Elfland?

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Tubalo
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: king

Elfland?

Post by Tubalo »

How does Elfland seems on DCC?
Houses in trees? Or castles surrounded by forests?

I was thinking of Elfland on an island like Melnibone of Moorcock
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Elfland?

Post by GnomeBoy »

Tubalo wrote:I was thinking of Elfland on an island like Melnibone of Moorcock
Elfland is such a magical place, it is exactly as you describe it... :wink:

My own leaning is toward magical barrows, like in Three Hearts and Three Lions, but until I can get an actual campaign going, it's all theory...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

So far the three times Elfland has been seen/visited it looked different each time.

Once it was a Giant Tree Fort that was one with the tree. Ugly deformed human servants/slaves went about a bizarre dizzying amount of pointless tasks that made more and more sense the longer you watched a location.

Once it was a City made of crystal or glass with tall spires that reached for the sky.Inside the glass if you looked close enough you could see beautiful slender faces with almond shaped eyes and pale white skin screaming with blood red lips.

Once it was a cottage in the middle of a glen with a old elven man inside who glanced at the party and smiled and they found themselves 100 years in the future tired and weary with fading music and strange memories of endless dance and many many battle scares and all harboring some unknown deep loss.
Tubalo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Tubalo »

Excellent!
There must be few elven homes in the world. Small towns in forests. or valleys...
King of Elfland should live in the world of dreams ...
Tubalo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Tubalo »

I have a doubt.
Would Elfland be in another dimension?
All the elves came from there
Are there elf kingdoms in the realms of man?
thanks.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

First things first. If you can, read Lord Dunsany's The King of Elfland's Daughter and Poul Anderson's The Broken Sword. I believe that you can get the first as a free ebook download from Project Gutenberg. (Actually, I just checked, and the best I could do was here: https://www.gutenberg.ca/ebooks/dunsany ... -00-h.html)

DCC products that might be of aid include (but are not necessarily limited to):

The Revelation of Mulmo *
DCC #66.5: Doom of the Savage Kings
DCC #72: Beyond the Black Gate
DCC #85.5: The Curse of the Kingspire *
DCC #92: Through the Dragonwall *
Patrons Extraordinary: The Unpretty Preview *
AL 5: Stars in the Darkness *
CE 8: Goblins of the Faerie Woods *
FT 0: Prince Charming, Reanimator
FT 1: Creeping Beauties of the Wood *
FT 2: The Portsmouth Mermaid
FT 2.1: Three Nights in Portsmouth
Sanctum Secorum Episode #01 Companion: The Shadow People *
Sanctum Secorum Episode #04 Companion: Elric of Melniboné
Angels, Daemons, and Beings Between: Expanded, Otherworldy Edition *

The resources marked with an asterisk (*) are the ones I think are most helpful in creating your world's version of Elfland.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Tubalo wrote:Would Elfland be in another dimension?
Yes. But it is a dimension that intersects our own.
All the elves came from there
Or their ancestors did.
Are there elf kingdoms in the realms of man?
That's entirely up to the judge. For most campaigns, the likely answer is Yes.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Elfland is at the North Pole, where the bearded old Elfking keeps the elves as his minions.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Tubalo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Tubalo »

Thank you!
curiously I'm reading The Broken Sword . It's a beautiful and violent book! :D
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Ravenheart87 wrote:Elfland is at the North Pole, where the bearded old Elfking keeps the elves as his minions.
You'll find that in the first adventure in Perils of the Cinder Claws. Elves entering the workshop must succeed in a Will save or start making toys.

Seriously.

http://nerdtrek.com/ht-1-the-perils-of- ... claws-dcc/
SoBH pbp:

thogard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by thogard »

I'm currently reading the late Tom Deitz's David Sullivan series (Windmaster's Bane &c.), which has a nicely developed cosmology of Faerie and other realms.
Tubalo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Tubalo »

And appearance of the elves?
All are high and beautiful
Only Elfking has a beard?

I imagine they are high and strong. Since they are good warriors

But I like them with the strange appearance too. Wearing green cap :lol:
sorry my bad english
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Tubalo wrote:And appearance of the elves?
All are high and beautiful
Only Elfking has a beard?

