The Mystic: The First Class

Forum for discussing DCC RPG characters, classes, and character-related subjects.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

FLP
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: game kastle

The Mystic: The First Class

Post by FLP »

Hey people of the DCC community!

I am here to say I have created a class for DCC! It is called the Mystic. This class focuses itself on makeing illusions and other fun things to debuff your opponents. Also, which alignment you pick matters! Different alignments play differently: Lawful = wizard type, Neutral = Spell sword (kinda roguey) type, and chaotic is a brute of a warrior that can cast still cast some spells :) I hope you guys enjoy, please comment on your critiques :)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fj3 ... sp=sharing
FLP
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: The Mystic: The First Class

Post by FLP »

Oh and I am sorry for the one large table. It got messed up and I did not know how to fix it :) I originally created this in a different word processor and copy/pasted it into google docs
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

You should've exported the document to pdf and share that.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
FLP
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by FLP »

Here is the PDF version with fixed tables :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5mbV8 ... sp=sharing
xandarr2000
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Black & Read or Atomic Goblin

Post by xandarr2000 »

Thank you very much for creating the class and thanks for changing it up to PDF format. I know it was extra work and it is appreciated =D Once I get more comfortable with running the base game I look forward to working this clan in to the options. It looks like flavor wise it will fit in well.
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Post by BanjoJohn »

Here are my thoughts:
Armor, none of the original classes are proficient in armor, it just lists what they might prefer to stick to because of armor check penalties applying to spellcasting for elfs and wizards, and applying to stealth rolls for theifs. You could change the wording to reflect that they prefer to wear armor up to hide, but really there isnt a limit in what they could wear.

Each of the alignments feels like seperate classes rather than a single class with slightly different abilities. I know this might seem like what you were going for, but I don't see the abilities of the lawful or neutral mystic balancing out the 1d10 hp of the chaotic mystic.

Lawful Diversion, maybe the penalty could be better? you are giving up a point of stamina after all. Maybe its -1 for the rest of the combat, or -1 for the day, or -1d instead of just -1.

The theif skills the neutral mystic gets are things I could also see the lawful and chaotic mystic getting. I would look at the halfling as an example of how you could just simplify things. They have "sneak and hide" which is just to say that they get the same bonus for sneak silently and hide in shadows at every level.

Also spellcasting should be the same for each alignment as well, as far as spells known.

So, here are my suggestions.

Each mystic of every alignment has the same 1d6 HP hit die.

Each mystic of every alignment has access to "sneak silently" "disguise self" and "hide in shadows". Call it something unique like "Mystery Shadow", dont reference the theif table, just make it a part of the main Mystic table the same as attack bonus and whatnot, each skill gets the same bonus like the halfling gets with "Sneak and Hide", make it something like.. +2 +4 +6 +7 +8 +10 +11 +12 +13 +14

Each alignment gets the same 'spells known' and 'max spell level' at every level.

Let each alignment use Mystic Chains the same number of times each day.

Keep Lawful diversion for lawful mystics, flanking for neutral mystics, and chaotic disruption for chaotic mystics, these unique abilities are what should make the mystics different from each other
FLP
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by FLP »

thank you banjo john for your suggestion :) I love your suggestions and I think I will release a new version of the Mystic with these changes. Thank you for being so helpful on both the mystic and the treeperson. :)
FLP
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by FLP »

oh and sorry for the whole armor thing. I think I was thinking of D&D for some reason. My bad :)
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Post by BanjoJohn »

Yeah, with so many editions of D&D and then games like DCC, pathfinder, and who knows what else all using d20 systems it can blend together. I'd like to see your updated Mystic when you have it ready.

Return to “Characters”