily lose 1d5 Stamina (or Dexterity or Intelligence, caster's choice); recovered at one point per day.
26-29 = The caster locks eyes with a target within range, which must make a Will save or temporarily lose 1d6 Stamina (or Dexterity, Intelligence or Strength, caster's choice); recovered at one point per day.
30-31 = The caster locks eyes with a target within range, which must make a Will save or be struck blind for 2d4 rounds.
32-33 = The caster locks eyes with a target within range, which must make a Will save or be paralyzed for 2d6 rounds.
34+ = The caster locks eyes with a target within range, which must make a Will save or be paralyzed for 2d6 rounds and lose 1d6 Agility, Stamina and Intelligence; recovered at one point per day.
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

Vanguard wrote:
cthulhudarren wrote:It would be funny if one of the display options would be that the caster's hands get sparkly.
You're thinking of the "Turn Into Vampire Spell", I think.

Twilight is Appendix N, right?
Nah, it would be more of a humiliating stick poke!
bogenblitz
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by bogenblitz »

Good stuff!

Perhaps for Poisonous Gaze at 30+ the caster needs only to have once seen the victim of the attack and has the option to concentrate his "gaze" on a distant enemy with some chance of failure for this more advanced technique, otherwise the spell also works as you have prescribed in-person.
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

I'm enjoying reading your spells, nerdwerds!
nerdwerds wrote: I'm curious to see other people try to tackle the magic system as well, so please share your own spell creations here.
I missed this last line in your post when I originally read it. Here is something I posted earlier, a Clerical Temporary Creation Spell. It's a bit utilitarian, but it fills a gap for me.
Terry Olson
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Here's how I tweaked this stuff for my game/patron, plus the different 2nd level spell. 3rd level spell is going to be something along the lines of summon elemental / control water, but haven't worked it out just yet.

Wang Liping
An ancient elven sorcerer and philosopher, Wang Liping lived millenia ago and, some say, ascended to demi-godhood. Stridently neutral, Wang Liping requires any elf or wizard choosing him as a patron to maintain a neutral alignment; failure results in dire consequences, most likely abandonment at the worst possible time for the character. He is a hard master to please, but the diligent and the dedicated will find him to be generous with his aid. His magical powers center around martial arts and hand-to-hand combat, traditionally the sphere of the ancient mystics.

Wang Liping teaches that “wu ji is the limitless, the infinite. Know whiteness, maintain blackness, and be a model of motionless action for all under Heaven. By so doing, eternal integrity will not err. If eternal integrity does not err, you will return to infinity. Returning to infinity is the only escape from the prison of existence.” But he also cautions his followers, saying “the powers are dangerous, and care must be taken to ensure that the eternal integrity is not compromised. Through wu wei, you will be cleansed.”

Invoke Patron results:
12-13 = Wang Liping grants +3 to the caster’s AC and all saving throws for 1d7 rounds.
14-17 = As above, plus the first two hits each round are reflected back on the attacker.
18-19 = As above, except all hits are reflected, and the caster receives a free melee attack back on each attacker as normal.
20-23 = As above, plus insight: the caster learns one secret Truth.
24-27 = As above, except duration is 1d14 rounds.
28-29 = As above, plus all of the caster’s attacks are at +1d3 to hit and +1d3 damage.
30-31 = As above, plus the caster may fly (60’) as the spell at will for the duration.
32+ = As above, plus the caster may use dim mak – the death touch – enemies struck by the caster’s hands or feet must make a DC 20 Fortitude save or die instantly, even if undead or otherwise immune to critical hits.

Spellburn:
1 = Wang Liping requires that the caster provide part of his spirit for some unknown purpose on the Astral Plane. As a result of the stat loss, the caster’s physical appearance is permanently altered: hair becomes grayer, then finally white, wrinkles appear on the skin, etc.
2 = The caster is required to sacrifice material possessions in addition to his physical energies for the spellburn to be effective. For each point of spellburn, the caster must donate (not to other characters!) a valuable good (judge’s discretion) of some kind. Failure means the spellburn is not effective.
3 = The blackness of the void dilates the caster’s pupils to an extreme degree, and he suffers a penalty of -2 to all actions in bright light for the next 1d5 days.
4 = The caster is struck blind by the spellburn. The stats recover as normal, but the blindness lasts for 1d7 days, followed by 1d3 days of difficulty seeing in normal conditions (-2 to all actions, -10 in dim light).

