Wizards and cleric spells (detect magic)

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

8bitjunkie
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Wizards and cleric spells (detect magic)

Post by 8bitjunkie »

Just a quick question on wizards that have access to cleric spells...how do you handle them?

For example, Detect Magic is a cleric spell allowed to be known by wizards...it only fails for a wizard on rolling a 1; per the footnote rules at the bottom of the spell listing table in tiny text it briefly mentions that there will be either a misfire or corruption (50% of one or the other).

Ruled as is, my wizard at the table kept recasting Detect Magic without spell loss due to a low roll (like most wizard spells). Just wondering if I am missing something around spell loss due to a low roll?
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Wizards and cleric spells (detect magic)

Post by beermotor »

I would think that any misfire results in loss. Is Detect Magic the only spell that doesn't have loss as written?
bitflipr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bitflipr »

8bitjunkie wrote:Just a quick question on wizards that have access to cleric spells...how do you handle them?

For example, Detect Magic is a cleric spell allowed to be known by wizards...it only fails for a wizard on rolling a 1; per the footnote rules at the bottom of the spell listing table in tiny text it briefly mentions that there will be either a misfire or corruption (50% of one or the other).

Ruled as is, my wizard at the table kept recasting Detect Magic without spell loss due to a low roll (like most wizard spells). Just wondering if I am missing something around spell loss due to a low roll?
Treat 1-11 as Lost and Failure.
8bitjunkie
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by 8bitjunkie »

I eventually did treat 2-11 as lost and failure (1 as miscast or corruption).

But, I think there is a need here for clarification in the reprint, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something around cleric spells on the wizards list in the book.

Return to “Magic and Spells”