Rat-Snake Dice Game Question

Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar setting, home to the legendary Fafhrd and Gray Mouser, is the first officially licensed setting for the DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Minlok
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Madness Comics & Games

Rat-Snake Dice Game Question

Post by Minlok »

I am in the midst of Lankhmar campaign and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I really want to play some Rat-Snake. I'm kicking myself for missing the Kickstarter and the opportunity to purchase the rat-snake dice before they sold out.

Does anyone know if Goodman Games is going to get another shipment of the dice game to sell?

If not, are the rules posted anywhere that I could just use regular 6 sided dice? I have already downloaded the super cool mat by Doug Kovacs.

I would rather purchase the official dice if they plan to sell them again.

Thanks in advance.
Minlok
evavy
Gongfarmer
FLGS: l'oeuf cube

Rat-Snake rules question

Post by evavy »

Hello,

If I understood well the rules : when we lose coins (with rats and pips or check the silo) to continue to play, the silo is always refilled to 6.
If so, it contains always 6 or more coins.
I don't understand how a result of rat and pips (-2 to -5) can empty the silo.
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Rat-Snake rules question

Post by michaelcurtis »

evavy wrote:Hello,

If I understood well the rules : when we lose coins (with rats and pips or check the silo) to continue to play, the silo is always refilled to 6.
If so, it contains always 6 or more coins.
I don't understand how a result of rat and pips (-2 to -5) can empty the silo.
If the result was one rat with a number of pips on the second die, the thrower loses a number of coins equal to the number of pips on the second die from his silo.
You're correct. It's unlikely that a thrower would end up with an empty silo on rats and pips--but it was left a possibility to cover house rules and other unforeseen circumstances that might cause that to happen.
If the result was two dice with pips on both faces, the thrower must immediately roll again...If the result is less than the thrower’s initial roll, the player loses a number of coins equal to the first throw (not to exceed his silo).
So say I throw a "9" with a 4 and a 5 on my initial roll. I have to check the silo, so I roll again and get 3 and 4 for a total of "7." This is less than my original throw so I'd lose 9 coins if my silo had them. If I had just refilled my silo prior to this round, I'd only have six coins and lose them all, emptying my silo.

That make sense?
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Rat-Snake Dice Game Question

Post by michaelcurtis »

Minlok wrote:I am in the midst of Lankhmar campaign and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I really want to play some Rat-Snake. I'm kicking myself for missing the Kickstarter and the opportunity to purchase the rat-snake dice before they sold out.

Does anyone know if Goodman Games is going to get another shipment of the dice game to sell?

If not, are the rules posted anywhere that I could just use regular 6 sided dice? I have already downloaded the super cool mat by Doug Kovacs.

I would rather purchase the official dice if they plan to sell them again.

Thanks in advance.
Minlok
Where are you located, Minlok? I might be able to help you get your hands on a set.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Do you know if there will be Rat-Snake sets available at Gary Con? If so, I would love to obtain one.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Do you know if there will be Rat-Snake sets available at Gary Con? If so, I would love to obtain one.
I don't know for certain, but my guess would be no. It's always possible there's a set or three packed up with the con inventory, but it's not probable.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

michaelcurtis wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:Do you know if there will be Rat-Snake sets available at Gary Con? If so, I would love to obtain one.
I don't know for certain, but my guess would be no. It's always possible there's a set or three packed up with the con inventory, but it's not probable.
Ah, well. Thank you for the response. Remind Joseph Goodman that ALL THINGS LANKHMAR should be on sale for the greedy fans, such as myself.

Speaking of which, I hope your time at the Archive turned up something juicy!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Minlok
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Madness Comics & Games

Post by Minlok »

Thanks Michael! I am in the Dallas TX area. I would love to purchase a set. I found the rules in one of the program guides. I am playing with the mat and some plastic gold / silver coins. Would love the actual dice set to complete the experience for my players.
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

Minlok wrote:Thanks Michael! I am in the Dallas TX area. I would love to purchase a set. I found the rules in one of the program guides. I am playing with the mat and some plastic gold / silver coins. Would love the actual dice set to complete the experience for my players.
I sent you an email, Minlok. Let me know if you didn't receive it. Otherwise, please see email for details.
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
michaelcurtis wrote:
Ah, well. Thank you for the response. Remind Joseph Goodman that ALL THINGS LANKHMAR should be on sale for the greedy fans, such as myself.

Speaking of which, I hope your time at the Archive turned up something juicy!
Good stuff indeed. There should be a KS update about my trip in the near future.
GrendelFriend
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Sun City Games

Post by GrendelFriend »

Late convert to all things DCC, but a long time Fritz Leiber fan. I too would love to get my hands on a copy of Rat Snake. Please Goodman Games, make another run of this accessory! Kickstarter it if you have to!
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

GrendelFriend wrote:Late convert to all things DCC, but a long time Fritz Leiber fan. I too would love to get my hands on a copy of Rat Snake. Please Goodman Games, make another run of this accessory! Kickstarter it if you have to!
You might consider sending an email to info@goodman-games.com and let it be known that you'd like to see Rat-Snake produced again. Have others make their desires know as well. If the fans demand it, it might be done.

Otherwise, I'd keep my eyes on the second-hand markets like eBay or Noble Knight Games to see if a copy turns up, or ask around on either the Google+ or DCC Rocks! Facebook group and see if anyone has a spare set they'd like to sell or trade.

Good luck!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Just to close the loop on this topic, Rat-Snake is available for purchase...

https://goodman-games.com/store/product ... with-dice/
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “DCC Lankhmar”