Question about DCC #43

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Chuul Killer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Question about DCC #43

Post by Chuul Killer »

I've searched the net for reviews on this one (#43 Curse of the Barrens) and am coming up notta, anybody read this one? Good, bad, ugly? Any help would be great, thanks! :)
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

This module is a fine adventure. It isn't set in one location, which I think is a plus. The characters have to travel to several different places all the while attempting to uncover the mystery. Since the outdoors isn't overlooked rangers and even druids can really shine.

The author seems to draw from pagan Germanic or Scandinavian cultures to give this module a unique feel. As it involves the cold north, you could use this DCC as a springboard for a "northern" campaign. Goodman Games has several other modules that are set in the frozen North:

#36, #12, #12.5, #25, and #30.

In my opinion, The Curse of the Barrens is well worth the $10.99 cover price.
gargoyle
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by gargoyle »

There are definitely Scandinavian influences in the vulgar fey creatures in the module...

I also wanted to do some work with Aboriginal North American Indian culture - a historic people that are pretty neglected in D&D... also that helped me to make a DCC module that does have a role for the ranger and druid - as well as a way to expand that role if the DM would like or you can jump to the dungeon crawls as you see fit!

Thanks for the kind words!
Greg Oppedisano
Author: The Great City Campaign setting, PC Pearls, Sidetrek Adventure Weekly, GM Gems, DCC 48, DCC 49, DCC 43, DCC 32, DCC 29...
Contact info and bibliography in the WereCabbage patch: http://www.werecabbages.com/members.php?id=22
Chuul Killer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Chuul Killer »

Vulgar fey interest me, you guys mention several different locations are they all outdoors? Also what types of creatures are there besides the mentioned fey types and my final question (for now) how adaptable is this module to C&C? I'm thinking this could be a fun theme if the adventure takes place mostly outdoors, for C&C it would give an excuse for an outdoors type party of players (druid, barbarian, ranger).
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

I don't have the module in front of me so I can't reply to what monsters lurk about in this DCC.

However, this module will work well with C&C. That's my game of choice and I'd run this. You'll want to read over it about two times with an eye on any alterations that you see need done. Especially pay attention to spell casters.
gargoyle
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by gargoyle »

Chuul Killer wrote:Vulgar fey interest me, you guys mention several different locations are they all outdoors? Also what types of creatures are there besides the mentioned fey types and my final question (for now) how adaptable is this module to C&C? I'm thinking this could be a fun theme if the adventure takes place mostly outdoors, for C&C it would give an excuse for an outdoors type party of players (druid, barbarian, ranger).
SPOILERS ALERT - PCs YOU KNOW REED!

The module has opportunity for outdoors travel (it is optional), there are several encounters around a fort and a village and then the action continues in a dungeon formed out of glacial caverns.

The main baddies are two new evil fey creatures but there are also a few undead, some human villains, there are very deadly traps and hidden chambers and the environment itself is very challenging in a tactical sense... oh and a baby remmoraz....
Greg Oppedisano
Author: The Great City Campaign setting, PC Pearls, Sidetrek Adventure Weekly, GM Gems, DCC 48, DCC 49, DCC 43, DCC 32, DCC 29...
Contact info and bibliography in the WereCabbage patch: http://www.werecabbages.com/members.php?id=22

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”