DCC Lankhmar

Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar setting, home to the legendary Fafhrd and Gray Mouser, is the first officially licensed setting for the DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

DCC Lankhmar

Post by finarvyn »

Found a cool thread here about combining Lankhmar (Fafhrd & Gray Mouser) with the DCC RPG.

The thread isn't that far along yet, but I thought it was worth pointing out to folks here, as Nehwon is one of my favorite settings. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: DCC Lankhmar

Post by finarvyn »

Here's another thread, this time from rpg.net, where they suggest that Lankhmar is DCC RPG's "implied" setting.

I know I'd love to see it! :D
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

Thanks for pointing these out. I will definitely follow them.

A Lankhmar-vibe is pretty much how I view DCC as well (more because of my limited Appendix N knowledge than anything else at this point).
Bisikoff
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Black Diamond Games

Post by Bisikoff »

finarvyn wrote:Here's another thread, this time from rpg.net, where they suggest that Lankhmar is DCC RPG's "implied" setting.
You mean, it's not? ;)

I'm a long time fan of Leiber and Lankhmar since grade school. Hugely formative for my early D&D years, among other things. Lankhmar is the city I tend to compare all fantasy cities against. I was very disappointed with the maps and size of Sanctuary, for instance, when I saw them - the early Thieves World covers (and stories) suggested something more ... Lankhmar.

I saw your comment on the first thread about the 1976 Lankhmar game. I have some old issues of Dragon (like 30's) where one of Leiber's friends and players provides a series of articles commenting on it. You have those?
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Bisikoff wrote:Lankhmar is the city I tend to compare all fantasy cities against.
The original Judges Guild City-State of the Invincible Overlord from the '70's always felt pretty much "Larnkhmarian" (is that a word? :shock: ) to me. I haven't looked at the Mayfair version or the Necromancer d20 CSIO, but they may be like that as well.

I use the CSIO to be Lankhmar or Greyhawk any other major city I need in a campaign. :wink:
Bisikoff wrote:I was very disappointed with the maps and size of Sanctuary, for instance, when I saw them - the early Thieves World covers (and stories) suggested something more ... Lankhmar.
I have an omnibus of the first couple of volumes of the Thieves World stories. Guess I should track it down and read it. 8)
Bisikoff wrote:I saw your comment on the first thread about the 1976 Lankhmar game. I have some old issues of Dragon (like 30's) where one of Leiber's friends and players provides a series of articles commenting on it. You have those?
I do have those.

Interesting to note that the original board game was designed in the 1930's (from memory, may be off by a decade or so) and was revised for the TSR version.

Interesting because it has many role-play elements (quests, individual characters, etc.) but was done years before D&D and role playing games were invented. :shock:
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Bisikoff
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Black Diamond Games

Post by Bisikoff »

finarvyn wrote:
Bisikoff wrote:Lankhmar is the city I tend to compare all fantasy cities against.
The original Judges Guild City-State of the Invincible Overlord from the '70's always felt pretty much "Larnkhmarian" (is that a word? :shock: ) to me. I haven't looked at the Mayfair version or the Necromancer d20 CSIO, but they may be like that as well.
As I recall, the Mayfair edition of City-State was pretty panned and awful compared to the jumbled original. The Dragon review at the time wasn't positive, if memory serves. There's a copy for $20 at the flgs, so if someone feels strongly otherwise, lemme know. :)
finarvyn wrote:
Bisikoff wrote:I was very disappointed with the maps and size of Sanctuary, for instance, when I saw them - the early Thieves World covers (and stories) suggested something more ... Lankhmar.
I have an omnibus of the first couple of volumes of the Thieves World stories. Guess I should track it down and read it. 8)
The early two - three volumes were the best. The covers - the cover of the Chaosium TG boxed set is one of them - not being the only reason. They're a bit later in publication to be real Appendix N - they all came in reaction in some ways to Appendix N material, but pretty close. They are for me, anyhow.
finarvyn wrote:Interesting because it has many role-play elements (quests, individual characters, etc.) but was done years before D&D and role playing games were invented. :shock:
I had read (decades ago, I think) the Leiber was essentially roleplaying with colleagues as creation for Faf & Mouser and all.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

I found this: http://fomalhaut.lfg.hu/2010/05/04/zothay/#more-206

It's a write-up of Zothay (from Wilderlands) that's very "Lankhmarian." I'm using it as a base of operations (and "in-between adventuring") for a Barrowmaze campaign I'm trying to get started...

Gabor Lux has a ton of great fan-made material in Labyrinth Lord / Castles & Crusades stats...easy enough to convert -- but most importantly, it has that Appendix N feel (taint?) to it.

Also -- agree that the Lankhmar supplement is without peer. I got it when it came out and it's been the default city in every setting I've every used... :)
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

I had to move this thread from the "Judges" section to here, since I had advocated for a DCC Lankhmar nearly three years ago. :lol:
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

when i think about it, i am really excited about this not only because it is leiber but because it can provide me with a sword & sorcery template for running leiberish fantasy that is not maybe even set in lankhmar.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

will masks of lankhmar feature some lankhmar specific rules modifications or suggestions? anyhow i can not wait for it to be available at online store.
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

catseye yellow wrote:will masks of lankhmar feature some lankhmar specific rules modifications or suggestions? anyhow i can not wait for it to be available at online store.
Not so much. "Masks" is an adventure for DCC Lankhmar, but also has to be 100% compatible with core DCC RPG. The intent is that you can play it with as a DCC Lankhmar adventure using the rules variants in the boxed set or as a straight DCC RPG scenario without the need to have the Lankhmar material. Plus, given the playtesting going on, anything we committed to print at the time Masks was written might potentially be obsolete or just plain wrong when the final version is released. It's a delicate balancing act to make sure everything works at all times and with all rules, but it's a better product for it.
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

thanks michael!

please drop us a few hints about rules changes when you have a time.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

and one more questio: is this module (masks) usable as a funnel?
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

catseye yellow wrote:and one more questio: is this module (masks) usable as a funnel?
No, it's not. It is explicitly intended as a 1st level adventure and doesn't make for a suitable funnel. That's intended and it has a lot to do with how we're handling starting PCs in DCC Lankhmar. More information will be provided in the boxed set.
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

already bought. i like the meet. it is good idea.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

just to say once more that masks is great adventure. without any spoilers it seems to me that dccL will play more fast and loose with luck and that it succeeds in creating quite lankhmarish feel.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

so what's next for dcc lankhmar after masks?

Return to “DCC Lankhmar”