Simplifing number of tables house rule

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Archivist
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: TGG

Simplifing number of tables house rule

Post by Archivist »

Just curious to see if anyone had seen any house rules that:
replaced per-spell magic tables with a general effects table
replaced multiple critical hit tables with a single effects table
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Simplifing number of tables house rule

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Definitely not a direction I would go.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Not sure what the motivation is for eliminating those things (which I think are great features of the game)...

But if you want to simplify the spell tables, just define a result that a Wizard of a given level activates when his spellcheck is successful.

I.e., 1st Level Wizards generating a 12 or more activate the bracket that includes the 18, while 2nd Level Wizards activate the 22 result, etc.

If you don't mind me asking, what has you wanting to eliminate these bits of the game?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Archivist
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Archivist »

It's just a personal preference thing. My players are in love with the game. I'm "meh" about it, and the random tables drive me to distraction, but I like the other stuff about it. Seems like it would be a decent compromise ;-)
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

Way back in the mists of the pasts, there were some play-tests for DCC done at GaryCon. This was before dinosaurs...

Anyway, I was lucky enough to be roped into a game. I fell in love. One of the objects of my affection introduced in the second session (man, I really was lucky) was the spell tables. I was immediately smitten because it scratched an itch I had been trying to get at since 1979. But The Dark Lord and Master would not allow us to take the documents away...and I really wanted to because I had just started, a few months before, to write my own S&W variation and was looking for something just like this.

Since I have a memory similar to my lack of creativity, upon returning home to my rules/game I had to punt and just make things up. So I took the AD&D spells as a base, and then added a generic table (since I didn't have the time or creativity to come up with what became DCC Spell Tables). It went something like this...
Attachments
spell_table_generic.jpg
spell_table_generic.jpg (57.19 KiB) Viewed 12412 times
Archivist
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Archivist »

That's exactly what i was looking for!

Return to “Rules discussion”