Charm Person and the Carnifex (spoilers)

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

osu4fan
Ill-Fated Peasant

Charm Person and the Carnifex (spoilers)

Post by osu4fan »

First and obvious point, charm person is extremely powerful and has yet again foiled the 'final' encounter of an adventure of mine, this time Jewels of the Carnifex.

So during the encounter with Azazel one of our wizards charmed 6 of the Swords of the Pious AND Azazel himself. After questioning him for a while they are likely to try and leave the temple or at least rest in the temple. I believe they still might try and seal Carnifex using Azazel but I'm wondering if what happens if Azazel were to be 'taken' out of temple. I figure his bond with the ichor vitae may prevent him from traveling too far from it even while being magically compelled, perhaps it would kill him even thus making him incapable of following any such order.

Some other general questions about this scenario:
1. If the PCs destroy the jewels and give a suitable sacrifice what happens to Azazel and the Pious?
2. How high is Azazels intelligence? I estimated that it would be in the range that would allow him another Will save versus the charm in 3 days (19 result on the spell check)
3. Would Azazel sacrifice one of his Pious or the Justicar to seal the Carnifex and would that even work (after the jewels are destroyed of course)?
osu4fan
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: Charm Person and the Carnifex (spoilers)

Post by osu4fan »

*crickets*
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

1. I would not have let the pious get charmed no matter what the dice said. They are to far gone to come back. They long for death in battle give it to them. At the very least I would make Azazel immune to the charm. He is the end boss and should get to cheat a little. I can't imagine this adventure without the big battle at the end. I would say they turn on the party even if they seal the Carnifex.
2. Yes
3. Yes
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
losloris
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: trig

Post by losloris »

I am planning to run this campaign neexxt weekend, Osu, and have a few needs to make this happen. Is it possible to borrow off of your preparation?

And, to address your point, I would not have allowed the save to work, or perhaps, only on the roll of a 1 and even then it would have works for as many rounds as level of MU.

As to the Carnifex, I find there is an odd juxtaposition in the two forces. Is the theory is that the Carnifex only needs to be released from the sealed room then why did Azezeel and his buddies stick around until madness struck them and only after a call to the gods for help? Or, aid differently, I am not certain what I should do with the Carnifex after she is released (assuming the party is completely successful). What powers would she have and what would be her next few courses of action? Simply flitting away in a cloud of nothingness seems so meaningless.

Also, did you do any redesign to the adventure as far as adding new rooms and/or alley ways? The modules suggests Azezeel and co would look to push the party deeper into the cavern. However, the Pious' attack stems from that direction and I see little need (nay, opportunity) for the Pious to get behind the party for such a push.

Lastly, what type of storyline did you provide for Azezeel, aside from, we have sat here for ages watching this door that is permanently closed in case someone like you, dear party, happen by with any intent of opening it up?

I do like the setting and set up for this module and would like to close those gaping holes between now and game time.

Losloris
losloris
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: trig

Post by losloris »

To address one of the suggestions above, and, a question-ish back to you; if the party is successful in releasing the Carnifex I would like to have her give the party a spot of treasure before she 'escapes'. I'm thinking she gives them a scroll that once read will have an assassination attempt made on one person of the party's choosing.

I am of the first edition and so can see some math about having the party roll percentiles against (like) a 9th level assassin compared to the level of the intended victim.

Interesting?

losloris
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

I like story awards better than heaps of coin. With the Carnifex free and her following reestablishing itself, new factions to deal with and class options for her faithful become possible: assassins, executioners, necromancers, etc
Also, my group never questioned Azazel so they'll never know!

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)

Return to “Judges' Forum”