SuperModules in the future for DCCs?

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

naturaltwenty
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Game Universe - Franklin WI

SuperModules in the future for DCCs?

Post by naturaltwenty »

Once DCC #35 comes out will there be any supermodule like the old 128 pager A1-4 Secret of the Slavers Stockade, GDQ1 (Giant Series), etc?

Later,

Greg Volz
www.naturaltwenty.com
Greg Volz
Natural Twenty Games
http://www.naturaltwenty.com
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Gosh! Who knows? But I'm still pretty sure a great deal will depend on what everyone thinks of #35. If it's well received, send your ideas Joseph's and Harley's way. :D
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Jeff LaSala wrote:a great deal will depend on what everyone thinks of #35. If it's well received, send your ideas Joseph's and Harley's way.
Can I say it's well received even before it comes out, let alone arrives in my grubby paws?!?
bighara
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by bighara »

It's funny. I was just thinking about how cool it would be to run a DCC#14-based campaign in the Known Realms. :lol:

PS- Hey Jeff, when does "Transmuter" come out? Will there be a pdf for it as well?
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

Hey - I thought I heard something about DCC #14 ... :)

As the author of Interludes, I'm always keen to hear people looking to integrate the interconnected stories into a campaign -- and the big beautiful boxed set creates the perfect opportunity!

Keep us posted on how it goes!
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Hey Jeff, when does "Transmuter" come out? Will there be a pdf for it as well?

In both questions I can only redirect you to Joseph Goodman! But I can tell you that Transmuter is supposed to be out this month. Maybe by the end? I'm dying to see it myself.

There's just something great about a book you can afford just by stealing a few coins from your piggy bank... :D
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
naturaltwenty
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by naturaltwenty »

If we look back on the history of the supermodule there was:

T1-4: The Temple of Elemental Evil. This module was sparked by T1 Village of Homlet and was hinted at being continued by Gygax but never was. Along comes the mid-eighties and TSR comes out with T1-4 ToEE which includes the original T1 and then expands it.

So a lower level module could be taken and expanded to encompass itself and then blossom out too a supermodule.

A1-4 Scourge of the Slavelords linked 4 GenCon (A1, A2, A3 and A4) adventures into a single, relatively cohesive group of adventures. I am not familiar with every DCC (yet) so I don't know if there have been a series of linked adventures like the old AD&D Open.

GDQ1 - Queen of the Spiders. This adventure linked together the Giant Series (G1, G2 and G3) along with the Drow Series (D1, D2 and D3) then piled Q1 on top of that. A mega, globe spanning (and not just on the surface) adventure culminating in the battle against a demon queen.

The continuity of the DCC series does not seem to be at this point quite yet and since it took many years from the original TSR modules printing to the end result of the supermodule it may be a while in the coming for this type of grand campaign.

As of now is there any link between adventures like common NPCs, locations, etc or is that what DCC 35 will bring to the table?

Later,

Greg V.
Greg Volz
Natural Twenty Games
lukash
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by lukash »

I'd be okay with it as long as the 'hack' factor stays pretty high. I'm worried the world setting will skew future modules into the 'role-playing' arena, and nobody wants that, do they?

I prefer smaller, high casualty modules. :)
22 Start / 3 Dead / 6 Wounded / Portal Under the Stars
12 Start / 3 Dead / 0 Wounded / Sailors on the Starless Sea (not finished)
naturaltwenty
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by naturaltwenty »

Did you ever play GDQ1 or any of the individual giant series (not trying to be snarky:) :) )? The supermodule had a 34-36 page mini book with all the stats for all the monster entries. If memory serves (I'm too lazy to go down the basement right now) there are rooms with 40 or 50 trolls, or 20 hill giants. The Giant series is the epitome of hack.

Later,

Greg V.
Greg Volz
Natural Twenty Games
lukash
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by lukash »

Nope, I never played it. For some reason I remember a lot of those Gazeteers being very wordy is all. I'm sure DCC won't be that way. :)
22 Start / 3 Dead / 6 Wounded / Portal Under the Stars
12 Start / 3 Dead / 0 Wounded / Sailors on the Starless Sea (not finished)
bighara
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by bighara »

naturaltwenty wrote:Did you ever play GDQ1 or any of the individual giant series (not trying to be snarky:) :) )? The supermodule had a 34-36 page mini book with all the stats for all the monster entries. If memory serves (I'm too lazy to go down the basement right now) there are rooms with 40 or 50 trolls, or 20 hill giants. The Giant series is the epitome of hack.

Later,

Greg V.
I have a vague recollection of some Hill Giants trying to spray the party with burning oil pumped from a giant barrel. IIRC, my archer shot it with a flaming arrow and it blew up, taking out the 2-3 giant crew manning the pumps. No idea if that was actually in the module as written (I was a player, not the DM), but good fun nonetheless.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Jeff LaSala wrote:

In both questions I can only redirect you to Joseph Goodman! But I can tell you that Transmuter is supposed to be out this month. Maybe by the end? I'm dying to see it myself.
I have copies of Transmuter in the office right now! It's shipping to distributors and should start appearing in stores the last week of July. And yes, there will be a PDF version as well.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
bighara
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by bighara »

goodmangames wrote:
Jeff LaSala wrote:

I have copies of Transmuter in the office right now! It's shipping to distributors and should start appearing in stores the last week of July. And yes, there will be a PDF version as well.
*ahem*

HOORAY!! :D
Maliki
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maliki »

Ogrepuppy wrote:
Jeff LaSala wrote:a great deal will depend on what everyone thinks of #35. If it's well received, send your ideas Joseph's and Harley's way.
Can I say it's well received even before it comes out, let alone arrives in my grubby paws?!?
I agree, there is a lot of talk about DCC 35, at least on the boards I visit, there is a lot of buzz about it.
waltero
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Monarch Supermodule?

Post by waltero »

Just perusing the DCC titles, maybe you could patch together a Kings and Queens supermodule - Idylls of the Rat King, Revenge of Rat King, Legacy of the Savage Kings, War of the Witch Queen, and Vault of the Dragon Kings. Don't know if this makes any logical sense. I've only played the Idylls of the Rat King module out of this bunch.
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Joseph, will you be posting any sample interior art for this? Or must we all just wait for the hardcopy? :?
bighara
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Monarch Supermodule?

Post by bighara »

waltero wrote:Just perusing the DCC titles, maybe you could patch together a Kings and Queens supermodule - Idylls of the Rat King, Revenge of Rat King, Legacy of the Savage Kings, War of the Witch Queen, and Vault of the Dragon Kings. Don't know if this makes any logical sense. I've only played the Idylls of the Rat King module out of this bunch.
Well, "Revenge" is -of course- designed to work as a follow up to DCC1, the rest I don't know about, since I don't own them. Most of my DCC purchases have -so far- been the lower level modules.

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”