Good program to assist adventure writing

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Mintaro
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Good program to assist adventure writing

Post by Mintaro »

Hey guys, I've started working on a 0 level adventure for my ongoing campaign group, and i'm having a hard time getting things organised. I have horrible handwriting and as such like to use the computer for room descriptors and flavor text. Does anyone know of a good program that I can use to write and format text and pictures (maps and player handouts)? Preferably free.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: Good program to assist adventure writing

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Google Docs, Libre Office, AbiWord, etc.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
grinnock
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by grinnock »

I'll second Google docs. You can drop photos into them easily and your work will be available anywhere with internet so you'll be able to print them out anywhere you can find a printer and access to the net.
My blog, full of OSR goodness, monsters, and session reports: Carapace King
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Mintaro wrote:Hey guys, I've started working on a 0 level adventure for my ongoing campaign group, and i'm having a hard time getting things organised. I have horrible handwriting and as such like to use the computer for room descriptors and flavor text. Does anyone know of a good program that I can use to write and format text and pictures (maps and player handouts)? Preferably free.
If you're generating your own maps -- I use GIMP for most interior stuff (look on the Cartographer's Guild website for many many step-by-step tutorials) and Inkscape for exterior/hexmaps.

Either one of those programs are infinitely useful for diagrams and other player handouts, as well.

The other option for organizing your adventure/campaign material is pbworks -- don't know the situation in your gaming group (paper or electronic or a combination of both) -- but that has been a great resource for me. It's a free wiki and you can control who has access to what pages, etc.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

ragboy wrote:If you're generating your own maps -- I use GIMP for most interior stuff (look on the Cartographer's Guild website for many many step-by-step tutorials) and Inkscape for exterior/hexmaps.

Either one of those programs are infinitely useful for diagrams and other player handouts, as well.
Inkscape is my favourite, for dungeons and wilderness hex maps.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Ravenheart87 wrote:
ragboy wrote:If you're generating your own maps -- I use GIMP for most interior stuff (look on the Cartographer's Guild website for many many step-by-step tutorials) and Inkscape for exterior/hexmaps.

Got any examples? I'd love to consolidate.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

ragboy wrote:
Ravenheart87 wrote:

Got any examples? I'd love to consolidate.
Only a few unfinished ones. I used Judges Guild's brilliant Wilderlands maps for wilderness and I made my dungeons with pencil on paper in the last year. This summer I'm planning to finish the maps for my own setting this summer, I'm going to share those. Until then, check out the Bat in the Attic blog, there are a few tutorials.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Ravenheart87 wrote: Only a few unfinished ones. I used Judges Guild's brilliant Wilderlands maps for wilderness and I made my dungeons with pencil on paper in the last year. This summer I'm planning to finish the maps for my own setting this summer, I'm going to share those. Until then, check out the Bat in the Attic blog, there are a few tutorials.
Yep -- I've been ripping off Rob Conely for years... :) Looking more for internal mapping methods with inkscape.
AKA Paul Wolfe
My Gamer Profile

Return to “Judges' Forum”