Dead Characters

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Dead Characters

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Just a quick question, esp. to those who have done more playtesting in the Beta.

I really like the 0-lvl funnel, but I am curious what the design idea is for when part of a party dies (as will happen!) -- are new characters brought in at 0-lvl? Does the player make 4 nobodies, or is he intended to create a character at the current party level?

Just curious what the intent of the design is, and what various Judges are doing in their games.

Thanks,

RC
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Dead Characters

Post by Harley Stroh »

For my home games / playtests we've been introducing new PCs of like-level.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
abk108
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by abk108 »

It really depends on the DM.

Some like to add 0 Lvl PCs.

Others like to add PCs of at least 1st Level (so they're not utterly useless)

Others allow a PC at the current party level, or at the same XP of the deceased one.

---

I read some people have the player create four 0-lvl PCs, then randomly kill 3 of them (or just let the Player pick), then level up the remaining PC.
Author of Arcanix RPG - fantasy medieval d6 system
learn more :
http://arcanixrpg.webs.com
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Two guys showed up the session after the funnel and we all agreed they make 4, 0 level "door openers". I give a party lowest -1 level rule. This way you're punished for dying. That rule gets easier with 4 players playing two characters each.
shadewest
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by shadewest »

I've found bringing in zeroes to a first level party is clumsy. Alsomst universally, they get equipped and bankrolled by the higher level pcs, but are still really vulnerable, and outshines way too much. When everyone is zero level, it's a different vibe. The funnel really is a different style of play, and it didn't seem to mix well.
...unless the judge rules otherwise.

Steven Thivierge
Playtester and additional design for:DCC RPG.
SYKOJAK
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by SYKOJAK »

shadewest wrote:I've found bringing in zeroes to a first level party is clumsy. Alsomst universally, they get equipped and bankrolled by the higher level pcs, but are still really vulnerable, and outshines way too much. When everyone is zero level, it's a different vibe. The funnel really is a different style of play, and it didn't seem to mix well.
Hmmm. That is interesting. As a player, I personally would not risk giving to another Player Character any form of monetary investment due to thier frailty/lack of class abilities. Too much liability for little reward in return. They are there, to do the things, that I don't want to do, as a higher level PC. Part of the appeal of playing a 0 level character, is earning your first stripe, so to speak. Anyone who has ever joined the Armed Forces should know what I mean.

As an example, when one person leaves civilian life, (as a 0 level toon) and enters "Boot Camp" of the service of thier choice mind you. They may or may not get the training they need to serve as a respective member of the armed forces branch they choose to enlist into, (eg. Sailor, Soldier, Airman, or Marine.) Once that person completes Basic Training or "Boot Camp" as I like to call it, they then go on to thier role in the Armed service that they chose, (ie. thier M.O.S. Military Occupational Specialty.) Only by making it through "Boot Camp" does the Character earn the right to have a Class.
The example of "Boot Camp" is the Character Funnel for a full party of 0 level characters. Or a character's first adventure with a regular party of adventurers. Yes, even in a regular party of half 1st level PCs and half 0 level "Boots", those 0 level FNGs, are going to be more useless than help in a party. This is mainly because they don't have a class to begin with. But they are there for bodies, (aka, cannon fodder.)
I look at it like, until those "Boots" earn thier place within the party, (complete an adventure, hense gaining the experience needed to choose a class/role in the party,) they will be nothing more than arrow/spell/melee attack fodder. Yet another target for the opponents of the party to roll thier dice against. So that the professionals of the party, (ie. those with a Class and level above 0,) can handle the situation at hand, mainly defeating the opposition.
This is not to say that 0 level "Boots" can not have moments of brilliance. Anyone can get lucky in this game. On the flip side of that equation, is anyone can also be unlucky can cause the death of themselves or another member of the party. DMs just live for fumbles/ monster Crits!
There comes a point in time when it all comes down to the roll of a die!
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Given the above example, which I think is spot on, think of 0 levels travelling with 1st or 2nd levels as kind of an ROTC program.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I go with the "similar level" concept. As others noted, the funnel is great when everyone is the same but doesn't quite feel the same when you mix higher characters in with the zeroes.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

I've had several Total Party Kills, it was a wake-up call to my players with bad habits (being used to balanced encounters.)

I let the players decide. They still have to roll 3 or 4 0-level characters like normal (so Occupation and starting equipment is random as usual.) The I let them level one character, of their choosing, to match the level of the lowest leveled character (above 0).
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
grinnock
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by grinnock »

I lost two PCs in the last session, and a new player joining the next, so I've decided to give the players some options. They can either roll a herd of peasants, balancing the risk of low stat rolls with numbers, but being more or less ablative armor for the rest of the party, or they can roll a level 1 character as risk fate. We'll only have a few characters at second level anyway, so the disparity shouldn't be too keenly felt.
My blog, full of OSR goodness, monsters, and session reports: Carapace King

Return to “DCC RPG General”