Patron taint:
1 = The caster believes that he has acquired an unclean taint from some of his other magics. Before the next sunset, he must begin to meditate motionless upon the eternal Way for 1d24 hours, during which time he must neither eat nor drink and is, for all purposes, completely vulnerable to a physical attack. After the meditation is completed, this taint plus one other taint or corruption is cleansed. If this result is rolled a second time, the meditation time is increased to 2d24 hours, and then 3d24 hours. After each 24 hours of no food, water, or sleep, the caster suffers a temporary -1 to Strength, Agility, and Stamina.
2 = Wang Liping’s voice booms in the caster’s ears and demands that he cease his frivolous activities and journey to some location 1d5 weeks distant and consult with a great monk who lives there. Of course, the monk is a powerful student of Wang Liping, and decorum requires that they engage in a fight to determine who is superior. If the caster wins, he is cleansed of this taint and one other corruption effect and receives +1 Luck. If the caster loses, he is humbled, but loses nothing other than the time (and potential danger!) of the journey. The monk may also take pity on a losing student and offer to instruct the caster further. If this result is rolled a second time, the journey takes 1d12 weeks, and then 1d24 weeks. The opportunity for many adventures along the way is obvious...
3 = The caster’s spirit is severed temporarily from his physical form, and he floats freely on the Astral Plane. The body falls to the ground, comatose, though obviously not dead. The spirit returns to the body in 1d3 days, but the caster’s physical form is completely helpless during this time and must be protected by comrades. If the body dies, the spirit is forever stuck on the Astral Plane. Many disciples of Wang Liping have met their end to this insidious corruption. Subsequent rolls of this result increase the duration to 1d5 days and finally 1d7 days, but if the caster survives all three, he is cleansed immediately of this taint and 1d10 corruption effects. Wang Liping himself has been known to visit particularly important disciples who have fallen prey to this taint, typically to express his displeasure at the weakness and failure of his disciple...
4 = The caster is immediately aware that a shadow-self is at work somewhere nearby (within the same area or dungeon, or at most, 1d3 days distant). The shadow-self is invisible to all others and acts in opposition to the caster, and must be engaged and defeated. The shadow-self also is magically aware of the caster and will actively hunt him or her down, seeking an opportune time to strike. If this result is rolled a second time, the shadow-self is 1d3 levels higher than the caster, and if the result is rolled a third time, there are 1d4 such shadow-selves acting in concert.
5 = The constant whirling of the motionless void overcomes the caster’s mind and he finds it incredibly difficult to concentrate. For all spells known by the caster (although not any other actions), the caster must succeed on a DC 8 Will save to complete the casting, otherwise the spell fails and is lost for the day. If this result is rolled a second time, the Will save is DC 10, and then DC 12. This taint may only be cleansed by one of the other cleansing effects on this table.
6 = The caster’s spirit is in constant movement within the caster, which creates a magnetic field around the caster and causes iron and steel objects to be attracted to him. For elves, this is potentially a deadly problem. Any iron or steel object within 1’ of the caster will move slowly toward them at a rate of 6” per 10 seconds. The objects can easily be stopped, and if held by another creature, the effect is noticeable but may be resisted. Any iron or steel weapon striking the caster does double damage while this taint is in effect, in addition to any normal critical results. This taint may only be cleansed by a month of long meditation and sacred exercise at a remote location. Subsequent results increase the duration of the mediation to 2 months, then 3.

Level 1: Jeet Kune Do
Range: Self, Duration: Varies, Casting time: 1 round, Save: None
Wang Liping imparts the knowledge of sacred martial artists of an ancient time to his disciple. By utilizing quick movements and channeling the powerful innate forces present within the caster’s fists and feet, the disciple makes powerful strikes that can inflict severe damage on his foes.
Manifestation = Roll 1d4: (1) the caster is surrounded by a slight reddish glow when they move, making it appear as if they are moving faster than possible; (2) the caster becomes blurry and shimmering, like a heat mirage; (3) the caster seems to blink in and out of existence when he moves, jerky and quick like a stop motion movie; (4) the caster’s eyes glow with fiery light and audible explosive sounds are heard when he connects on an attack.
2-11 = Lost and failure.
12-13 = The disciple’s hands and feet become deadly weapons! For a number of rounds equal to (1d3 + caster level), unarmed attacks inflict 1d3 + Strength damage, and the damage may be lethal instead of subdual.
14-17 = The disciple’s hands and feet become deadly weapons! For a number of rounds equal to (1d4 + caster level), unarmed attacks are at +1 to hit and inflict 1d4 + Strength damage, and the damage may be lethal instead of subdual.
18-19 = The disciple’s hands and feet become deadly weapons! For a number of rounds equal to (1d4 + caster level), unarmed attacks are at +2 to hit and inflict 1d6+1 + Strength damage, and the damage may be lethal instead of subdual.
20-23 = The disciple’s hands and feet become magical weapons! For a number of rounds equal to (1d6 + caster level), unarmed attacks are at +3 to hit, considered magical in nature, inflict 2d4+1 + Strength damage, and the damage may be lethal instead of subdual.
24-27 = The disciple’s hands and feet become magical weapons! For a number of turns equal to (1d3 + caster level), unarmed attacks are at +4 to hit, considered magical in nature, inflict 3d4+2 + Strength damage, and the damage may be lethal instead of subdual.
28-29 = The disciple’s hands and feet become magical weapons! For a number of turns equal to (1d5 + caster level), unarmed attacks are at +5 to hit, considered magical in nature, inflict 3d6+3 + Strength damage, and the damage may be lethal instead of subdual.
30-31 = The disciple’s hands and feet become magical weapons! For a number of turns equal to (1d7 + caster level), unarmed attacks are at +7 to hit, considered magical in nature, inflict 3d8+4 + Strength damage, and the damage may be lethal instead of subdual.
32+ = The disciple’s hands and feet become magical weapons! For a number of hours equal to (1d12 + caster level), unarmed attacks are at +7 to hit, considered magical in nature, inflict 3d12 + Strength damage, and the damage may be lethal instead of subdual. Opponents struck by the caster must make a DC 20 Will save or flee in terror.

