A New Character Sheet From GnomeBoy...???

You know... whatever.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

A New Character Sheet From GnomeBoy...???

Post by GnomeBoy »

Scroll down the Everything Else Board a bit, and you'll see a thread called "GnomeBoy's Tribute to Dungeon Crawl Classics", where I posted a homemade sheet in patented "old school" style back in the halcyon days of 3e. That thread has continued to pull in "views" since the dawning of 4e, often a big chunk of hits at a time (gaming groups discovering it?).

But how much interest is there in a 4e sheet? Something with a similar aesthetic sensibility, but with the 4e skill list and room for your powers, path, etc. etc. etc....

Assuming there is at least some interest, I'm interested enough to develop one. Actually, I had been developing one, as my group was dipping our toes in the 4th Edition waters. But most of the group found the waters too cold, so we're not going that way. Myself, I found the game to be fine, but not so hot as to replace anything else.

So, to go forward from here, since I'm not playing 4e for now, I'd like to have some beta-testers who could road test the sheet as I get the layout somewhere that actually works, not just looks pretty.

Anybody want to test a trial version or three on the way to a finished design? Post in this thread if you are, and I'll set up a link for the work-in-progress....

Here's a quick link to the thread with the 3e sheet: http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... =17&t=3169. Yep, that's shameless self-promotion. :mrgreen:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Re: A New Character Sheet From GnomeBoy...???

Post by DCCfan »

I really enjoy using your 3E sheet. I would be interested in a 4E version. However I won't be playing in a game until at least mid January. My group is taking a break for the holidays. I hope you still find the time to develop it. Thank you in advance for what will be an excellent addition to my game.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Here is a very rough draft of a potential 4th Edition character sheet in the same style as my 3e sheet.

http://www.twrfcreative.com/iconic/dcccs4e.pdf

If you get a chance to test this draft, please post here so I can hammer it into something that makes long time gamers who are playing 4th Ed. jump up and down with delight.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

I can see that there have been several page views on this thread -- is anybody trying out the sheet, or are those numbers just representing looky-loos?

Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

I haven't tried it out yet, but from an aesthetics POV I'd like to see it extended to two pages. A lot of info get clumped together, like "Feats and Languages" and the whole "init" to "willpower" column. I'd rather see that broken into sections, like "Defenses," "Movement and Initiative," and "Passives."
But I like really compartmentalized info.
Similarly there's not much room between the ability score column and the misc info column. One place you can probably gain room back would be the power list on the right side. Power cards make life a lot easier, so if you assume the player is using (some form of) power cards, you can forgo that list and make the flow of info on your main character sheet a bit easier to follow.
That would be my input, anyway. I'm sure everyone has a slightly different taste when it comes to stuff like this.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Thanks for the useful feedback, sir. My initial aim was to go for a single-sided sheet, to see if it was possible, and the first layout was just to get things broken down, so your input is useful for how to organize it further. I did foresee more organizing/compartmentalizing, and much work needs to be done on the spacing, but that's a finesse step, and this is still in rough layout.

I'm also still planning that it should have a bit of that pre-1st Edition clunkyness, where people didn't know quite how best to organize a character sheet for actual use, as seen in the 3e sheet I previously posted here in the forums. And if this gets to a finished version (and I hope it does), it'll be 'aged' and 'abused' like that sheet was...

Should I assume power cards are universal???

And I'll confess to a definite vagueness as to how magic items work in 4th Edition, what with milestones and Daily features and all....

Return to “Everything Else”