Using the Beta for Spell Cards

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Using the Beta for Spell Cards

Post by finarvyn »

RevTurkey wrote:I am not knocking the Core Rulebook though, it is great. The formatting is a tad frustrating when you want to print out the spells for a player that they have...
I was thinking about this today. I went out and bought some cool "parchment" style cardstock and plan on making myself some spell cards. My plan was to settle down for a few hours and copy some spells into Word, then totally re-do the table layout.

Then it occured to me: the Beta download from last year is formatted with one spell per page, right?

I don't recall how many changes occured to the spells in the past year, and I know that the Beta doesn't have all of the spells, but I'll bet you could just print off what you want from the Beta and wouldn't have to re-format anything. It might not totally match the final core rulebook, but I suspect it would be pretty decent anyway. And many of the pages have cool artwork on them. :)

What do you think?
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Using the Beta for Spell Cards

Post by finarvyn »

I'm kind of bummed that no one has a thought on this. :?

I went ahead and printed some spell cards from the Beta and am counting the charts as "official." Seems to be working just fine and they look nice. :wink:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

I can haz copy plz?

:-)
Bilgewriggler
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Bilgewriggler »

finarvyn wrote:I'm kind of bummed that no one has a thought on this. :?

I went ahead and printed some spell cards from the Beta and am counting the charts as "official." Seems to be working just fine and they look nice. :wink:
I think this sounds great, but I have no idea where to find the Beta download.

Could you please point me toward it?
Purple Planeteers:

Jingles Coinclink, Halfling, hag-hacked into haggis

Nurzual the Faceter – M Jwlr - Wiz - L
S 12 A 8 (-1) S 9 P 11 I 15 (+1) L 10
AC 9 HP 6 Mv 30 Init -1 Ref 0 Fort 0 Will 1
Chalk 1pc, 20 gp Gem, Backpack, 10’ chain, 10 sheets parchment, Kith pouch, small hammer, ray-gun, Rope 50', 5gp 10sp 274 cp
shortsword +0(1d6)
Ch Psn (no MM), Clr Spr 65, Force Manip 81, Rd Mag 12, Spidr Cl 69
Pl.Common (basic)

Snooth Inksplot Scribe RIP under cave-in, a crushing loss

Qort Quiddlegit M Hlr - Cler - N(C?)
S 11 temp 14 (+1) A 11 temp 14 (+1) S 6 (-1) P 5 (-2) I 6 (-1) L 5 (-2)
AC 10 temp 11 HP 8 Mov 30 Init 0 Ref t+1 Fort 0 Will -1
club +0 (1d4+1t) - hand mirror, holy wtr, wtrskin Kith drink 12 oz drunk, 31 cp
-2 Ms fire damage
Det Magic

Brandybland Shoetree F Coblr N
S 10 A 9 S 10 P 8 (-1) I 9 L 9
AC 14 HP 1 Mov 30 Init 0 Ref 0 Fort 0; Will -1
gldtr glaive +0 (1d10) - gldtr ch mail - Fe spike, shoehorn, 48 cp
Prof: dagger
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

I would gladly pay a few extra bucks to Goodman Games for a pdf download that listed the individual spells in single pages that we could print as needed. It would also be a good way of fixing the spells that have errors in them (ie. I know one of the patron spells is missing an entry). I suppose the concern may be that people will look to purchase this instead of the full pdf just to borrow the spell system. Maybe they could charge $5 or something to reach a happy compromise?

Another option could be to add it as part of their first yearly Supplement, perhaps with some new spells. That way they can charge the full price of the supplement (detering free-loaders that just want the spells) and it's an extra incentive/bonus for customers to buy it. This option probably makes more sense though it means we could be waiting a long time :(
Semi-Retired Gamer
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Wizard's Asylum

Post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

Just curious if anyone has completed this for all of the spells? A stack of Spell Cards would make a super useful tool.
Charlie
----------------------------------------------------
I (mainly) blog about role-playing topics at The Semi-Retired Gamer.

Reading: The Lair of Bones by David Farland.
nerdwerds
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by nerdwerds »

Bilgewriggler wrote:
finarvyn wrote:I'm kind of bummed that no one has a thought on this. :?

I think this sounds great, but I have no idea where to find the Beta download.
This.

When I write down spells on a character sheet I'm just planning on writing page numbers and the unique manifestations and mercurial magic effects.
"The Shamrock Shake is a frosty, minty symbol of all that we hold dear. It is shameful that we as a people cannot enjoy this proud, symbolic beverage any more than one week a year. Unless the British government loosens its iron grip on this most Irish of shakes, the streets will once again run red with English blood." - Gerry Adams, leader of Sinn Fein, the IRA's political wing.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Sorry for the confusion. By "beta" I meant the free download that everyone could do in June, 2011. The "open playtest" PDF version that had character levels 1-5 and so on. I wasn't referring to any secret files that only I could access.

I guess I assumed that it was still online somewhere.

EDIT: Just rechecked the Goodman main website. I found the old link, but it goes nowhere. Guess the Beta is now no longer an option for folks, and sorry for the confusion.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
nerdwerds
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by nerdwerds »

Because my players aren't familiar with everything their magic can do, I wrote up my own spell "cards"

Keep in mind, these are customized to the PC with mercurial magic effects written in so some of the numbers may look a little... off.
"The Shamrock Shake is a frosty, minty symbol of all that we hold dear. It is shameful that we as a people cannot enjoy this proud, symbolic beverage any more than one week a year. Unless the British government loosens its iron grip on this most Irish of shakes, the streets will once again run red with English blood." - Gerry Adams, leader of Sinn Fein, the IRA's political wing.
Rostranor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rostranor »

I dig those.

Not to get too retro, but a spell book of single one page loose leaf paper would be bad @ss! Retro harn, Monster Manual type. so that a player could literally build a spell book. havign the ability to have the mecurial effects in there would be super cool, but might be to unique for a mass produced item.

bottom line: get the spells the conform to 1 sheet of paper.

Hey wasnt someone on the board working on that project?

Return to “Magic and Spells”