new lunar monsters - suggestion

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

modus666
Wild-Eyed Zealot

new lunar monsters - suggestion

Post by modus666 »

I had an idea the other day on how to easily create new and interesting lunar monsters for use in the dragonmech setting.

The Pseudonatural template.

I cant remember which monster book its from but the pseudonatural template turns a creature into something from the Far Realm. Based on current monster descriptions of lunar critters, changing some regular creature into a freakish, tentacled horror would allow it to easily fit in with the other lunar creatures. Some of this was also inspired by my viewing of "The Mist", which i highly reccomend as a film, btw.

Some suggestionson altering existing monsters to make them "lunar" by adding the pseudonatural template:

Trolls - Lunar trolls are pale white, thin-limbed creatures more suited for movement on all fours. Similar to other lunar creatures, black veins run in tangles just beneath their skin. A lack of eyes makes them appear blind but they sense their surroundings as well as any other creature. Their faces are round, with an obscenely wide hinged mouth filled with multiple rows of razor sharp fangs, givent their heads and almost 'flip-top' appearance. Spikey, thorn-like hair sweeps back from their foreheads and ends halfway down their back. When hunting or feeding, spiked tendrils snake forth from their mouths, helping to pull and tear at their meaty prey.

Dire Bats - Lunar bats lack the dense fur of their terrestrial counterparts, instead sporting a tough, pale leathery hide. They posess four wings rather than two, making their in-flight movements appear haphazard, though they have no difficulty homing in on medium-sized or smaller prey. Lunar bat's faces are longer, more muzzled than other bats, and they lack feet at all, instead posessing a small tangle of tentacles at the end of their bodies which they use to clasp onto their perches and hang while resting. Like terrestrial bats they live in colonies, but on our planet are more likeyly to be active during the day, when the winds and dust of the lunar rain are less of an imediment to flight.

Just a couple of suggestions...
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: new lunar monsters - suggestion

Post by mythfish »

I'm not familiar with the pseudonatural template, but there is the lunar-cursed template in Rumors & Lies. It basically gives any terrestrial animal the Lunar(Ex) special ability, changes its appearance, and +1 CR.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
modus666
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by modus666 »

appears i hadnt read that one. the idea i was goign for was to flesh out the lunar ecology a bit, bring in some "native" creatures
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

The pseudonatural template appeared first in Tome and Blood (remember the B&W supplements for D&D v3.0?) and reappeared in (I think) Complete Arcane. I've used the pseudonatural template in my home DragonMech game, but not for lunar creatures. I added a Cthulhu-type artifact in one story which was a relic from an aboleth society eons ago. But yeah, if you want to say that the lunar powers are, essentially, minions of Lovecraft's Great Old Ones, the template would be a good match. But giving a lunar dragon the true strike ability....? Ouch. That's a nasty thought.

--Ken
DCC, DragonMech, Etherscope editor
Writer: "Madness at the Mutilated Oak," DCC #48: The Adventure Continues;
DCC #52: Chronicle of the Fiend

"It really is the height of pessimism to have a hat lined with chain mail." --Mrs. Peel
modus666
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by modus666 »

well the idea was not to apply it to existing lunar monsters, but to apply the template to other, perhaps more normal, creatures to make them more "lunar"
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

Got it. So you mean how would, say, a lunar umber hulk differ from a "standard"/Highpoint umber hulk? Yes, the pseudonatural template would be an easy, fast answer, and would certain make creatures look more "alien" and would pose an unpleasant surprise for jaded players.
DCC, DragonMech, Etherscope editor
Writer: "Madness at the Mutilated Oak," DCC #48: The Adventure Continues;
DCC #52: Chronicle of the Fiend

"It really is the height of pessimism to have a hat lined with chain mail." --Mrs. Peel
Seben-PistonRager
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Seben-PistonRager »

Oh... here's an idea of some nasty things to throw th template on for a dragon mech game.

Bullette
rust monster
badger
Roc
Gnome
I've got a bionic ear!

But, there is no mechanic to support it!

Return to “DragonMech”