Handicapping the Tournament this Year?? - place your bets!!

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

superfan
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Handicapping the Tournament this Year?? - place your bets!!

Post by superfan »

My vote is on Clan Yeoman to once again kick ass this year and go all the way. I've heard they are in intensive preparation using top secret Chinese VR technology. Inside knowledge from Dan "Deathstrike" Adams promises that the team is hungry for gold, and plans to take back the crown from the Dead Bunny Crew.

So hat's off to all the soon to be teams in this year's tourney, and THE SUPERFAN has his money on Clan Yeoman!!!

Go team!!!!

Ben "superfan" Waxman :D :D :D
"They Might Be Dwarves" - World Champions Xcrawl 2007. So BAD...but yet so good.
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

While I earnestly wish Clan Yeoman and the Bunny Killer's good luck, I have a feeling that a complete unknown will claw their way through the competition and eke out a spot in the finals, if not outright win the whole thing.

Palace in the Wastes is not your daddy's tournament, so to speak. I think from the beginning of round one people will realize that it is as different from Crypt of the Devil Lich and Vault of the Dragon Kings as those two were from each other. It's quite an accomplishment to weave so many new twists and turns into a tournament structure.

I can't wait to witness firsthand the gnashing and grinding of teeth and the moans of despair from the players!
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Ha! :) Thanks for the vote of confidence Superfan! You may be a bit optimistic (we didn't even make it to the final round last year), but we appreciate it! It's good to have someone rooting for you. Josh and his team have won 2 years straight though...they're tough.

Either way, we're looking forward to a GREAT tournament again! We can't wait to see what devious adventure was cooked up for this year.

Not long now! GenCon is almost upon us!
Dark Oracle of Gaming
superfan
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by superfan »

Don't worry Dan, those North Korean steroids and amphetamines I sent you should be just the thing to give you and your team the edge.

Remember, I've got a BIG bet on you guys in Vegas, and so you had better come through for me. Smuggling in that VR gear from China was not easy (or cheap).

Go team....or my legs get broke... :x :mrgreen:
"They Might Be Dwarves" - World Champions Xcrawl 2007. So BAD...but yet so good.
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

Wow. Ben got it right.

Congrats to Clan Yeoman for winning the 2006 GenCon Dungeon Crawl Classic Tournament. They not only won the whole thing this year, they also become the first and only team to advance into at least the 2nd Round each year!

They faced some tough competition from some stalwart, returning teams, and a variety of new teams chomping at the bit to take on the Palace in the Wastes.

Sadly, several of them who survived into round two quickly wished they hadn't, as there were many, many deaths to be had. [/b]
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
superfan
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by superfan »

I KNEW my black market drugs would save the day!

Yay Clan Yeoman!!!!

Better winning and living through Chemistry

Ben "I prescribe dangerous narcotics for a living" Waxman :D
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

Now you can see just how well Clan Yeoman, and all the teams, did while exploring the Palace in the Wastes, here:

http://www.goodman-games.com/tourneyresults06.php
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
bobrunnicles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bobrunnicles »

Interesting stats! I feel bad for the Fighting Mongoose - TPK on round 1? That's gotta suck!

I think Sipla is a 'Killer GM' - only ran three games, and all three are in the bottom five out of twenty-eight? With a 66% kill rate between the three games? OUCH :)
Bifster
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Underdogs RULE

Post by Bifster »

Howdy folks!

I'm a returning hard-core gamer from back in the day and my first taste of 3.5 rules was a last-minute, unplanned plunge into the DCC tournament at GenCon (my first GenCon). So, needless to say... Palace in the Wastes was quite the wake-up call. And we had plenty stacked against us... we had only 3 guys in our group, 2 of which had never played 3.5 rules and none of us knew anything about the tournament or the pre-gens before we sat down at the table at 10 PM Friday night. Hence, the team name... Underdogs. I won't say I'm proud of our 930 Pt. performance... but at least we didn't die!

Long story short, I had an absolute blast. I'm an instant fan of DCC. I really enjoyed all of the GMs that I met and all the other folks running the tournament. I've even bought a couple of the other DCC modules since GenCon (Into the Wilds, Revenge of the Rat King, The Transmuter's Last Touch).

I'm preparing to start up a game here on the west side of Indy, and I just have to ask... when will the Palace in the Wastes be available as a module? I just *HAVE TO* see the rest of the dungeon, since my team only saw about 5 rooms. But hey... at least we didn't die!
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Hey Bifster! Welcome to the club.

I'd highly recommend picking up Crypt of the Devil Lich and Vault of the Dragon Kings (the tournament modules for 04 and 05 respectively).

We've played in the tourney for 3 years now...and have had an absolute blast each year.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Underdogs RULE

Post by goodmangames »

Bifster wrote:I'm preparing to start up a game here on the west side of Indy, and I just have to ask... when will the Palace in the Wastes be available as a module? I just *HAVE TO* see the rest of the dungeon, since my team only saw about 5 rooms. But hey... at least we didn't die!
Glad you had fun in the tournament! Look for the complete edition of Palace of the Wastes to be available before Gen Con next year (around June or July).

-- Joseph
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
N'Haaz-aua
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by N'Haaz-aua »

Being one of the few who has seen the entire scenario, a lot of teams will be suprised how close they came to certain death in several areas. Other teams became intimately familiar with those aspects and aren't talking. I hope I don't provke any drooling while you wait. Its a great read with a great backstory which I think only 2 teams came even close to uncovering.
bobrunnicles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bobrunnicles »

N'Haaz-aua wrote:I hope I don't provoke any drooling while you wait.
You mean while we wait TEN FREAKING MONTHS for a print release? I'll have *drowned* in my own drool by then!

:D :D :D :D
Bifster
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Underdogs RULE

Post by Bifster »

goodmangames wrote: Glad you had fun in the tournament! Look for the complete edition of Palace of the Wastes to be available before Gen Con next year (around June or July).

-- Joseph
Ouch! I was thinking, like... Christmas. At least now I know. Thanks for the info.

And just to be clear, I don't care if it's 3 years from now, I will be one of the first to buy a copy.

Just kidding. I wouldn't last 3 years. I'm pretty sure I would be camping out in front of Rancho El Goodman by the end of the 2nd year.

Thanks again,

Bifster
superfan
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by superfan »

Bifster,

If there is something you NEED to know, and can't wait, I have the module from the Con and can look up the answer for you.

Damn, it's good to be Goodman Games' Superfan!

Bifster
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Bifster »

superfan wrote:Bifster,

If there is something you NEED to know, and can't wait, I have the module from the Con and can look up the answer for you.

Damn, it's good to be Goodman Games' Superfan!

Thanks! That's a heck of an offer. Don't ever say that pleading and whining won't get you anything!

But, seriously, I don't NEED to see anything. I'm just very anxious to see the whole story and the rest of the maps, etc. Even the small bit we saw near the beginning and the other stories I've heard all indicate a really well thought out adventure.

I'm frustrated because I feel like my team in the tournament actually did the right things... just not fast enough. If we had been in someone's dining room, playing a weekly game, then we would have had the time to move through slowly, thoroughly and efficiently... which is how it should be done.

And speed is clearly an important factor in competition, so this is not a critique of the tournament at all. You have to move quickly in a tournament, obviously. I'm just looking forward to seeing the adventure in a non-timed format.

I'm sure many on this board share my frustration, in that we got all engrossed in a really well crafted story that has a lot of depth, and now we get to wait a year to get to see the rest (in my case, to see the other 95%.)

Bottom line, I'm convinced this will be an incredilbe adventure and I'm very much looking forward to it. Thanks to everyone involved!

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”