Dragonmech Battles Proxies

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

cssmythe3
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Dragonmech Battles Proxies

Post by cssmythe3 »

A billion years ago I was running a dragonmech campaign 3000 miles from where I know live (one of those numbers is exaggerated).

I was in the processes of developing a rip-off ruleset of the generic DND minis to be applied to dragonmech. I had assembled a bunch mageknight minis to use as proxies. Here is an example of a whole bunch of very dragonmechy figures for way cheap:

http://store.gamingetcstore.com/mage-kn ... 49-99.html

One of the more interesting things I noticed is that while a single normal ork is completely powerless over a mech, you take a pack of 20 of them, all with ropes and grapples, have 19 of them 'aide another', and the leader of the pack has a pretty good bonus to his roll to take the mech down. I introduced squads of 5 men (or orks) as an element to the rules and worked in 'aide another' roles into the squad's overall chance of pulling down a mech.

I even had 6mm scale ork stands from a box of 'epic scale 40k'.

Another thing I noticed is that while an individual steam rifleman had no chance of taking a mech down, if 20 of them are all sniping at the pilot, 1 of them is probably going to get that natural 20 and hit. I attempted to run some statistics and work this into the '5 dwarf steamrifle squad' unit stats.

I completely failed to come up with a simple, satisfying way to handle board actions, so I'm very happy to see that's being addressed.

I'll dig around through my old files and see if I can find my notes and post 'em or send to the 'dragonmech battles' guys.
-Chuck Smith
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Cool. Good to see you around these parts again!
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
walrusjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Dragonmech Battles Proxies

Post by walrusjester »

cssmythe3 wrote:One of the more interesting things I noticed is that while a single normal ork is completely powerless over a mech, you take a pack of 20 of them, all with ropes and grapples, have 19 of them 'aide another', and the leader of the pack has a pretty good bonus to his roll to take the mech down. I introduced squads of 5 men (or orks) as an element to the rules and worked in 'aide another' roles into the squad's overall chance of pulling down a mech.
We're working on a similar idea, where large groups of characters give each other a bonus to success on anti-mech actions. It's fun if squads of soldiers can have an impact on combat - swarming mechs, boarding them, even working together to trip them.

It's also fun when the mech tramples them to paste.
DragonMech line developer, freelance writer, tall guy named Matt.
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

One of the more interesting things I noticed is that while a single normal ork is completely powerless over a mech, you take a pack of 20 of them, all with ropes and grapples, have 19 of them 'aide another', and the leader of the pack has a pretty good bonus to his roll to take the mech down. I introduced squads of 5 men (or orks) as an element to the rules and worked in 'aide another' roles into the squad's overall chance of pulling down a mech.
Thats why the the gods gave us gargantuan steambreathers. :wink:

Return to “DragonMech”