Hello from a newbie

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

frank5471uk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Hello from a newbie

Post by frank5471uk »

Hi all, new forum member here (from the UK).

I initially stumbled across Goodmans Games DCC line a couple of years ago when I bought a cheap copy of Aerie of the Crow God (I was captivated by the "remember the good old days" byeline). Unfortunately, I let it sit on my bookshelf for a long time before even reading it. However, a couple of months ago I picked up a copy of Saga of the Dragon Cult and devoured all 4 adventures plus the linking booklet. What a great marketing ploy ! $20 and I was hooked.

I am now the proud owner of DCCs 1, 2, 5, 6, 10, 11, 17, 21, 29, 33, and 35 and I am just about to unleash the world of Aereth upon my gaming group of the past 25 years. I can't wait.

One thing that would help me though would be some A4 versions of the maps of Aereth. Does such a thing exist anywhere ? The maps supplied with DCC 35 are a thing of wonder, but they are a little on the large side. I would like to have something a little smaller that can easily be handed round a gaming table for reference (a bit like the map at the back of the Saga of the Dragon Cult booklet, but covering more of the world). I am going to start my campaign in the Empire of Crieste, so if there is an A4 version of that, that would be a good start, although I would love an A4 version of the whole of the Northlands as well.

Anyway, thanks for listening. I suspect you'll be hearing a lot from me over the next few months (although I only get to game every three months, it is for 3 days solid at a time).

Frank

P.S. The great thing about the DCC line is that I suspect (not 100% sure yet) that my gaming group and I will stick with 3.5 ed for some time yet. The DCC line will ensure that we never run out of adventures, even if Joseph decides to switch to 4th ed as early as mid 2008.
Last edited by frank5471uk on Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Howdy Frank.

I can't answer your question about the maps, but I wanted to say "welcome aboard."
ragnar1965
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by ragnar1965 »

Hi Frank!

Welcome to the boards. I'm sorry, but I can't answer your question either. I believe you can find some of the maps on the site in different places in JPEG and PDF formats. Maybe you could get your hands on a Adobe program to allow you to alter them a bit. You also might send a shout out to Eryx or some of the other international members here and find out what they've done. If I remember right, A4 is just a tad bit narrower and longer than our standard size paper here in the states. Hope somebody is able to help you.
Forgiveness is between you and your maker. I'm just responsible for the meeting.
frank5471uk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by frank5471uk »

ragnar1965 wrote:Hi Frank!

Welcome to the boards. I'm sorry, but I can't answer your question either. I believe you can find some of the maps on the site in different places in JPEG and PDF formats. Maybe you could get your hands on a Adobe program to allow you to alter them a bit. You also might send a shout out to Eryx or some of the other international members here and find out what they've done. If I remember right, A4 is just a tad bit narrower and longer than our standard size paper here in the states. Hope somebody is able to help you.
ragnar1965 (and all my new US friends)

Sorry for the use of arcane UK paper sizes. A4 is (obviously!!!) 11.7 inches by 8.3 inches. It's close enough to US Letter size for me. Anything around that size would be great.

Frank

P.S. Thanks for the friendly welcomes
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

I'm not aware of anything being done like your asking. It would be handy, though.

Welcome to the fun of Goodman Games and their DCC's.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
Eryx
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Eryx »

Welcome! :D
---

Staunch anti-4E. Nuff said.
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

That would be nice to have smaller maps. The maps that come with the box set are beautiful. I just want more of them altogether. 3x5 or 8.5x11 or 4x6.
Hi, Frank. :D
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Frank,

Thanks for the kind words and for the suggestion with the maps. I'm glad Saga played out well for you.

Right now printing the pdfs might be your best option. My image-fu is pretty worthless (as Jeremy Simmons, our cartographer, will attest) but I'm sure it can be done.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
frank5471uk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by frank5471uk »

Harley Stroh wrote:Frank,

Thanks for the kind words and for the suggestion with the maps. I'm glad Saga played out well for you.

Right now printing the pdfs might be your best option. My image-fu is pretty worthless (as Jeremy Simmons, our cartographer, will attest) but I'm sure it can be done.

//H
Harley

Gosh, all the bigwigs hang out round here don't they (I just got a lovely welcome e-mail from Joseph as well) ?

My IT skills are poor compared to your average 13 year old (I know because I have a son who is that age) but I think I'll go down the route of scanning sections of the maps and using those. If I can can do it right, I should be able to laminate a couple for regular use as the great Aereth based campaign kicks off.

GG might want to consider the size issues on the maps in printed versions though. It seems a common desire on these boards.

I have loved the modules of yours I have read and think the gazeteer is the best thing you have ever put out at GG. Of course, I haven't seen Castle Whiterock yet, but I'll have to wait for Xmas day for that.

At my game rate, I wonder how old I'll be before I finish all of the 3.5 based DCCs ?

Frank
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

frank5471uk wrote:At my game rate, I wonder how old I'll be before I finish all of the 3.5 based DCCs ?

Frank
Finish them? Do you mean successfully? ... could take awhile. My very firstest DCC was #29 The Adventure Begins and I still havn't done all the ones in there. My first one was the one with the Half-Dragon Ogre and we all ran away and never went back to that island. :lol:

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”