Seeing the game within the game

Forum for discussing DCC RPG characters, classes, and character-related subjects.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

bat
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Seeing the game within the game

Post by bat »

Perhaps I was dropped a time or three too many as a kid, landing on my head, or snapped somewhere along the line afterwards, but do others make classes and bend races into other shapes using DCC as a toolkit? A dwarf bard, a halfling vizier, life is tough enough, once the players crawl out of the funnel why not give them the illusion of getting ahead with a few tweaks? I have been on an AS&SH kick to be honest and I wrote a few weird demihumans to use in that game then thought, 'Is making a few changes in DCC to accommodate AS&SH classes with DCC races that hard?' Sure it is a little work, but I am running a game with a dwarf bard that is basically a cleric of a trickster dwarf deity with a focus on a musical instrument to invoke the magic from his patron. This caused me to add five spells and a patron, and give a few more thief-like abilities to the dwarf. Nothing game breaking. Does anyone else take this toolkit approach and color outside of the lines every so often?
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: Seeing the game within the game

Post by Ravenheart87 »

In my Terminus campaign I had 30+ races, each with their own profession charts, and I had elite specializations for the four core classes. You are not alone. DCC RPG is a great toolkit.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
bat
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by bat »

Ravenheart87 wrote:In my Terminus campaign I had 30+ races, each with their own profession charts, and I had elite specializations for the four core classes. You are not alone. DCC RPG is a great toolkit.

Good to know. It seems to me that a lot of people have gotten very 'rules as written' over the years and don't venture out there. Maybe with the proliferation of the 'splatbook' mentality people wait around for something down the pipeline, but there is no reason not to just dive in.
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

Yeah I have done it as race as class, race is not class and race has it's own class types. All that said most of the times my players just don't seem to care. Every great once in a while it comes up and I'm like..this is what I'm thinking right now and they just kind of look at me and say "Cool" no matter what my thoughts seem to be.

So.....whatever floats your goat. Go for it.

Floating your goat needs to catch on. I'm trying but we all need to do our part to make goat floating a reality.
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

I prefer race as class but you can certainly play it your way; we all do one way or another

Return to “Characters”