Difference between a bolt and a stream

A forum to discuss the Eldritch Role-Playing System.

Moderators: finarvyn, dancross

dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Difference between a bolt and a stream

Post by dunbruha »

I'm not sure of the difference. They seem the same to me. Anyone care to explain?
StormPatriarch
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Difference between a bolt and a stream

Post by StormPatriarch »

dunbruha wrote:I'm not sure of the difference. They seem the same to me. Anyone care to explain?
Bolt would be like an arrow(Couple feet in length or so). Stream would be like Ghostbusters proton pack stream...
"I am the soul of honor, kindness, mercy, and goodness. Trust me in all things." Corwin to Dara, The Guns of Avalon

"...I was the lesser evil." --Bleys to Corwin, Nine Princes in Amber
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

StormPatriarch wrote:
dunbruha wrote:I'm not sure of the difference. They seem the same to me. Anyone care to explain?
Bolt would be like an arrow(Couple feet in length or so). Stream would be like Ghostbusters proton pack stream...
But they both have the same range (MRV x 2). One is just thicker than the other? Is there any difference in game mechanics?
StormPatriarch
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by StormPatriarch »

dunbruha wrote:
StormPatriarch wrote:
But they both have the same range (MRV x 2). One is just thicker than the other? Is there any difference in game mechanics?
Not really that I can tell but it could potentially hurt more targets than a bolt could.... Stream could be sprayed back and forth while a bolt would be single target only? Mechanics wise I would say use that difference and use the stream as a area effect like spell or ignore the difference and use it as "Flavor".
"I am the soul of honor, kindness, mercy, and goodness. Trust me in all things." Corwin to Dara, The Guns of Avalon

"...I was the lesser evil." --Bleys to Corwin, Nine Princes in Amber
EvilCat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by EvilCat »

I encountered same question when designing the unicorns - most of them had "beam of light" (thin), but the red unicorn had "fire splash" (wide). I houseruled that beam is instant and allows only Evade defense (just like you can dodge a bullet if you quickly shift just prior to the shot, ruining aim) and wide steam is like dragon breath, allowing only Dodge defense (you can can run from it, but quick shifts are useless).
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

dunbruha wrote:
StormPatriarch wrote:
A bolt vs. stream is as StormPatriarch said. Because they are both instant spells, they have the same mechanics, but visually they are different. Evilcat's point about dodge versus evade is a good one, provided you allow ADPs against these spells (using the optional rule to allow Harm Effects to bypass Resilience altogether).

Range is MRV of Specialization + Mastery MRV x2.

Return to “Eldritch Role-Playing System”