DCC2: Any ideas for counters for alter/candlesticks? (spoile

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

stripes
Far-Sighted Wanderer

DCC2: Any ideas for counters for alter/candlesticks? (spoile

Post by stripes »

In 3-2 there are living candle holders (5x5) and an alter (5x10) formed from living critters.

Any ideas on what I can use for counters or cardboard standees? I found some nice mushroom ones for the boats by using google images search (similar for the dolls). I haven't found anything useful with that trick. (I know "use candy corn for the candle holders, and an almond joy for the altar!", I'll do it if I have to, but...)

Does anyone have any ideas about what to use? Oh, and any ideas about what to use for Tsathzar Rho himself?
WallyTWest
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by WallyTWest »

The BEST thing I ever did for combat in AD&D was pull out some old boardgames. (And new tiles.)

Heroquest, Dragonstrike, Darkworld, D&D Dungeon Tiles (many packs), and Mageknight Dungeons. (Someone in your gaming group should have a copy of heroquest or some mageknight.)

Heroquest has a fine evil altar, The D&D tiles are a steal at 10$ a pack and can be used to make your rooms. The doors from Heroquest look great with the tiles and cigirates on penies would make fine candle sticks! (Reaper sells some model ones).

Hot Tip--> Blutak is recremended to hold everything down and in place when you play.

Good Hunting! (for PCs)
stripes
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by stripes »

Oh! Sweet! My wife has Hero Quest. I think she lovingly hand painted the altar. It won't really be "an alter of living kobold flesh", but it sure does look evil.

Very nice idea, thanks.

I think I found candles (in a um, maybe White Wolf's Counter Collection), they were in under "constructs". Or maybe that was a mimic. Close 'nuf.
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Yeah! Hero Quest has some good stand-ins for dungeon layouts:

Click here to see a ton of good visuals on the game. :)
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
Shambleau
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Shambleau »

Wow, just seeing this pic has put a big smile on my face, this game was great!
WallyTWest
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by WallyTWest »

The Best Game Ever.

You can pick up a copy on ebay for nothing (20$ if you are patient).

In the dorms I had several new players in my group, the first thing I did was play through 4 missions of HQ. It works wonders with teaching the dungeon crawl "mojo." I had new players making maps, checking for traps and geting tactical in combat in a way that made the "vets" in the group look like newbs who taged along for the ride.

So abslutely recremended. It can bring that bit of dungeon wonder back into a vet group like nothing else.

Another selling point is that it is D&D in a box. Everyone is tired and grouchy? S#rew it, call for pizza - put on some pink floyd - pull out heroquest. Draw straws for the GM and relax, no.. chillax.

Here is some retro goodness.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZXuoNO5UUE
stripes
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by stripes »

I hate you all (in a good way).

Now my wife has discovered that her complete Hero Quest collection is incomplete as there were 2 USA only releases. Which can be found on Ebay. For over $300 each. :shock:

Does anyone out there want to buy a house in CA (she's a Realtor, and it makes sense to get her to fun her own Hero Quest addiction...) :)
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

stripes wrote:I hate you all (in a good way).

Now my wife has discovered that her complete Hero Quest collection is incomplete as there were 2 USA only releases. Which can be found on Ebay. For over $300 each. :shock:

Does anyone out there want to buy a house in CA (she's a Realtor, and it makes sense to get her to fun her own Hero Quest addiction...) :)
I'm in CA and would seriously consider buying a house or two for $300 each.

...is that not what you meant?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
WallyTWest
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by WallyTWest »

WAIT! DONT BUY IT!

An opinion on those, they su<k. Those US expansions, unlike the base 3 (or 5 in britian), where dog awfull and complicated. Download them for free, scans are avaiable online and the aditional miniatures required for bolth can be "Created" by buying a dragonstrike box. Plus they dont really count, they came out sometime latter and had a very limited release. (Post GW's involvment)

On the flipside anyone out there end up pulling out the Old Heroquest at a game night? I did last sunday and had a great time playing the first mission. (I won) Scatered and killed the PC's, good laughs. Had pizza delivered. Great break from wargaming.

Im thinking one thing I love about DCC mods is how much the two have in common. I feel like, although they are geting better at it, the 10 foot pole of D&D is missing in alot of their product. Perhaps this group of kids deserves to play a cupple pages from DCC1?

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”