Leveling up during or after Sailors?

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Froggie5
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: mega bite cafe

Leveling up during or after Sailors?

Post by Froggie5 »

Greetings, I am preparing to run Sailors on the Starless Sea for the first time and was wondering what folks do in terms of leveling up characters. Do you wait until the adventure is completed before raising the survivors to level 1 or do you level them up in the midst of the adventure (between the levels perhaps) in order to improve their chances of surviving the lower level? Many thanks in advance for your thoughts and tips.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: Leveling up during or after Sailors?

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Don't go soft on them. This adventure was built for zeroes. I've ran it three time,s and all groups succeeded with at least half the adventurers surviving. Casualties can be replaced too mid-adventure when they release the prisoners. Also, what's the point in running a funnel adventure if you only run half of it as a funnel? The whole adventure is about fearing for their lifes, going against impossible odds, using their creativity and poor resources. Leveling up midway would deprive from the full experience of going through Sailors on the Starless Sea.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I advocate leveling at 10 XP....but I advocate doing what feels best to you even more.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
fym66
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by fym66 »

I typically run a lot of con or gameday games, so if you don't level midway or 3/4 then you don't level at all. So, I let them level. I kill about 2-3 of their 4 starting, then they level one they can play from then on.
Froggie5
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Froggie5 »

Thanks for the replies. I had intended to level up after but then read a number of after action reports in which folks stated they allowed the characters to level up before the conclusion. For those who do allow leveling up, how do you handle spells for now-first level wizards and elves? From where do they supposedly get these new spells and spell-casting abilities? Thanks again
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Froggie5 wrote:Thanks for the replies. I had intended to level up after but then read a number of after action reports in which folks stated they allowed the characters to level up before the conclusion. For those who do allow leveling up, how do you handle spells for now-first level wizards and elves? From where do they supposedly get these new spells and spell-casting abilities? Thanks again
I follow the suggestion in the book, and make them study to get those spells. BUT I also use a house rule to let them get them early AND I try to include items to make a wizard or elf useful before he/she gains spells. Sometimes. Life as a wizard is hard sometimes...and also easy at others.

http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/2012/0 ... ls-on.html
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Buttmonkey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Buttmonkey »

I've run it 3 times and did not level until after on each occasion. I had really smart and successful players the first time. The 2nd and 3rd times were blood baths (we had 20+ PC deaths the 3rd time) -- I was basically shoving new character sheets at the players after each encounter the last two times.

One thing to keep in mind with leveling during the funnel is that your players may not be familiar with all of the class abilities that kick in at first level. For experienced players that isn't an issue, but you could really bog the game down trying to explain all of the class abilities mid-session.

One hybrid approach would be to allow PCs to get the 1st level hit point bump, but reserve class abilities until after the session is completed.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Buttmonkey wrote:...One thing to keep in mind with leveling during the funnel is that your players may not be familiar with all of the class abilities that kick in at first level. For experienced players that isn't an issue, but you could really bog the game down trying to explain all of the class abilities mid-session....
On the flipside, demihumans have no choice to make... and humans have to pick one of four distinct options. I know there are various 'quicksheet' type Class summaries out there on the web, too, to make this process even faster.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Froggie5
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Froggie5 »

Thanks all for the tips!
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

i have slowly developed quite a dislike for leveling up during any given 'module' or 'active play'. now it seems to me that it should be 'downtime' activity. cue in montage of a hero practicing kung fu.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”