Question about recovering missile weapon ammunition

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

marksolino
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: D6 Games in Rochester, MN

Question about recovering missile weapon ammunition

Post by marksolino »

On page 96 of the core rulebook, it says “Characters can recover missile weapons that miss...There is a 50% chance that recovered...weapons are destroyed; otherwise, they can be reused.” Does this mean that if a character missed 4 bow shots, the player rolls for each of the 4 missed arrows to see if each was destroyed or not? Or do they roll once, and if successful they can retrieve all 4? I would think the former, but I was wondering how others would interpret the rule and if there was a majority consensus either way (or even alternate interpretations). Thanks in advance.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Question about recovering missile weapon ammunition

Post by GnomeBoy »

I'd imagine most folks would either roll for each miss, or just do the math that "half" of them are still good.

That half is in quotes, since I also imagine that odd numbers are met with a fixed way to round them.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

At our game they roll on which 50% of the arrow survived, the arrowhead or the fletching.
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Post by BanjoJohn »

Any way you want to do it, that's how DCC rolls!

Personally, I see ranged weapons as having a lot of advantages in movement and target placement, especially in open ground, so I'd probably just make all the arrows break whether they hit or miss. But if people wanted to recover arrows I'd probably roll a percentile, below 50 I would pick some number below half the arrows to recover, above 50 I'd pick a number above half the arrows to recover, and then I'd let people recover arrow heads from all the broken arrows.
jblittlefield
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Cape Fear Gaming

Post by jblittlefield »

I just let them spend the time to recover 50% (round odd numbers in PCs favor) of the misses. No die roll required.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

jblittlefield wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:05 am I just let them spend the time to recover 50% (round odd numbers in PCs favor) of the misses. No die roll required.
Same.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “Rules discussion”