module compability

Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar setting, home to the legendary Fafhrd and Gray Mouser, is the first officially licensed setting for the DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

module compability

Post by catseye yellow »

as it says. i would love to know if i can use 'regular' dcc modules with little or no change with dccL characters?
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: module compability

Post by finarvyn »

We don't have any official word yet, but I think that since DCC Lankhmar is fundamentally DCC that most of the rules will still apply and therefore non-DCC modules could be run as Lankhmar modules and so forth.

The rules changes I've heard about so far don't seem to be "game changers" to the point where a module wouldn't be compatible from one rules set to the other.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

the only game changer that i see is exclusion of clerics. i am really curious to see what is the alternative to clerical healing.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

catseye yellow wrote:the only game changer that i see is exclusion of clerics. i am really curious to see what is the alternative to clerical healing.
...Good old "resting"...?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

GnomeBoy wrote:
catseye yellow wrote:the only game changer that i see is exclusion of clerics. i am really curious to see what is the alternative to clerical healing.
...Good old "resting"...?
Don't fight as much. Talk your way out of trouble?
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

I don't know much about Lankhmar, but I don't see myself changing much. Even if Lankmar stories don't have clerics, I can't imagine my game without one. I will probably just run Lankhmar as another alternate planet or dimension for my DCC campaign and use all the same rules and characters.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

that playtest report mentioned using luck in some way to 'heal' damage. i am itching to find more.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

The nice thing is that none of the tweaks mentioned so far in this thread (or any rules adjustments that I've seen posted elsewhere) seem to be an issue as far as module compatibility goes. :D
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

my thoughts excatly but i am just chatting up myself like an alcoholic waitng for a barman to bring him a drink.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

catseye yellow wrote:my thoughts excatly but i am just chatting up myself like an alcoholic waitng for a barman to bring him a drink.
I'm with you on this 100%. It's almost a crime to give us a Lankhmar teaser then tell us almost nothing about it. And I haven't been able to get ahold of the Ningauble module yet, either, so I can't even lord that over folks. :lol:
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

i am waiting for the pdf. although i suspect once i have it it will just further wet my appetite.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

catseye yellow wrote:...wet my appetite.
It's "whet" actually, as in to sharpen. "Whet my appetite." One of those wacky things where two words sound pretty much the same but aren't quite. My wife uses the phrase "the point is mute" instead of "the point is moot" because she'd never seen it in print. It makes sense her way, too, I suppose. :lol:

And as to your actual point, I agree. Actually, I'll take the PDF or the print copy or anything I can get my grubby hands on. Even someone with a copy just telling me more about it. I'm not picky. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

ha! live and learn. of course i have never seen it in print.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

No prob. Sorry if I sounded like a jerk. It occurred to me after I posted that it might have come off as being a little snarky. Not my intent at all. :(

Oh, and I see that the print version of the Ningauble module is listed as for sale on the GG webpage. :D
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

everything fine. don't worry.
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

finarvyn wrote:Even someone with a copy just telling me more about it. I'm not picky. 8)
I have it. It's approx 15 pages long, not including cover, full page art, or map. Speaking of the map it's presented as two pages of geomorphs as the Cave is always changing.

It's not an adventure, it's more of a supplement focused on Ningauble and his cave. That said, besides a half-dozen landmarks within the Cave (Trembling Bridge, Pit of Ultimate Truth, Pool of Consequences, Staircase of Error, Great Gate, Audience Cave), five possible entrances/exits are detailed (1 Ilthmar & the Sinking Lands 2 the Sea of Monsters & the City of Ghouls 3 Ool Hrusp of the Land of the Eight Cities 4 Rime Isle 5 Quarmall) and with each are two adventure ideas and one fully fleshed out encounter.

Ningauble is fully presented as a DCCRPG patron (no unique spells). Doug Kovacs' kickass art is featured throughout and Ratface Slipshot makes a welcome return.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

RATFACE! i want filcher took back too!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Rick wrote:
finarvyn wrote:Even someone with a copy just telling me more about it. I'm not picky. 8)
I have it. It's approx 15 pages long, not including cover, full page art, or map.
Thanks for the detailed info. 8)

The geomorphic map is a clever idea, but since it's Goodman Games I start to expect that on a regular basis. Love the multiple exits with adventure hooks. Can't wait to see the Kovacs artwork!
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Nyarlathotep5150
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Nyarlathotep5150 »

As far as healing, they could just take the easiest route and just further abstract what hit points represent. Instead of having it be an amount of "cuts and scrapes." have it represent your fighting spirit/stress/fatigue (similar to how it works in Transylvanian Adventures). Then they could just create a Courtesan style class with healing powers (insert lay on hands joke here). Similar to how Fallen Empire made the Witch class to fix the loss of the Cleric, for the exact same reason.
I hope they do something more profound than that, but that is a quick and easy fix. When in doubt, reskin it.
Either way, can't wait for the boxset.
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

I think it would fit the flavor much better to have Cleric as a modified class. This setting is actually one of the few that had tons of religion and priests in it from the S&S era.

It's just the cleric didn't act like the typical rpg healer.

I say leave cleric in but take out healing and turn it into some luck based thing.

Let Clerics be unshackled from their healing chains!

Now that would take a major reworking of the class but it shouldn't be too hard.
Nyarlathotep5150
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Nyarlathotep5150 »

Or just have a luck based healing but give a class a variant of the Halfling lucky charm bonus. To give people luck back. I don't know how they'll actually do it, but I have faith that it will be awesome.
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

catseye yellow wrote:RATFACE! i want filcher took back too!

My rough idea is that any illos featuring band memebers in the Lankhmar stuff happened prior to Sailors on the Starless Sea.
Filcher Took might still be alive but since there are no halflings native to Lankhmar it is unlikely he will pop up, but who knows… I didn't know I would be bringing Ratface Back until I needed to figure out why the band would be in Lankhmar at all following the whole sundering of the band on the Purple Planet.
Turns out they are aren't. They were there before and they may have even met Shana in Ninguables cave. I'm not sure about that yet.
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
http://dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
http://dougkovacs.com/dkblog/
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Doug Kovacs wrote:...since there are no halflings native to Lankhmar it is unlikely he will pop up, but who knows…
The whole thing with Ningauble's cave means that one can push the boundaries here at will and whim.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
emirikol
Gongfarmer

Post by emirikol »

Regarding non-cleric healing, we used "waste your gold on stuff" approach in our Hyborian games. Wasting gold meant that you were spending downtime drinking , gambling, fraternizing, etc. Find a suitable amount and say goodbye to the magical healing crutch forever :)

jh
fym66
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by fym66 »

Any movement on this? I'd like to run a Lanklhmar funnel for my characters. Any mods out there? Any level 1 mods after that?

Return to “DCC Lankhmar”