Patron Spells - Seeking Clarity

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

GGWithrow
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Olympic Cards and Comics

Patron Spells - Seeking Clarity

Post by GGWithrow »

I seem to be confused about precisely how Patron spells work and my scouring of the book offers no help.

Thus, I beseech you!

The book seems to suggest that after bonding with a Patron, the Wizard gains access to whichever of their Patron's spells they are able to cast.

The results area for Patron Bond also states that a result of 32+ (and parallels at lower results) grants the caster two gift spells from among the Patron Spells which can be used in place of casting Invoke Patron.

If the Wizard simply gains the Patron spells, it wouldn't seem to matter that they could use Invoke Patron to also cast them.

I'm quite confused.

Am I simply overthinking this?
thogard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Patron Spells - Seeking Clarity

Post by thogard »

The bonded caster may cast invoke patron from once a week to four times a day, depending on the patron bond result. Spellburn is required, and indebtedness to the patron ensues.
Upon receiving a patron spell (again, depends on the patron bond check), he may use one of those castings to cast the patron spell instead, once per day. This also incurs a debt to the patron.
GGWithrow
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Olympic Cards and Comics

Post by GGWithrow »

Yes, that is my impression from the book as well.

However, it seemed strange to me that there are three Patron spells and at maximum, a character could only receive two of those.

Again, I am likely overthinking it.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

The spells could also be gifted subsequently. The Patron has something directly available to offer the character in that. That is, they could sub them for Invoke, if they're bonded strongly enough, but the Patron can reward the character with spells, for example.

Also, having a Patron could allow those spells to become available as full-on spells, when the character is leveling-up. "You have served me well, little worm.... Here, have this!"

Many journeys are possible...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Rules discussion”