Level 2: Qigong (“life energy cultivation”)
Range: Self, Duration: Varies, Casting time: 1 hour, Save: None
By practicing slow movements and breathing, the caster gains magical immunities, powerful healing abilities, and additional meditative insights that could be significant for both the caster and others.
Manifestation = Roll 1d4: (1) a strange sound, as of a gong being struck, echoes loudly from nearby; (2) low, throaty chanting in a strange tongue is heard by everyone within 100’; (3) the sound of a rushing river overpowers conversation and prevents communication by sound within 100’ of the caster for the casting time duration; (4) the caster sings loudly to himself in a strange language for the duration of the spell.
2-11 = Lost and failure.
12-13 = For 1d12 hours, the caster becomes resistant to heat, cold, and poison, though not completely immune. All damage is halved even if no save is allowed, and if a save is allowed, no damage is taken on a successful save.
14-15 = As above, except it also affects electricity and drowning/air attacks, and lasts for 1d16 hours.
16-19 = As above, but all damage is quartered, and a successful save results in no damage.
20-21 = As above for 1d24 hours, and the caster is able to survive for 1d3 turns without breathing.
22-25 = As above, and the caster regenerates 1 hp per turn.
26-29 = As above, but the caster is completely immune to damage from heat, cold, poison, electrical, and lack of oxygen for the entire duration.
30-31 = As above, and the caster is able to project themselves onto the Astral Plane for 1d3 turns.
32-33 = As above, and the caster gains a mystical insight into the nature of 1d5 obscure items held by the party or some other secret pertinent to the dungeon or campaign.
34+ = As above, except the duration is permanent, and the caster rolls three times on the patron taint table.
nerdwerds
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by nerdwerds »

Sorry, I've been absent. Real life sometimes takes precedence.
beermotor wrote:Here's how I tweaked this stuff for my game/patron, plus the different 2nd level spell. 3rd level spell is going to be something along the lines of summon elemental / control water, but haven't worked it out just yet.

Wang Liping
I like this patron, though I would use a different name for the martial arts spell. It might just be me personally but the name "Jeet Kune Do" makes me twinge because of it's real life counterpart. It would be equivalent to naming an Alter Self spell "More Than Meets the Eye" or something.

I made another patron for DCC, even though I haven't finished working on Gaz and the Drake. Before I start coming up with spells and patron taint for him I wrote a background for him:
Idelfyn Gneild
Once a wizard both feared and respected around the world, he built many towers in high places that overlooked both the land and the sky. It was once known that he acquired power through the patronage of Sezrekan the Mad, but somehow managed to avoid the worst effects of corruption. Idelfyn disappeared a thousand years ago without a word or a clue as to where he went or what happened to him. It was only in recent years that unbonded wizards began to dream of a spell left behind by Idelfyn that would bond his eternal spirit as a patron...
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

nerdwerds wrote: I like this patron, though I would use a different name for the martial arts spell. It might just be me personally but the name "Jeet Kune Do" makes me twinge because of it's real life counterpart. It would be equivalent to naming an Alter Self spell "More Than Meets the Eye" or something.
Sure, change it all you want. My campaign is a far-future thing, where "elves" are Asian, so it's sort of an ancient throwback. I wanted to have little hooks to "real life" ... I did this with all the deities/religions and culture as well. Whether it works, I dunno, time will tell.

Return to “Magic and Spells”