Max Spell Level & Learning New Spells

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Max Spell Level & Learning New Spells

Post by jason.richardson »

Hello,

Does the Max Spell Level Entry on Table 1-12 restrict the Wizard from to learn and cast a spell of higher level? For example, if a 1st level Wizard finds a grimoire that describes the 2nd level spell Invisibility, when he reaches 2nd level, can he attempt to learn the spell and cast it? Table 1-12 seems to say this isn't an option, but on page 106 the text says that a Wizard and attempt to learn and cast higher level spells.

Any help?
roarmalf
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: Max Spell Level & Learning New Spells

Post by roarmalf »

My take so far has been that a wizard can only learn spells as able in the table EXCEPT through his Patron. Meaning that he can cast more advanced spells using Invoke Patron or even learn a higher level Patron Spell in a spell slot.

That said I think that the higher level spells are well balanced by their increased chance to fail and more painful corruption, so as long as you feel like it adds to the game I would say let them learn it.

My favorite thing about this system is that it really gives the GM/judge rules that he can use while allowing a lot of freedom to make things work in the most entertaining/thematically appropriate/mean/etc. way possible
DocJohnson
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Max Spell Level & Learning New Spells

Post by DocJohnson »

I'm a bit confused about how Table 1-1 (Ability Scores) and Table 1-12 relate to each other, as both include Max Spell Level entries.

Based one what I've read so far in this thread, I'm guessing that Table 1-12 tells us what the max spell level is that one can learn at a particular experience level (with the exception of Patron Spells, as noted above).

The score on Table 1-1 tells us what is the max level of spell that the PC can learn, period. That is, a wizard with an Intelligence of 9 may learn spells up to 2nd level only, and never any from above that level, even if it is, for example, a 3rd level patron spell. So, that wizard couldn't ever, under any circumstances, learn a 3rd level spell.

So, given that, a first level character, provided that he or she has both has the level of intelligence required (10 or above) and access to a 3rd level Patron Spell, can try to cast that 3rd level Patron Spell at experience level 1. Is this interpretation correct?

Return to “Magic and Spells”