DCC #30 - Vault of the Dragon Kings

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

DCC #30 - Vault of the Dragon Kings

Post by ynnen »

*drool*

I just received my comp copies of the final print product for DCC #30 - Vault of the Dragon Kings, and I'm secure enough in my manliness to say I proudly wept tears of pure joy as I thumbed through the 128-page module, marveling at the great artwork.

For those of you who got to run through the module at GenCon 2005, you can finally discover all the things you missed, and let this module loose on your own unsuspecting game groups.

For those of you that weren't able to join us at GenCon 2005, you'll get a kick out of the tournament results (including kill totals by team and by round). In fact, all the information needed to run Vault "tourney style" is included with the module (the pre-generated PCs, scoring, etc), so you can run this at home and see how your group stacks up to the tournament players' results.

I'm insanely proud of this project, and all the hard work put in by the hordes of DMs, playtesters and contributors. I'd like to take a moment here to especially thank Joseph Goodman for the opportunity to write this massive module, my good friend and playtest pawn Jeff McSpadden for the countless hours playtesting and DMing the scenario, and Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel for his incredible work helping me develop some of the most interesting and diabolic creatures to ever grace a Dungeon Crawl Classic.

... I'll also be glad to discuss the module with anyone here on the boards... I just ask that you properly note things that may be considered ** SPOILER ** material so folks can choose whether or not they want to sneak a peek behind the scenes.
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Jason, the wait on this has been painful! Stop sobbing and blubbering and just release it! Stop teasing us with the details! :D

Looking forward to seeing the module in its entirety.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
superfan
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by superfan »

Yes!!!

Release it already, and award me my prize for writing!!! I never heard about the outcome for the writeup post tourney.

Great adventure.....word to the wise though, don't play the %$*%$*# kobold!!!! Auto fail save at the _________ trap!!!! AHHH$HJ$%(#*%)(#))%

Greatly frustrated but learning to cope,

Ben "superfan" Waxman
"They Might Be Dwarves" - World Champions Xcrawl 2007. So BAD...but yet so good.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

superfan wrote:
Great adventure.....word to the wise though, don't play the %$*%$*# kobold!!!! Auto fail save at the _________ trap!!!! AHHH$HJ$%(#*%)(#))%
Was that in the final round? Since I'll be GMing, I guess I won't have to worry about that. :)
Dark Oracle of Gaming
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

LOL -- Dan, you're just going to have to wait to find out. I think the rest of your Clan Yeoman members will really have a good time dying -- er, trying -- the last level.

It is an incredibly tough module, there's no question about it. I'm surprised more teams didn't end up in TPKs -- although it was only a four hour block. I imagine the threat level will be significantly higher for teams navigating through each level in its entirety.

Some of the encounters are horrendously powerful. But there are numerous built-in means to help the players compensate or help balance the odds, even against the more formidable foes.
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Even though we played in all 3 rounds of the Devil Lich, I still picked up the module and enjoyed reading through it. I suspect this will be the same.

The group is definitely excited about playing the last round. I'll let you know how it turns out. :)
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: DCC #30 - Vault of the Dragon Kings

Post by Blackdirge »

ynnen wrote:I'd like to take a moment here to especially thank Joseph Goodman for the opportunity to write this massive module, my good friend and playtest pawn Jeff McSpadden for the countless hours playtesting and DMing the scenario, and Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel for his incredible work helping me develop some of the most interesting and diabolic creatures to ever grace a Dungeon Crawl Classic.
Thanks, it was blast. I must admit to being fiendishly proud of that 84% kill rate at Gen Con. :twisted:

BD
jester47
Gongfarmer

Post by jester47 »

I claim full responsibilty for making the decision that TPKed "This Horn Blows" and thus a lot of the credit for its deadliness sits on my shoulders.

Aaron Webb, 3rd place team, GenCon2005
N'Haaz-aua
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by N'Haaz-aua »

I have to say that playtesting VotDK was a real challenge, and our misfortunes and sucesses in playtesting made it even tougher.

Without any spoilers, I would say this adventure is finer tuned and more deadly than anything that has come before in DCC, even the spectacular Devil Lich. The monsters are shockingly difficult and the encounters are well crafted and entertaining. I think the winning team should be very proud not to have made it a 100% kill rate on the lower level.
Last edited by N'Haaz-aua on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

I now have the Vault of the Dragon Kings in my eager little hands, and I have to say that it looks great! I'll be reading it more thoroughly this weekend.

I have a few of questions -

1. Looking at the scoring, I was wondering how many points I take off for character death (I haven't read through it yet, just skimmed over it...but I haven't seen it yet).

2. Any recommendations on adjusting the adventure for 5 players? I'd like to give my gaming group the chance to play the last round, and I'd hate to leave one player out that week.
Dark Oracle of Gaming

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”