DCC CON

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Ozerulz
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Gamers Haven

DCC CON

Post by Ozerulz »

Has there ever been a CON devoted to just DCC?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: DCC CON

Post by GnomeBoy »

So far, just the fans that are devoted.

Where do you imagine such a thing being set? Maybe the city of the birthplace of some Appendix N author or other, maybe?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Ozerulz
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Ozerulz »

I just thought a convention devoted only to DCC would be cool.
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

Sometimes we just call it GenCon.

Serioulsy, there's so much DCC in a single room now, I often don't even see other parts of that convention.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

...And if you did wander off, there's the Gong to bring you back home!
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Gizrond
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Gizrond »

GnomeBoy wrote:So far, just the fans that are devoted.

Where do you imagine such a thing being set? Maybe the city of the birthplace of some Appendix N author or other, maybe?

If they held an all-DCC convention in Cross Plains, Texas, I would attend every year.
Ozerulz
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Ozerulz »

My apologies I’ve never been to a CON just wondered if DCC ever did ones featuring just themselves.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Ozerulz wrote:My apologies I’ve never been to a CON just wondered if DCC ever did ones featuring just themselves.
It's never happened so far, but they do have a presence at many conventions around the US and even the UK one or twice! Plus there are people attending cons all over that run GG games for other attendees...

Turelus
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Turelus »

GnomeBoy wrote:
Ozerulz wrote:My apologies I’ve never been to a CON just wondered if DCC ever did ones featuring just themselves.
It's never happened so far, but they do have a presence at many conventions around the US and even the UK one or twice! Plus there are people attending cons all over that run GG games for other attendees...
Do you know how much they have at the UK cons? I've been to UK Games Expo the last couple of years and never noticed an official Goodman Games or DCC stall. Not sure if that's been my lack of attention or just they've not been active.

I know they're there this year but they have a small stall in the second hall, so will be interested to see who and what they're bringing over.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Turelus wrote:I know they're there this year but they have a small stall in the second hall, so will be interested to see who and what they're bringing over.
I'm not familiar with any of the details of the UKGE, but I know that GG can pack a lot of product into a "small stall". This might be their first year there, so there may be a lot of "up in the air" elements until on the day, owing to the more complicated logistics of showing up from across the Atlantic. I couldn't find any specific info on the website for GG nor for UKGE.

thogard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by thogard »

Gizrond wrote: If they held an all-DCC convention in Cross Plains, Texas, I would attend every year.
The smallish North Texas RPG Con is in DFW every year (first Thursday-Sunday in June). There's usually good DCC representation -- I can fill up my schedule pretty easily, and I've gotten to play with some awesome DCC judges, artists, and writers. Also D&D, AD&D, B/X, S&W, AS&SH, MA, etc.
It'd be a bit of a drive for you, though.
Turelus
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Turelus »

I'll be heading to their stall at UKGE for sure so I'll let people know how it is. I believe they're running some games as well but I generally only go to one day of UKGE and that's just for shopping.

On another note as this thread seems like the best place to speak about it.
I've been listening to Spellburn and I'm not caught up fully yet, but numerous times the Judges have mentioned after hours DCC meet-ups at GenCon dubbed "DougCon". Does anyone know if these still happen?
The episodes I am listening to are from 2014/15 but I will be lucky enough to get to GenCon this year so if these still happen would love to swing by and have the experience as I may not get another chance.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Turelus wrote:Does anyone know if these still happen?
In the lounge area of the Embassy Suites there should definitely be "DougCon" happening this year. It's just folks running games off-books. Ask at the booth to confirm place and time. But DougCon is all pretty loose and freewheeling, though, so even at the booth not everyone may be dialed into that info...

Doug organizes multiple tables and Judges who are basically running parallel games -- last year it was Escape from Planet Punjar, where each table had a group of people trying to escape the planet before another planet crashed into it. Stuff would happen that 'blanketed' all the tables, and sometimes people would move from one table to the other, because of in-game stuff. My group died out pretty quickly, but it was fun nonetheless.

