Two player DCC?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

aboleth
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Medieval Starship

Two player DCC?

Post by aboleth »

Has anyone tried running DCC for two players while using published modules? If so, how many PCs did they handle? Did you boost their level compared to the published level?

Two friends want to play a tabletop RPG (first time), and I think DCC's overriding dungeon-oriented approach to roleplaying, coupled with the unforgiving nature of the system and the appendix N flavor, will appeal to them. I asked what sort of system they might be interested in, and they only asked that if they die, they want it to be due to their poor decisions, not randomness.

I want the session to focus on tactics, on exploration, etc. and not crunching numbers on 8 PCs. That will almost certainly scare them away.

My plan is to run Doom of the Savage Kings and, I guess, give each player one 2nd- or 3rd-level PC. Maybe cut out one or two enemies from the "ambush" encounter. Beyond that, they're on their own!

However, if anyone has any experience with this or suggests another system might be more appropriate, my backup plan is to run Doom but with BRP rules. I have my heart set on DCC, though.

Thanks for any input / advice!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Two player DCC?

Post by GnomeBoy »

One word: Hirelings.

More words: No real need for them to run multiple PCs. Have them take hirelings with them, and maybe you kind of all run them, collectively. Then it's like Fahfrd and Grey Mouser with some hangers-on. The players can order the hirelings around, and they obey to the best of their abilities/mind-set (GM influence). The hirelings can't overshadow the PC, because they don't have class abilities, but they can pack some oomph in numbers.

Just popped into my head: Is this branching off from the discussion on G+? Or is it just coincidentally about the same thing? 8)
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
aboleth
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by aboleth »

Lol, second time I've written out a detailed response only to get logged out and have my post wiped.

Long story short: a) coincidence, b) thank you, hirelings are a great idea; I'm gonna also have the players recruit NPCs from Hirot (as additional 0-lvl PCs), and c) Sailors is sooo much more straightforward, I'm thinking I might wanna run that instead. But Hound is just so cool. Everything about it kills it--main worry is I don't know if I can do it justice in a single evening. Will update after Fri's play through.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Yeah, the forum wants us totypefast! :lol:

I should have 'handily' mentioned that hireling info is on Page 310, too... :wink:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
ProdigalWilliam
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Everybody Reads

Post by ProdigalWilliam »

A trick you can use to avoid getting bumped off when making long posts is to select remain logged in when you log in to the forum.
MoD Demi-humans
Elrod, Elven Sage - 2hp, 11AC, HP: 2, str16(+2) agl13(+1) sta8(-1) per15(+1) int10(0) luc10(0); init: 1; ref(1), fort(-1), wil(1)
Pitchfork +2 (1d8+2); Chest: (rope (50'), Parchment, quill pen, 15 cp)

Celebron, Elven Barrister - 2hp, 10AC, str11(0) agl9(0) sta11(0) per12(0) int15(+1) luc5(-2); init: 0; ref(0), fort(0), wil(0); Lucky Sign: Hawkeye (Missile fire damage rolls) (1)
Dagger (1d4), Quill (1d4+1); Lg Sack: (Book, Candle, Torches (3), 20 cp)

Halfling, Halfling Vagrant - 4hp, 10AC, str11(0) agl9(0) sta12(0) per9(0) int14(+1) luc10(0); init: 0; ref(0), fort(2), wil(0); Lucky Sign: Lived through famine (Fortitude saving throws) (+2)
Club (1d4); Lg Sack: (Begging Bowl, Oil Flask, Flint+Steel, Iron Spikes 3)

Legolad, Elven Falconer - 1hp, 10AC, str8(-1) agl9(0) sta15(+1) per7(-1) int13(+1) luc14(+1); init: 0; ref(0), fort(1), wil(1); Lucky Sign: Survived the plague (Magical healing) (1)
Dagger -1 (1d4-1); Lg Sack: (Torches 2, Chalk 2); Falcon, Aerandir
aboleth
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by aboleth »

Thanks for the tips guys! I ended up having three players, who each had three characters. And to be doubly protected I wrote my monstrously long playthrough post in an email first, juuust to be safe haha.

I have a feeling hirelings are going to get a lot of use before the Hound is finally vanquished...
Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Game Kastle

Post by Max_The_Judge »

Two players or two PCs?
Losloris8
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Ted's Hobby Shop

Post by Losloris8 »

I am currently enjoying a serious campaign of four players, seven PCs in a world we are are creating. One PC and mine are also enjoying a series of side adventures in the same world in a kind of alternat time line . In real people terms he is much more readily available than the goup so we bend rules and make a good time work.

We are on our third adventure. The first was a solo trip through revenge of the rat king. The second was with NPCs A & B (with whom we formed a good group) through a part of Interludes. Now for the third we two are traveling with NPCs B & C (C is a bit of a stick in the mud much like the various commodores that got in the way in the original Star Trek) while going through another part of Interludes.

I like the dynamics we have created in how to handle these additional personalities. It is neat the have B twice. And, it is also exciting to be changing the group math entirely from one adventure to the next . Currently we have a thief and cleric. Guest B is a fighter and C a mage.

LG

Return to “DCC RPG General”