Funky Dice & Weapon Damage?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Ze Groupe
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Funky Dice & Weapon Damage?

Post by Ze Groupe »

Just out of curiosity, why do none of the weapons utilize the funky dice for damage? Wouldn't they be a cool way to make small differences between various very similar weapons?

Cheers.
Doomwarden
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Funky Dice & Weapon Damage?

Post by Doomwarden »

Ze Groupe wrote:Just out of curiosity, why do none of the weapons utilize the funky dice for damage? Wouldn't they be a cool way to make small differences between various very similar weapons?

Cheers.
IMO that's an outstanding idea...
oncelor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by oncelor »

I had wondered that as well.
Aplus
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Aplus »

In my game, I plan to increment the damage die rather than giving out the standard +1, +2, etc. weapons. For example, you could have a magic bow that does d7 or d8 instead of d6. A magic dagger that does d5, etc.

Other ideas include adding d3 lightning damage to a weapon, etc.

I think anything that gives magic items a fresh coat of paint is a good thing.

My examples are of course of the most rudimentary sort. The funky dice can be used in many different ways to make things more interesting.
Check out my DCC Resources Page for cool stuff!
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

Yeah that is exactly my plan for magical items as well.

You can do some interesting things with the funky dice so that you can spice up an otherwise boring +2 sword for instance. Maybe it's the Short Sword of Sharpness now, +2 hit, 1-10 damage, 1-16 on a natural 20. Really it's not much different than the old short sword +2 but it seems much more interesting now.
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

Cool ideas! I like how simple it is and how it includes the expensive new dice. For $35 I want to get all the use I can out of these things.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Colin

Post by Colin »

I have to agree with everyone else; if you're going to use funky dice, USE funky dice. :)
I like the idea of using the greater range for normal weapons, but especially enjoy the idea that each +1 step on ye olde magical weapon being instead maybe a step up to the next die type.

Colin
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I think it comes down to the way the game was initially envisoned by Joseph. I don't want to speak for him, but I got the impression through his posts that he liked the funky dice and wanted to use them in a RPG. I don't think that the initial plan was to create a RPG which used only funky dice, but one that used it sometimes.

Since then there have been quite a few posts with interesting ways to use the funky dice (hit points, spell damage, stat rolling, weapon bonus, and so on) if the designer chooses. I'm not sure if he's willing to diverge that far from classic RPG style or not.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

finarvyn wrote:I'm not sure if he's willing to diverge that far from classic RPG style or not.
Which is why it is worth challenging his notions? The world does not need another retro-clone. Certainly not at retail prices when so many clones are free on the web. DCCRPG has to be unique. Joe already picked Zocchi dice as one dimension of uniqueness, but only halfheartedly. These requests to make people's $35 investment seem more worth it matter.
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

jmucchiello wrote:
finarvyn wrote:I'm not sure if he's willing to diverge that far from classic RPG style or not.
Which is why it is worth challenging his notions? The world does not need another retro-clone. Certainly not at retail prices when so many clones are free on the web. DCCRPG has to be unique. Joe already picked Zocchi dice as one dimension of uniqueness, but only halfheartedly. These requests to make people's $35 investment seem more worth it matter.

Yes +1. Don't half*** it! Go all the way!
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Colin

Post by Colin »

jmucchiello wrote: Which is why it is worth challenging his notions? The world does not need another retro-clone. Certainly not at retail prices when so many clones are free on the web. DCCRPG has to be unique. Joe already picked Zocchi dice as one dimension of uniqueness, but only halfheartedly. These requests to make people's $35 investment seem more worth it matter.
I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Colin

Return to “DCC RPG General”