There are also a few other games happening in that space that aren't part of Doug's mega-game, too.

Turelus
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Turelus »

Thanks GnomeBoy, I actually don't have any events booked past 8PM currently so will ask at the booth and swing by with my travelling companions to meet some of the band.
Nutmidas
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Comics & Collectibles

Post by Nutmidas »

Are you (Goodman) ever active at any Cons in the SF Bay Area? Pacificon perhaps? BigBadCon? Or anywhere between LA and Portland for that matter?

That being said, a "GoodCon" would be a great idea!
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Nutmidas wrote:Are you (Goodman) ever active at any Cons in the SF Bay Area? Pacificon perhaps? BigBadCon? Or anywhere between LA and Portland for that matter?

That being said, a "GoodCon" would be a great idea!
Since I happen to be the West Coast convention rep, I can say...

The next West Coast conventions will be RageCon in Reno, DragonFlight in Seattle, and then Gateway in LA. That might be it for this part of the country for this year. We didn't make it into BIgBad this year for space reasons, but if you mention to the organizers you'd like to see us there, it might help us out for next year.

Next year, we're angling to add the mighty DunDraCon to the roster, we'll be at GameStorm in Portland, and May may see us at KublaCon, and so on...

You can check this page from the "Resources" link on the website to find GG appearances: http://goodman-games.com/blog/2019/01/0 ... -schedule/

Nutmidas
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Comics & Collectibles

Post by Nutmidas »

Appreciate the response and the link! KublaCon and DunDraCon are in my "reasonable distance" range. I'm looking forward to seeing you on your own turf. Thanks.
ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

Nutmidas wrote:Are you (Goodman) ever active at any Cons in the SF Bay Area? Pacificon perhaps? BigBadCon? Or anywhere between LA and Portland for that matter?
So there are several DCC advocates that live in the Bay Area: Stephen Newton (me), Terry Olson, Steven Bean, Thom Hall, etc. I know Terry and Thom have run things at BigBadCon. In 2021 DunDraCon will be moving to Santa Clara so I'll start attending that then. I occasionally make it to PacificCon (although this year is iffy...). And finally: both Terry and myself frequently (about 4 times per year) run playtests at Game Kastle Santa Clara, and sometimes Game Kastle Fremont. So if you'd like to get in on any of those, just shoot me a personal message with your email and I'll put you on The List Of People We Reach Out To At Playtest Time.

Hope that helps!
Vort
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Shoebox Games / Eastridge Sports

Post by Vort »

Hi all, new member here, recently started running DCC in Calgary, Canada. I'm now thinking of attending a Con next year specifically for DCC/Goodman. GenCon of course sounds prime, but it also sounds overwhelming; GaryCon sounds more my size. As there's no DCC-Con, any recommendations on which is best for the full DCC experience (doesn't have to be limited to just those two)?
Trevor / Road Crew (Calgary)
---
Shaky, Gambler, N, AC 10, hp 1, S12 A9 S5-2 P9 I9 L9, r+0, f-2, w+0, club +0 (1d4)
Shifty, Smuggler, C, AC 11, hp 1, S9 A15+1 S5-2 P13+1 I8-1 L8-1, r+1, f-2, w+1, init+1, attack rolls -1, sling +0 (1d4)
The Illuminating Anhk, Elven Artisan, L, AC 10, hp 3, S11 A9 S9 P13+1 I10 L15+1, r+0, f+0, w+1, fumbles +1, staff +0 (1d4)
KIA Bailey Bramford, Beadle, L, AC 11, hp 1, S13+1 A13+1 S12 P5-2 I13+1 L11, r+1, f+0, w-2, init +1, staff +1 (1d4+1)
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

GnomeBoy wrote:Where do you imagine such a thing being set? Maybe the city of the birthplace of some Appendix N author or other, maybe?
I've considered doing this very thing at Loveland Castle in Cincinnati. I eventually decided it would be too expensive, and the castle isn't really a great setup for gaming.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]

Return to “DCC RPG General”