Hi! New member here

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

dawnrazor
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Collector's Point

Hi! New member here

Post by dawnrazor »

New DDC:er here. I've had the PDF for a long time, but it wasn't until I bought the book a few days ago that I really got the game! It has been on my bucket list for long but I've hesitated due to already owning far too many versions of D&D and because I'm not sure that some of my players will appreciate the delicate workings and mindset of DCC.

Screw that. They're getting funnelled :)

Like most people here I'm a "geezer". Started playing b/x in 1981-82 and went on to AD&D after about a year as I recall. When 2e came out in 1989 we abandoned D&D for other games like Call of Cthulhu, CyberPunk 2013, Traveller, GURPS etc. Then we had a 17 year RPG hiatus due to studies, careers, girlfriends/wives, kids, houses. All that adult stuff. You know what I'm talking about, I'm sure.

However, I kept on reading about games and even bought the occasional gaming book. Around my divorce in 2008 my interest in RPGs increased (therapy?) and I started lobbying with my old crew to start gaming again. Funny thing is, that when I mentioned D&D, they finally said yes. And after one session they were hooked :) Since 2011 we play regularly and have introduced new blood into our ranks (wives, kids and new people). Aside from that I play in a weekly 5e hangouts game and will try some PbP also.

Most of the time I'm behind the GM screen, but I get to play also. My RPG interest has branched out to running an RPG blog as well as writhing some adventure modules for Blood & Treasure and Swords & Wizardry, and at the moment I'm working on a thing for Fantastic Heroes & Witchery.

I live in the South of Sweden and are now married to the sweetest woman (who's also into games, fantasy and horror). We have 2 kids (every other week) and a small but vicious dog.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and hope to have many fun moments with DCC.
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Hi! New member here

Post by Weisenwolf »

Hello and welcome Dawnrazor,

yes that's a pretty typical history for the DCC community; I got a cat and no divorce but otherwise your bio is a close match :lol:
JonHook
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Tabletop Games and 31st Century Games

Post by JonHook »

Welcome Dawnrazor! Be sure to also check out Goodman Games' 5e adventures. You might like what you find there as well.

5E Products
Sudo Dragon
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Sudo Dragon »

Welcome Dawnrazor,
If you get a chance check out spellburn.com's podcast. They do a great job of going over all sorts of DCC related (judge & player) things.

No will save was failed in promoting the spellburn podcast.
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

Heyas!

Funnel the Heck out of em!
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

Welcome! Let us know how your players like it. My experienced players had some initial doubts, but the system sucked them in...now they all love it. I haven't had a single request to go back to D&D.
dawnrazor
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Collector's Point

Post by dawnrazor »

Thanks everyone :)

We're in the middle of some adventuring in Frog God Games Lost Lands setting, using the Blood & Treasure rules, but when we have a natural "break" in that campaign, I'll throw them into "Sailors".
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

dawnrazor wrote:Thanks everyone :)

We're in the middle of some adventuring in Frog God Games Lost Lands setting, using the Blood & Treasure rules, but when we have a natural "break" in that campaign, I'll throw them into "Sailors".
I'd throw them into Doom of the Savage Kings first (even though it's listed as a 1st level adventure). For me, it seemed a better transition from Doom to Sailors -- And Sailors is plenty rough enough for 1st level characters, as well. We had two survive.

Also, if you have a Google+ account, there's a vibrant DCC community there -- lots of resources, mindshares and general insanity -- and you might be able to jump into a G+ Hangouts game to get your feet wet with the rules.

Welcome!
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
IronDM72
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Frontline

Post by IronDM72 »

Welcome to group boss also the spellburn podcast is awesome!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

JonHook wrote:Welcome Dawnrazor! Be sure to also check out Goodman Games' 5e adventures. You might like what you find there as well.

5E Products
+1 to this. I'm currently running some of the Goodman "Fifth Edition Fantasy" modules for my weekly game at the local game store, and they are enjoying them a lot more than they liked the official Adventurer's League stuff.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Semi-Retired Gamer
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Wizard's Asylum

Post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

Welcome to the boards, Dawnrazor!
Charlie
----------------------------------------------------
I (mainly) blog about role-playing topics at The Semi-Retired Gamer.

Reading: The Lair of Bones by David Farland.
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

dawnrazor wrote:Thanks everyone :)

My lot took to it like a duck to water, it was like the first D&D game back in the day and because much of the material isn't commercial and there is a focus on adventures rather than more rules, there is loads of it and the quality is very high. AND the wonder simply isn’t wearing off; it’s as if we are collectively so delighted to recapture the feeling that nobody is going to let it go.
remotenemesis
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Game Kastle, Fremont

Post by remotenemesis »

Weisenwolf wrote:[...]it was like the first D&D game back in the day and because much of the material isn't commercial and there is a focus on adventures rather than more rules, there is loads of it and the quality is very high. AND the wonder simply isn’t wearing off; it’s as if we are collectively so delighted to recapture the feeling that nobody is going to let it go.

It's why I Judge and why I play.
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

When I drop off this mortal coil I'm having the real leather 4th Edition rules buried with me; give me something to do in the afterlife :lol:

Return to “DCC RPG General”