Writer Q & A - Jay Little

A forum for discussing how to design adventure modules. This will provide a place to follow up on conversations at our Gen Con seminar on adventure writing.

Moderator: finarvyn

ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Writer Q & A - Jay Little

Post by ynnen »

Greetings, all.

In addition to answering questions on the individual Goodman Games forums, Joseph was kind enough to create this Adventure Design forum for aspiring writers and GG regulars to talk about Adventure Design and writing.

I hope the other writers will follow suit and open up a thread dedicated to their games, products and ideas.

I've been writing for Goodman Games for several years now. In addition to a few items I've got on the back burner, or projects in the development queue, I've been fortunate to be involved with writing, playtesting or contributing to the following Goodman Games products:

Dungeon Crawl Classics:
Crypt of the Devil Lich (GenCon 2004 Tourney Module)
Dungeon Interludes
The Mask of Death
The Adventure Begins
Vault of the Dragon Kings (GenCon 2005 Tourney Module)
The Adventure Continues
The Palace in the Wastes (GenCon 2006 Tourney Module)
Chronicle of the Fiend (GenCon 2007 Tourney Module)

d20 Strategy Guides
Power Gamer's 3.5 Wizard Strategy Guide

Xcrawl
DungeonBattle Brooklyn
PhoenixCrawl Open (GenCon 2007 Tourney Module)

I'd love to discuss any specific questions folks have about my adventures, writing style, design choices, challenges or the like. Thanks!
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

This is fun --- an excuse to get to know fellow writers. :)

So if you had to pick one work you are most proud of (DCC or otherwise), which would it be and why?

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

That varies based on the time of day. :wink:

I'm extremely proud of Vault of the Dragon Kings. I set out to create a grueling, memorable module with a lot of cool background information on an alternate "creation myth" based on dragonkind that GMs could use to weave into their campaign if they wished. I'm very pleased with the response I've gotten from players who faced the challenges therein.

I also really like how Dungeon Interludes worked together, creating an overarching storyline that can be seeded into a campaign with a series of one-shots. I've gotten a lot of compliments from GMs who sprinkled these scenarios into their ongoing games and really enjoyed how players responded once they started to see how different plot threads started to work together.

But I probably had the most fun writing Mask of Death. I'm a big fan of the Gamers movie, so getting access to the Gamers 2 script beforehand to read, and to write a module based on the actual movie was very, very cool. I also think I did a pretty good job of creating an adventure faithful to the Gamers genre/motif/idiom with plenty of humor, but still based around a solid module for players and GM alike.
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open

Return to “Adventure Design”