Adding new characters to the party after level 0

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

mAc Chaos
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Showcase Comics

Adding new characters to the party after level 0

Post by mAc Chaos »

How do you handle adding new PCs to the party? For example, in my own game, I had 3 friends, and 1 of them lost all of their PCs in the funnel. There's a 4th friend who wasn't there with us.

So 2 of my friends have level 1 characters, and the other 2 friends don't. Are you supposed to just make new characters at level 1, or run everybody through a funnel again, or do a funnel and have the existing level 1 PCs brought along? Or something else?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Adding new characters to the party after level 0

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Under the circumstances you describe, I would either

(1) Run a second funnel, or
(2) Run a 1st level adventure where some players have 4 0-level PCs.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
michaelsandar
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: the Griffon

Post by michaelsandar »

We've done the 'first level adventure' with a mix of 1st and 0 level pc's before, and it works fine. Give the players who have no characters four 0's each, and track their xp like normal.
PERCIVAL, N, Halfling dyer, S12, A10, S9, P13, I6, L11 (previously 12), AC10, HP2, Staff +0 1d4, hand axe, Init 0, R0, F0, W+1, Small sack, 3 yards fabric, 10' chain, torch, Righteous heart (Turn unholy checks), Com

EIBUR, C, Potato Farmer, deceased
SILAS, L, Ostler, deceased
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

What they said. 8)

Also, next time consider those that still have Zeroes lending a character or two to a player who loses all of theirs -- unless maybe the Funnel is in it's final moments... Alternately, if there is *any* possibility of finding 'captives' or 'another party' or whatever, have the person quickly stat up 4 new Zeroes and play with those.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
mAc Chaos
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Showcase Comics

Post by mAc Chaos »

If I mix and match level 1s and 0s, is there a good measure for how many level 0s = a level 1 PC?

Like if I do a level 1 adventure, how do I know I'm not making it too easy or too hard when everyone isn't the right level.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

The Zeroes are supposed to be squishy. And they level pretty quickly. If the player's of Zeroes have 3 or 4 that should 'count' as one 1st Level character, especially since that's what they'll end up with soon enough.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I usually go with 4.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

I've read in a couple modules where the recommendation is for like 8-10 level 1 characters or 10-20 0s, so I count two 0s as one 1.

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
bfg2600
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Colosseum of comics

Post by bfg2600 »

I just let them pick a character class they like and roll up the character, I don't really like funnels I think they're kind of a waste of time, just have them roll up a new character or go to purple sorcerer and just make a pregen with their app

In your case you since your at level 1 you can probably have them make 4 level 0's and just treat the 1st level adventure as a module, I've actually run frozen in time as a funnel before, but at higher levels you most likely will have to just roll up a character of appropriate level
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I have done things like "roll 4 0s and choose 1 to promote to 1st level" as well. It depends upon what you want to do.
SoBH pbp:

Stonedog
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Stonedog »

Something I've done is have the party find a few characters in a dungeon that were incapacitated somehow.....and those characters were rolled up to be at the same level as the other characters.....but at the lowest level of the entire party. I also made them figure out how to play their new "found" characters without any starting equipment....asking for loans from other characters and such...

That being said, I've only done this with my son and daughter (12 and 10 respectively) and any of their friends in the group.
Losloris8
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Ted's Hobby Shop

Post by Losloris8 »

Im sort of with stonedog; find characters with nothing or next to. We recently needed a new PC so I had the group meet up with other adventurers . It was a nasty scrap but all of the other party died but one. When the party started to question the survivor it became clear that she had been spelled by her party Mage, who was now dead and his spell affects were fading . As dm, that freed me of having to develop a whole backstory - hers was totally forgotten as a result of the spell.

LG

Return to “DCC RPG General”