I imagine they are high and strong. Since they are good warriors

But I like them with the strange appearance too. Wearing green cap :lol:
sorry my bad english
They are as you say they are.
SoBH pbp:

brainszine
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Fun Again Games

Post by brainszine »

Elfland is called the Deep Woods by men and no mortals may enter under penalty of death. The King of Elfland is tasked with guarding the gate to the Underworld and his subjects may pass back and forth freely to visit their mother Ildavir who resides below the earth with the other Neutral gods. Elves who are cast out (or choose to leave) Elfland become mortal and lose their magic and memory of their homeland, though the amnesia does tend to lift as they rise in character level.
Tubalo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Tubalo »

Elfland is called the Deep Woods by men and no mortals may enter under penalty of death. The King of Elfland is tasked with guarding the gate to the Underworld and his subjects may pass back and forth freely to visit their mother Ildavir who resides below the earth with the other Neutral gods. Elves who are cast out (or choose to leave) Elfland become mortal and lose their magic and memory of their homeland, though the amnesia does tend to lift as they rise in character level.
So how did the players' elves end up in the mortal world?
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Elfland is the ancestral home of the elven race, and is an island that can only be sailed to by enchanted ships that can slip over the horizon where sea meets sky at dawn or dusk. The land itself is at once an isle divied up by the faeri ancestors of modern elves (wild/wood elves, the sidhe/high elves, sluagh/dark elves, etc.) and darker and stranger denizens (redcaps, trolls, gnomes, etc.) it is also (some say a branch of) a colossal tree whose branches stretch into ever loftier realms obscured in mist and myth.

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
brainszine
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Fun Again Games

Post by brainszine »

Tubalo wrote:
So how did the players' elves end up in the mortal world?
PC elves are those banished from the Deep Woods by the King of Elfland, criminals who have been, in effect, sentenced to death by the loss of immortality. Or else they have chosen to leave for reasons of their own, perhaps on orders from their patron or because they are Chaotic or Good in alignment and find themselves unwelcome in the Neutral-dominated Elflands.
BernieTheFlumph
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by BernieTheFlumph »

Elfland is a dimensional incursion of an alien world into Earth. It looks like a 1970s psychedelic blacklight poster.
The perpetual twilight of Elfland is illuminated by the giant glowing ulfire mushrooms whose light is scattered by the crystalline leaves of kaleidoscope trees.
Elfish nobles clad in glass armor stride through fields of narcotic flowers and ride their giant wasp and mantis mounts into war.
-Josh Burnett-
Bernie the Flumph
Tubalo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Tubalo »

Elfland is a dimensional incursion of an alien world into Earth. It looks like a 1970s psychedelic blacklight poster.
The perpetual twilight of Elfland is illuminated by the giant glowing ulfire mushrooms whose light is scattered by the crystalline leaves of kaleidoscope trees.
Elfish nobles clad in glass armor stride through fields of narcotic flowers and ride their giant wasp and mantis mounts into war.
Cool!!! :shock:
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

BernieTheFlumph wrote:Elfland is a dimensional incursion of an alien world into Earth. It looks like a 1970s psychedelic blacklight poster.
I think I just found my Elfland.

Is that from your own fevered brain — or is there a particular source(book) for that vision?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Tubalo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Tubalo »

And how would it be little elven towns outside Elfland? Houses in trees? Castles in hills? Or both?
Tubalo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Tubalo »

Poul Anderson's elves live in castles. And not in houses within trees.
Tubalo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Tubalo »

I think I'm going to put all the places like cities, castles and fortresses of the elves between the mortal world and the dream world.
Elfland, this one exists in the north pole, where the elven King resides, that also between the two worlds.
In this way, architecture would be something beautiful and alien.
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

I love the blacklight poster motif... definitely DCC! I borrow from faeri lore for elven origins, taking from Irish legend and Whitewolf's Changeling book. In both, entrances to the fae realm are often where two extremes meet (ie land/sea, sea/sky, day/night, summer/spring, east/west (like at the poles), etc) or in faeri rings or groves.

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
Tubalo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Tubalo »

I love the blacklight poster motif... definitely DCC! I borrow from faeri lore for elven origins, taking from Irish legend and Whitewolf's Changeling book. In both, entrances to the fae realm are often where two extremes meet (ie land/sea, sea/sky, day/night, summer/spring, east/west (like at the poles), etc) or in faeri rings or groves.
Yes
These kingdoms would be inside forests and distant hills.
The elves were a dominant people in the distant past, enslaving humans, but their empire has fallen, now they are "hidden" among the worlds.

Return to “Judges' Forum”