First game session!

A forum to discuss the Eldritch Role-Playing System.

Moderators: finarvyn, dancross

StormPatriarch
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: First game session!

Post by StormPatriarch »

dancross wrote:
StormPatriarch wrote: I can't say much on this because my party has not advanced to 2nd lvl yet but I would suggest that allowing mastery early on is not a great idea unless supported by character background and/or current training facilities. In other words, a character raised at a swordsman training facility would be more likely to have mastery at a low lvl while another would not. Likewise a character that is in a small town will probably not find a swordsman capable of training mastery in their specific weapon.
The mastery bonuses printed were +5, +10, +15, or +20 to the Weaponry DP depending on the weapon. Lower them to +2, +4, +6, and +8.
I like the lvl they are at for higher lvl PCs. Maybe a sliding scale would be better based on Mastery die type?

d4 = +1, +3, +5, +7
d6 = +2, +4, +6, +8
d8 = +3, +5, +7, +9
or something.... I don't know...I just def agree that the mastery bonus as is should not be available to a low lvl PC.
"I am the soul of honor, kindness, mercy, and goodness. Trust me in all things." Corwin to Dara, The Guns of Avalon

"...I was the lesser evil." --Bleys to Corwin, Nine Princes in Amber
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

dancross wrote:The mastery bonuses printed were +5, +10, +15, or +20 to the Weaponry DP depending on the weapon. Lower them to +2, +4, +6, and +8.
Is this "official"?
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

dunbruha wrote:
dancross wrote:The mastery bonuses printed were +5, +10, +15, or +20 to the Weaponry DP depending on the weapon. Lower them to +2, +4, +6, and +8.
Is this "official"?
No, not yet, just a suggestion to try this and see if it makes a difference in your game. We don't want PCs to be too tough, right? I never heard any negative feedback from my playtest groups on this, but based on what you're telling me, this might be worth a shot.

What Stormpatriarch was saying might be an interesting idea too (increase the bonus with the increase in die-rank).
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

dancross wrote:No, not yet, just a suggestion to try this and see if it makes a difference in your game. We don't want PCs to be too tough, right? I never heard any negative feedback from my playtest groups on this, but based on what you're telling me, this might be worth a shot.

What Stormpatriarch was saying might be an interesting idea too (increase the bonus with the increase in die-rank).
Well, maybe it works better at higher levels, but so far, not one point of Toughness has been lost by any PC over 2 game sessions at 1-2 level.
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

dunbruha wrote:
dancross wrote:No, not yet, just a suggestion to try this and see if it makes a difference in your game. We don't want PCs to be too tough, right? I never heard any negative feedback from my playtest groups on this, but based on what you're telling me, this might be worth a shot.

Well, maybe it works better at higher levels, but so far, not one point of Toughness has been lost by any PC over 2 game sessions at 1-2 level.
What sort of foes are they facing? I know they battled trolls in one case.
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

dancross wrote:What sort of foes are they facing? I know they battled trolls in one case.
The first two sessions were with the pre-gen characters (5th level +). They fought a troll, and the undead ranger-thing, and the big bad sorceror. No Toughness damage taken by any PC.

The next two sessions are 1st level PCs, and they have fought a homunculus (a convert from C&C: 20 hp, D3 damage + D6 poison). The homunculus was attacking a Psychogenist, and she had a bunch of Resilience, so no harm was done to her. The next day they fought 10 goblins (also C&C converts: 6hp, D6 damage). Two fighter-type PCs took on all 10 (one of them had the 32 points in Weaponry). So far, no Toughness damage for any character...

[EDIT: I just realized that I forgot to account for armor on the goblins! That definitely will make them tougher!]

Return to “Eldritch Role-Playing System”